recent graffiti movies

earl broclo ESQ

i'm just curious if i'm the only person who thought "bomb the system" was the biggest piece of shit movie. i thought it was bubble gum bullshit, and the whole MTV quality was fucking annoying. i rented the movie, with high expectations, but was let the fuck down big time. then i was reading a thread, and people were saying they loved it. how? it was so fucking gay, it made richard simmons look like conan the barbarian. the acting was pathetic, the fucking script was pathetic. the fucking ending --fucking gayer than butt sex. who the fuck is going to paint the brooklyn bridge in the rain --i don't care who just got killed. did anyone tell the director that painting in the rain is pretty much useless?

stupid fucking movie, stupid fucking attempt. there were aspects that were dead on, but the final product was corny. i hear the guy who wrote it, pretty much wasn't even a writer. he just went off stories some guy he worked with told him.

i won't even get started on that movie "the graffiti artist." don't even attempt to watch that one, unless you like dude on dude love.

if you haven't heard of bomb the system:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0337585/

i'm just opening this up for conversational purposes. if anyone has seen any good narratives, based on graff, let me know. i'm talking recent films, not beat street and wild style.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i'll have to look for "whole car." is it a narrative or a documentary? i love the german scene's style, so either way i'm sure i'll like it. as for "piece by piece" --i've been dying to see that since i heard about it. there have been a few docs put out in the last few years, which i'm dying to see. "dithers" and that upper playground doc are two i've got on my list.

delonemonkey, i guess i'll have to out myself and admit i liked "the graffiti artist" pre-balloon knot bandit days. the whole opening scene worked well. it just followed him, no real dialogue, no real drama. just following him around doing what he does. then he gets down to burnside (skatepark) and sees that dude. that's when it started to get shady. i remember thinking, this can't be a gay dude. then he sees the dude in seattle, and i said it again --this can't be a gay dude. but it just got gayer and gayer by the minute. he went from tagging walls, to eating pizza, to tagging dirtstars in a half an hour. i don't care how homophobic i sound, and people can say whatever they want --that fucking movie was the biggest piece of false advertising i've ever seen. the back of the box makes it sound like some kind of existential self finding plot. but you start watching it, and it becomes a fucking gay high school kid's wet dream. that movie was more of a let down than bomb the system.

I liked The Graffiti Artist, the gay part was probably the most unneeded thing but the movie wasn't all that bad. My favorite line is when they get into the argument outside of the record shop and the dude with the curly hair says

"why don't you get a fucking job"

and the other dude responds

"naw, fuck that, I'm not gonna get taken advantage of."

i didn't watch the gay part. i went to the next chapter, and back peddled to where the gay part ends. so i don't exactly know how "gay" they got. maybe they just did each other's nails, i don't know. i thought the whole love story, broken heart bullshit was corny as hell though. if you took out the boy on boy love/drama in that movie, it could have worked. to me though, it was just written for old art fags to jerk off and cry too.

there was a french flick called "IP5." i always wonder if the dude who wrote "graffiti artist" was inspired by it. it's about a writer in france who writes IP5. he falls in love with this house call nurse, but she basically disses him for who he is. then the kid gets his blackbook taken by some skinheads, who hold it randsom while he runs drugs to a different town. anyways, the dude turns his back on the skinheads and his blackbook, and sets out to find this chick. by his side the whole movie, is a young kid who he's watching out for. if you liked "the graffiti artist" you'll probably like "IP5." i haven't seen it in years --probably came out in 92 or 93.

Bomb the System nearly made me cry with laughter "Bro, why haven't you been bombing with us!?" "I'm sorry man, I just met this fly hunnie!" fucking hell it was horrible. The only thing decent about it was the fact that...wait no, I couldn't find a good point. So bad its funny. The white guy, Blest, telling his girl that she couldn't come to the party cos "Its just a bunch of guys drinking forties and smoking blunts!" tee hee.

I cry when it rains....

i hear you SKAG about bomb the system. i love how they had cameos by people as well. i hope they made good money, putting themselves in there. Lee Quinones, i mean when he walked on and started talking to that dude --i'm sorry, but that shit felt like a bad student video project. it's sad, but you know some dumb kid is watching that movie, thinking it's the shit, and that's what a writer is all about. i hope he gets hit by a speeding truck trying to steal paint--because according to "bomb the system," if you don't rack your paint, you're nothing but a toy. i want to wipe shit on the writer/director's tongue.

"Bomb The Sytem" wasnt about a gay writer, that's "The Graffiti Artist".

i havent seen "The Graffiti Artist", and i dont really plan on it now.

but i didnt think "Bomb The System" was that bad. sure it was corny, but i like how they utilized GANO's ability to write and act. if you know, you know. i also liked EL-P on the soundtrack/score.

that's gotta count for something. i thought it was decent.

"IP5" sounds kinda nice, i'll have to look for that.

there's an old movie called "Le Haine" which in french means "hate", it's subtitled, produced by Jody Foster, and it involves three characters (one of which is a writer) during the riots in France. it's in black & white, look for it. it might be titled "Hate"

there's also a movie called "Downtown 81" which stars Basquiat. it's an old artsy underground NY film that got shelved, and then recently released. i saw it on IFC. if your into Basqiuat or SAMO you'll dig it.

the movie "Basquiat" was actually pretty dope itself, if your into the crossover bit, a graff writer into a successful painter, it's dope.

"Infamy" was good, i liked the editing, but "Piece By Piece" is the one to have, for sure.

HATE is a fucking awesome movie. i've got a french subway poster for that, it's insane. the poster is huge, and it just has vincent cassel's eyes, then photos of riot cops below. he did another movie either right before, or right after that. "Cafe Au Laite" (spell?) it's about a pregnant chick, who doesn't know who the father is. it's either a white bike messanger, or a black business guy. the two kind of duke it out to be the respectable man. it wasn't bad. the dude who did HATE is mathieau kassovitz (spell?). he's doing more acting now, but he also directed "Crimson rivers" which i heard sucked.

man, i'm a fucking film geek.

as of bomb the system --which one was GANO. it wasn't the dude who played BLEST, was it?

Uhh...Bomb the System was okay...I just liked the start where they got Chuck D rappin and everyone is gettin down at the Basketball court...I thought Hazer was funny as hell (Hola Hazer!)

The fighting part was the best part of the movie...and that was only like one minute long >.<