yo aussies...

the_gooch

so, i may want to skip out of the U.S. in a few years and i have several places in mind i that i may want to move to. australia is one of those places. that being said, i have a few questions:

what's the cost of living like: salaries, rent, transportation, etc. this will obviously vary from region to region, city to city, so what cities are better and more affordable?

also, what is the average salary for a teacher?

thanks in advance.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cost of living is pretty high in Sydney I can't speak for other cities.

any city outside of Sydney will be cheaper although i'm sure it's much of a muchness

depeneds on where you live this is for sydney

rent -160 -250 a week if you share a lot more if you want it to!

cheapest travel pass $33 goes upwards depending on how far out you live.

can of coke $2.00 roughly

big mac $3.45 roughly (meal is 5.45)

beer in pub $3.00-

http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/education/

will help give you a feel for the salary you could get as a teacher

all prices in aussie dollars 1 dollar about 78 US cents

i am a teacher here in australia (well, nearly fully qualified).

rent really varies alot... at the moment I live in northern NSW, out of major cities, me and my roommates pay $270 a week for a nice 3 bedroom house. you will have to ask other people for cost of rent in other places...

an average starting wage for a teacher is about AU$50,000, this will vary from state to state, and from public to private schools. pay is indexed up annually, if you are an experienced teacher, you may start on a higher wage. im not sure.

cost of living is hard to beat as far as rent/food/necessities go. luxuries can be quite expensive due to high import taxes, but overall the quality of life in australia is about as good as it gets.

save your dollars though, if you plan on emigrating permanently, it'd going to cost you a pretty penny. your qualifications will help seal the deal, but it's a very expensive venture, and a long process. australia is one of, if not the hardest country to permanently emigrate to.

really? wow, i didn't know that, thanks.

well i am trying to figure out several places that i may want to move to. i just want to lock in my masters and my certification in special ed. and then see where i can go from there. obviously money is a major factor.

Damn, come to West Oz, they are screaming for teachers.

But then again, you would most likely get shipped to a country town.

Avg rent here is about $250 to $450 depending on where you want to live.

It is bloody hot at the moment though, that is my only complaint at present, and I can't go to the beach til after my physio appointment at 3.

dam $2k? well, if it's worth it i would do it.

mauler, how country are the country towns?

i wonder how education certification from the states would flow.

i know aus. has a good graff scene, so that would be cool. also, the ladies, forget it! the accents alone are awesome!

also, how is the transportation system? is it easy to get around without a car?

cost of living is pretty high in Sydney I can't speak for other cities.

any city outside of Sydney will be cheaper although i'm sure it's much of a muchness

depeneds on where you live this is for sydney

rent -160 -250 a week if you share a lot more if you want it to!

cheapest travel pass $33 goes upwards depending on how far out you live.

can of coke $2.00 roughly

big mac $3.45 roughly (meal is 5.45)

beer in pub $3.00-

http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/education/

will help give you a feel for the salary you could get as a teacher

all prices in aussie dollars 1 dollar about 78 US cents

So what I gather from this is that Ausies pay rent by the week instead of by month. And yall pay about the same amount for a Big Mac meal and a beer at the bar, but a shit load more for rent.

I still think Australia is the place to be though. If you can do it. I wish I could.

Umm, in Perth it is easy to get around if you live near the train line. Rents are more expensive closer to the train though. The country towns aren't usually very 'hickish' just more isolated, with not too much to do. Can only speak about WA though, have no idea what it is like over east. However my mate moved from Sydney to Cairns and his speech slowed down dramatically, so take that as you will.

And fuel at the moment here is around $1.25 a litre. So it is getting expensive to drive. Public transport isn't the greatest, and Perth does have a dullsville reputation, and it is very insular. If you are after somewhere with a diverse nightlife, Perth isn't the place for you.

The best thing is it is only a 3 and a half hour drive Down South, where it is a total change of pace. A great place to escape to I reckon.

melbourne boy born & bred - not being biased but melbourne is king of the heap, cost of living isn't nearly as high as Sydney and wages are comparable, huge Italian/Greek population so food & cafe culture is a major drawcard. definitely a european feel to melbourne, my mrs lived in deutschland & uk and can attest to these claims...not as picturesque but its a calmer existence to the hustle of sydney

melbourne is the smallest state on the mainland too so you've got less distance to travel and see both sides of aus. (being the metropolis and the rural outback.)

i work in prepress/printing and pull a good enough wage to pay a mortgage and still buy more vinyl than i have time to listen to. commuting is easy enough, public transport is relatively reiable.....

seems to be plenty of teaching gigs but in the more remote areas.

and much of a muchness = much the same / 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other...basically sweet FA difference between the two

.....best walls in melbourne too!!!

I've also heard from tourists that.... Sydney is like America and Melbourne is like Europe. I don't know how true that call is. But I enjoy melbourne life.

Thats a pritty good summary, im from perth it's the most isolated city in the world but i think it's awesome to live in, most shit's cheap, rent is ok, and people drink alot here.

Perth tang clan.

But man, the pics I post are from the whole of Oz. Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne/Gold Coast/etc. There are beautys everywhere in Perth though. I see em at uni all the time, like multitudes. The only thing is the whole '2 degrees of separation that exists in my city. As an immigrant this wouldn't matter for a year or 2 though.

Funniest thing is though, I have a group assignment and have a hot chick in my group. Funnier still she is the hottest girl in the entire campus on Facebook. It is gonna be hard getting the work done for that one I am sure.

But in summary, as one of my friends has said, Perth is the best place in the world to come back to, although not the greatest place to be stuck in. Take that as you will.

Im finding rent in melbourne is resonably priced at the moment, for share accomodation, just really depends on which part of which suburb you wanto live in. In some Australian states like WA and NT there is a skills shortage in Teaching so income would be better there. I currently live in Melbourne and say out of all the states in Aus ive visited i like it the most.

rent is usually quoted by the week (in the paper, on the web etc) but you pay monthly. i know some places will accept it weekly though, if that's really how you want to pay. some places will just give you a card with a barcode that you can take to the post office and pay there whenever you want