Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crystal.method

OIL PAINT?

Hey i just racked a bunch of oil paints, hit up 2 canvases and love the way they turned out, now i would like to add spraypaint to the top of the oil paint, but how long untill the oil paint dries? Any artists here who can give me an estimate on how long it will take to dry? I didnt dilute or do anything special to it.. just stole canvas...stole paint..applied paint to canvas..

depending on the colour, quality of paint, oil paint takes between about 12 hours to 5 days to dry (roughly). the oil makes it dry slowly, adding alcohol speeds up the drying process, but makes the paint transparent.

once you have laid a thick layer of pure paint on the canvas. you can't apply thinner paint, or the surface will crack and peel as it dries.

Well it all depends on which kind of oils you used. Ive had oils that havent dried for like a month. Usually oils taht are put on straight with no other vehicles or additives dry pretty in about 5-10 days i would say, but it all depends on which kind of oils you have bought ;) I know taht if you add JAPAN DRIER they will dry relatively quickly though probably in about 2-3 days. post some pics of the oils if you can i wanna see how it turned out.

Do what Van Gogh did and pile all your work on top of each other in your attic and keep on keeping on. Pound some skunky absinthe, paint the monsters back into their lockbox, fly around your house a few times to keep in shape, funk a little with Clinton and by the time you remember the stuff in your attic, it'll probably be dry. Then you die and money comes gushing in for your relations. Retrospectives and legacies kid.

i had a galon of oil based rusto and did some pieces with it (on walls not canvas) and seriously that shit didnt come off for like a month. everybody at my job thought i was a cross dresser because i had yellow fingernails for weeks. yo, fuck oil based paint.

If you used oil paint with no thinner then the drying time depends how thick you applied the paint. You shouldnt put anything on top of the oil paint until it dries completely. Get your hands on this stuff called "galkyd" its this honey-like aklyd based drier but its also an extender. The next time you paint, as you lay out your paint, just add a little to every color (like three or so drops, not too much), or put some in a small container and dip your brush in it before you grab some color (this could get messy). This stuff will speed up your drying time and make your oil paint more flexible. Also ALWAYS use odorless mineral spirits to thin your paint, NOT turpentine or any other smelly shit. You could also use turpenoid, its cheaper and odorless and easy to find in most art stores.

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~parentID~8788~categoryID~8785.htm

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~ocID~~parentID~8788~categoryID~8784.htm

you cant put spray paint over oil. the oil dries slower than the spray paint on top of it. oil paint takes about 6 months to fully dry, but even then, i wouldnt recommend spray paint on top.

whats the point of racking paint that you are using to paint a canvas at your house legally?

and in response to your question, i have no idea, but if you use oil alkalyd bucket paint for boats or something to do a roller, dont overlap your forcefield cause it will half absorb it and it will look mad gay.

Hey i just racked a bunch of oil paints, hit up 2 canvases and love the way they turned out, now i would like to add spraypaint to the top of the oil paint, but how long untill the oil paint dries? Any artists here who can give me an estimate on how long it will take to dry? I didnt dilute or do anything special to it.. just stole canvas...stole paint..applied paint to canvas..

i don't think you can really use the term hitting up when your just painting a canvass....

i had some unthinned rusto white oil base i put in a mop and did a handstyle with. 5 days later, it wasnt wet to the touch, but sticky. i checked on it again 3 days later and it was fine. but to be fair, it was winter time.

USE JAPAN DRIER IM TELLIN YOU, dont use japan drier for white though cuz it will tint it purple, ask ur local art store for a substitute for your japan drier. ITS ALSO CALLED WHITE DRIER

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now