classic....

transparent

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?name=shows&id=1552917

krs one, rakim, kanye, and nas....this is one of the best videos i've seen in the past 6 or 7 years maybe longer....plus it has graff n dance (hold the dance) in it....i know most of you losers aren't hip hop fans and who can blame you these days but i feel like this one is a step back in the right direction....if theres already a thread on this then close it dont whine..........................................................................................................................................................

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
i dont know who made this video clip....but this is definatley one of my most favorite hip hop songs of all time....ever since i first heard it back in like 98....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SPjPGeYlMU

*edit* the last emperor is also one of my all time favorite emcees.

i agree, last emperor was one of my favorites along with jzone and the metro card millionaires.....that was a good time.

oh no please don't make backpackers "hip" again (97-2000).

I never understood that whole "backpackers" thing.

I was a backpacker, in that I went to high school and had to carry my textbooks.

And, sure, I used a backpack to carry paint at night and on the weekends, but what is a backpacker if he/she isn't going to school and/or doing graffiti? Prepared for anything?

I never understood that whole "backpackers" thing.

I was a backpacker, in that I went to high school and had to carry my textbooks.

And, sure, I used a backpack to carry paint at night and on the weekends, but what is a backpacker if he/she isn't going to school and/or doing graffiti? Prepared for anything?

a backpacker is a person that only listens to "underground" hip hop. or at least what they define as underground hiphop. they also put an emphasis on following all of the "4 elements." it became big in about '97 as a rebellion against both "shiny suit" rap of puffy & mase and the like, that only talked about jewelry and cars; and also against gangsta rap. they determined neither of these was "true" hiphop, felt that the culture was being corrupted, and began to seek to "purify" hiphop to how it was "meant to be," usually citing examples of grandmaster flash, melle mel, sugar hill, etc. ironically, none of these "pure" underground groups sounded anything like early hiphop of the 80's. backpack rap was merely just another style of rap, just like gangsta rap, crunk, hyphy, etc.

they'll listen to aesop rock or living legends or the hieroglyphics. any groups that have pseudo-science in their rhymes talking about microbes and gamma rays and computer chips. these also can't be songs you can bump in the club and twostep with a girl to. it has to be a boring history lesson or philosophy discussion over a beat with scratching in the background. they also tend to wear those beanie-hats. those hats that look like a beanie but with a bill/brim on the front. it's a plus if you wear it with dreads because you look even more "for the cause." they also wear those green fidel castro hats. the pants usually have cargo pockets on them. the shirt has to have a small logo in the middle.

the backpack thing -- i guess it's because they're always riding the train or bus with a backpack full of cd's, speakers, graffiti markers, with their cd player in the bag with their headphones on. probably some notepads to write their rhymes in. it most likely started with graff writers, but because these hiphop "purists" have to follow all 4 elements, it makes sense they'd have a backpack to fulfill their "graff element" in life.

i remember the backpack phase being real big in 97, 98, and 99... i remember everyone was on Rawkus' Records jock at the time.