yo aussies...

the_gooch

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well man, if I was you I'd come to Perth to work.

Front page of the paper today had an article saying how only 500 teachers got positions last year and 750 left or retired. Apparently the average age of teachers here at present is pretty high, and they are expecting another 1/3 of the workforce to retire in the next 3 years or soomething. So with such a shortage you would have no trouble getting in, and I can only see pay rates getting better using my economic knowledge of supply and demand.

Serious question: What percent of your initial

income goes directly to taxes?

depends on your tax bracket, but prepare to wave bye-bye to between 25-30% at least. if you're smart you'll be able to get alot of it back at the end of the tax year. speak to an accountant after you get a job to find out ways of keeping your taxes low. some employers will let you deduct money out of your pre-tax wage for your bills etc, which brings your taxable wage down, therefore your taxes also shrink

Yeah, it is always a good idea to know the loopholes.

Because I was working, I have been able to claim all my uni fees (which I still owe to the govt) as income deductions due to it affecting my future earning capacity in the industry I am in. It was a great way to bring my taxable income down, and resulted in a nice tax return for me. Plus, when I go to pay it back I will get another tax offset if I decide to make voluntary contributions (which I will to get under a certain threshold).

You should definitely look into this, that is for sure.

Damn, I have a test in like 8 hours, and am not even tired.

My grandpa who used to live in Australia recently told my boyfriend he would fit in because he eats with both hands and uses his left hand to hold the fork. He just does it because he's left handed but the old man acts like everyone there does this.

Is this true?

I use the fork in my left hand.

Both actually. But I only use the knife

in my right hand.

I'm all America.

(i can feel a new thread brewing...)

edit:Thanks Mauler on the tax tip. I was asking because

the lady and I were talking about international taxation,

and she mentioned that, on average, Aussies get taxed upwards

of 60-70% of there initial income. I called bullshit, and she called

"hear say" and wasn't sure at all.

So it's not too far off of the US scale.

We hover around 20-30%... Anyone care to verify??

My grandpa who used to live in Australia recently told my boyfriend he would fit in because he eats with both hands and uses his left hand to hold the fork. He just does it because he's left handed but the old man acts like everyone there does this.

Is this true?

rental picked me up on this and i didn't even realise until she pointed it out.

i hold the fork in the left and the knife in right while i'm eating, whereas i've noticed alot of americans will cut their food up, put down the knife, then eat with their fork in the right hand.

fucking wierdos

i hold the fork in the left and the knife in right while i'm eating, whereas i've noticed alot of americans will cut their food up, put down the knife, then eat with their fork in the right hand.

fucking wierdos

Hey! Thats what I do..

fucking wierdos

what inefficient eating habits...

i hold fork in the left and knife in the right

food is good

I'm pretty sure the top bracket is like 48%, and hits when you earn around $65K to $70K with the new thresholds that came in, and that is rising by the year. But the thing is if you earn that much, get a good accountant or your employer to pay you in other ways to bring your income down as ABC said.

just to inform anyone who hasnt met an australian before, so you dont sound ignorant as fuck when you do...you pronounce aussie like ozzy

its funny, they actually pronounce it wrong in the commercial for the aussie hair products line...add a little roo to your 'do! they say ossie.

just to inform anyone who hasnt met an australian before, so you dont sound ignorant as fuck when you do...you pronounce aussie like ozzy

its funny, they actually pronounce it wrong in the commercial for the aussie hair products line...add a little roo to your 'do! they say ossie.

I hate the word