i looove pandas!

rental

i was doing research in the library today, and found a panda article in national geographic. chinese zoos are having more and more luck breeding pandas, and are breeding more pandas in captivity than ever before. look at this shit!!! they had 6 single babies and 5 sets of twins.

panda160906_700x514.jpg

Pandamonium!

by CAROLINE GRAHAM, The Mail on Sunday

Last updated at 21:29pm on 16th September 2006

They are pictures that will tug the heartstrings of every animal lover - 16 baby giant pandas being nursed at their own unique kindergarten.

And they are just part of a miraculous success story for scientists in China, who are using modern technology to save one of the world's rarest and most endangered species from extinction.

This year the artificial insemination programme at Wolong Research Centre has produced a record 25 giant panda births - including a set of twins born last Monday - and a further 20 babies are expected before Christmas.

The twins weighed just 5.5oz each and the as-yet-unnamed cubs were the first for their eight-year-old mother Youyou.

Wolong's director Zhang Zhihe says modern techniques and advances in technology mean the future of the species - there are fewer than 1,500 giant pandas left in the wild and just 180 in captivity - is now looking rosy.

"We've pretty much resolved the problems of infertility among pandas," he said.

"Hopefully, we will protect these magnificent creatures for future generations to enjoy. Left to their own devices, the extinction of the panda was inevitable. Our job, and we are being very successful, is to extend the time that pandas will be in the world."

Paws everywhere

Wolong, an 800-square-mile reserve in Sichuan Province, 1,000 miles south-west of Beijing, was set up in 1980 but it is only in the past two years that artificial insemination techniques have been perfected - leading to the current baby boom.

At the centre, a team of two dozen "panda nurses" is on hand to cater to the growing brood. The cubs are weighed and measured every five days. The heaviest tips the scales at just over 24lb. Between 12 months and 18 months a panda cub will gain nearly 100lb.

Fully grown, a panda can weigh between 250lb and 300lb, bulking up on a diet of bamboo shoots.

The babies are due to stop being suckled by their mothers in February, around the time they will learn to walk. Last year's crop of 16 are now in "panda kindergarten" - a large room full of toys and games designed to "stimulate the mental and physical growth" of the cubs.

One nurse said: "The babies are adorable but they can be quite a handful. We have toddlers from last year combined with the babies born this year. When you get them all in a room together you just see paws everywhere. It's hard not to step on them.

"But they are remarkably comfortable with each other. It used to be thought that they were solitary creatures but our babies thrive on having the comfort of other baby pandas around them.

"There is nothing like the sight of a baby panda in the morning to put a smile on your face.

see more here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=405486&in_page_id=1770

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

san diego zoo

panda_003.jpg

*Veterinarians give the San Diego Zoo’s 8-week-old female giant panda cub her first vaccination, Wednesday, Aug. 28. The cub weighs 6.4 pounds, a gain of one pound in a week, and measures 1.5 feet from the tip of her nose to the end of her tail.

pandas are so fantastic. every picture is hilarious and so awesome.

I was in Berlin earlier this year where they have two live pandas in the Berlin Zoo. Pandas are extremely rare in Europe, I think Berlin Zoo are the only zoo to have them. They were a gift from the Chinese goverment.

The two pandas in Berlin were completely awesome and I spent a few hours at the enclosure, watching them play, eat, sleep, stare back at their audience...

Pandas rock!

Yes I have a panda fetisch...

"My apartment is infested with koala bears. It's the cutest infestation ever. Way better than cockroaches. When I turn on the light a bunch of koala bears scatter. And I don't want them to, you know, I'm like, "Hey, hold on fellas, lemme hold one of yous... and feed you a leaf."

-Mitch Hedberg

Alright, so it's not pandas.. but this thread made me think of it.

Anyone got this video of a baby panda sneezing that I've been hearing so much about?

Wow. That was funny. Did you see how surprised the big panda was?

"wow that the cutest thing ive ever seen...."

"yeh your going to have to fire ten percent of your staff"

(30 rock? anyone?)