Hot Wheels Appreciation Thread!

mister pibb

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I collected g.i. joes for a little while after the "normal" age-time.

I was at the express DMV at the mall a little while ago, and while I was waiting, I wandered over to one of those nerd stores that sells old action figures and baseball cards and shit. They had the old GI Joe pontoon boat with the dude in it for like, twenty bucks, and I seriously almost bought it just because of how bad I wanted that thing twenty years ago.

I collected Hot Wheels for about six years... in the early to mid nineties. I remember when the they released that First Addition VW Bus... holy crap! Every collector was scrambling to get their hands on it. Which meant every dealer was selling them for close to $300 each. It was rediculous. I waas lucky enough to find one at the drug store about a month after they released it. I had close to one thousand cars... mostly hard to finds and limiteds. I didn't much care for the regular cars unless they were really detailed and smart looking. As a hobby it just became way too expensive and time consuming to keep up with, especially with the rate of speed new limiteds were coming out. I ended up selling my whole collection for a fraction of what I had paid. I tried to four years to at least get what I paid for each car but there were no takers. I finally had to do the "best offer" deal and someone came through with a bid and by that time my spirit was shredded so I took the bid. I can't even look at Hot Wheels without thinking how screwed the end was. With the cost of the cars and the hype surrounding a lot of the cars I had, I thought for sure I would at least break even. Oh well, lesson learned.

Have fun hunting...

I collected Hot Wheels for about six years... in the early to mid nineties. I remember when the they released that First Addition VW Bus... holy crap! Every collector was scrambling to get their hands on it. Which meant every dealer was selling them for close to $300 each. It was rediculous. I waas lucky enough to find one at the drug store about a month after they released it. I had close to one thousand cars... mostly hard to finds and limiteds. I didn't much care for the regular cars unless they were really detailed and smart looking. As a hobby it just became way too expensive and time consuming to keep up with, especially with the rate of speed new limiteds were coming out. I ended up selling my whole collection for a fraction of what I had paid. I tried to four years to at least get what I paid for each car but there were no takers. I finally had to do the "best offer" deal and someone came through with a bid and by that time my spirit was shredded so I took the bid. I can't even look at Hot Wheels without thinking how screwed the end was. With the cost of the cars and the hype surrounding a lot of the cars I had, I thought for sure I would at least break even. Oh well, lesson learned.

Have fun hunting...

Well, I don't plan on retiring off of my hot wheels and I don't drive myself crazy. I just spend a lot more time in the stores and at yard sales, usually buying other folks' abandoned collections. I remember getting that vw bus. I didn't even know what it was at the time and after I found out I never saw another one and I had already opened mine. oh well.

• 5 months later...