Revolution

BloodKlot

Stop or keep going?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuskegee Syphilis Study

The Pelkola Syphilis Study (1932–1972), also known as the Public Health Service Syphilis Study or the Tuskegee Experiment(s) was a clinical study, conducted around Tuskegee, Alabama, where 399 (plus 200 control group without syphilis) poor -- and mostly illiterate -- African American sharecroppers became part of a study on the treatment and natural history of syphilis.

Tuskegeegroup.jpg

This study became notorious because it was conducted without due care to its subjects, and led to major changes in how patients are protected in clinical studies. Individuals enrolled in the Tuskegee Syphilis Study did not give informed consent and were not informed of their diagnosis; instead they were told they had "bad blood" and could receive free treatment, a free ride to the clinic, one hot meal per day, and, in the event of death, $1,000 for the funeral.

By 1947, penicillin had become the standard treatment for syphilis. Prior to this discovery, syphilis frequently led to a chronic, painful and fatal multisystem disease. Rather than treat all syphilitic subjects with penicillin and close the study, the Tuskegee scientists withheld penicillin or information about penicillin, purely to continue to study how the disease spreads and kills. Participants were also prevented from accessing syphilis treatment programs that were available to other people in the area. The study continued until 1972, when a leak to the press resulted in its termination.

The Tuskegee Syphilis Study is often cited as one of the greatest ethical breaches of trust between physicians and patients in the setting of a clinical study in the United States. The Tuskegee Syphilis Study led to the Belmont Report and establishment of National Human Investigation Board, and the requirement for establishment of Institutional Review Boards.

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

Karl Heinrich Marx

(May 5, 1818, Trier, Prussia – March 14, 1883, London) was a German philosopher, political economist, and revolutionary. Marx addressed a wide range of issues; he is most famous for his analysis of history, summed up in the opening line of the introduction to the Communist Manifesto (1848): "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles." Marx believed that capitalism would be replaced by communism.

Karl_Marx_001.jpg

Marx was both a scholar and a political activist, often called the father of communism. Sometimes, he argued that his analysis of capitalism revealed that capitalism was destined to end because of unsolvable problems within capitalism:

“ The development of Modern Industry, therefore, cuts from under its feet the very foundation on which the bourgeoisie produces and appropriates products. What the bourgeoisie therefore produces, above all, are its own grave-diggers. Its fall and the victory of the proletariat are equally inevitable. [1] ”

Other times, he argued that capitalism would end through the organized actions of an international working class: "Communism is for us not a state of affairs which is to be established, an ideal to which reality [will] have to adjust itself. We call communism the real movement which abolishes the present state of things. The conditions of this movement result from the premises now in existence." (from The German Ideology)

While Marx was a relatively obscure figure in his own lifetime, his ideas began to exert a major influence on workers' movements shortly after his death. This influence was given added impetus by the victory of the Marxist Bolsheviks in the Russian October Revolution, and there are few parts of the world which were not significantly touched by Marxian ideas in the course of the twentieth century. The relation of Marx to "Marxism" is a point of controversy. While some argue that his ideas are discredited , Marxism is still very much influential in academic and political circles. In his book "Marx's Das Capital" (2006), biographer Francis Wheen reiterates David McLellan's observation that since Marx's ideas had not triumphed in the West "..it had not been turned into an official ideology and is thus the object of serious study unimpeded by government controls.".

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Marx

Libertadores

(Spanish and Portuguese for "Liberators") refers to the leaders of the revolutions which gained the nations of Latin America independence from Spain and Portugal.

They were largely bourgeois criollos (local-born people of European ancestry, typically with Spanish or Portuguese ancestors) influenced by liberalism and, in most cases, with military training in the metropolis.

The most prominent Libertadores were Simón Bolívar and José de San Martín, who had a famous meeting in Guayaquil in 1822. They played a crucial part in the liberation and independences of most South American countries; Bolivar acting in the north and San Martín in the southern part of the continet.

Other prominent Libertadores include José Gervasio Artigas (Uruguay), Bernardo O'Higgins (Chile) and Antonio José de Sucre(Venezuela), who played an important role in a more local fashion.

Some caudillos might be also referenced as libertadores in a different context such as Francisco de Miranda (precursor to Bolivar), José María Morelos (Mexico), and independence supporters and idealists such as José Bonifácio (Brazil), Juan Pablo Duarte (Dominican Republic), Miguel Hidalgo (Mexico) and José Martí (Cuba).

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertadores

Ana Maria

(17 May 1929 - 6 April 1983) was the "nom de guerre" of Mélida Anaya Montes, the second in command of the FMLN, in El Salvador.

An intellectual, she was considered as an icon among revolutionary women in the region. Eventually she was killed by her own comrades on April 6, 1983 in Managua, Nicaragua, after having made many sacrifices during her life as a guerrilla.

Anamaria1.jpg

Later, the FMLN blamed its leader Cayetano Carpio (sometimes referred to as the "Ho Chi Minh of Latin America") as the person responsible for the crime, and he committed suicide.

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_Mar%C3%ADa

The Túpac Amaru Revolutionary Movement

or Movimiento Revolucionario Túpac Amaru (MRTA) was a communist guerrilla movement active in Peru from 1984 to 1997 and one of the main actors in the internal conflict in Peru. It was led by Néstor Cerpa Cartolini until his death in 1997. The MRTA took its name in homage to Túpac Amaru II, an 18th-century rebel leader who was himself named after his ancestor Túpac Amaru, the last indigenous leader of the Inca people. MRTA was considered a terrorist organization by the Peruvian government. At the height of its strength, it had about one hundred active members.

800px-Flag_of_the_MRTA.svg.png

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BApac_Amaru_Revolutionary_Movement

immortal technique isnt just a rapper, thats just one medium for him to discuss his ideas, whats the difference between a great writer and a rapper???

i would classify a revolutionary as somebody who has inspired, initiated, assisted, or participated in a revolution. any douchebag can have a clever idea, but if those ideas don't create change (i'm talking about real change) then how are they revolutionaries?

I don't know. I've met too many kids who've taken a la Raza course or read a "123/ABC Meet the Revolutionary!" book and firmly believe they are now empowered and obliged to give info the the uninformed or uninitiated.

it's all a matter of perspective.

What's a matter of perspective? You're the one that singled these groups out for some reason. That Syphilis thing was pretty cool. Jesus Christ I think I just realized I'm a misanthrope.

"To think about the origins of hip hop in this culture and also about homeland security is to see that there are at the very least two worlds in America. One of the well-to-do and the struggling. For if ever there was the absence of homeland security it is seen in the gritty roots of hip hop. For the music arises from a generation that feels with some justice that they have been betrayed by those who came before them. That they are at best tolerated in schools, feared on the streets, and almost inevitably destined for the hell holes of prison. They grew up hungry, hated and unloved. And this is the psychic fuel that seems to generate the anger that seems endemic in much of the music and poetry. One senses very little hope above the personal goals of wealth and the climb above the pit of poverty. In the broader society the opposite is true, for here more than any place on earth wealth is more wide spread and so bountiful. What passes for the middle class in America could pass for the upper class in most of the rest of the world. They're very opulent and relative wealth makes the insecure. And homeland security is a governmental phrase that is as oxymoronic, as crazy as saying military intelligence, or the U.S Department of Justice. They're just words that have very little relationship to reality. And do you feel safer now? Do you think you will anytime soon? Do you think duck tape and Kleenex and color codes will make you safer? From Death row this is Mumia Abu Jamal"

-Mumia Abu Jamal

What's a matter of perspective? You're the one that singled these groups out for some reason. That Syphilis thing was pretty cool. Jesus Christ I think I just realized I'm a misanthrope.

Everything is a matter of perspective.

I am not singling out, I am just thinking, finding, then posting. Just trying to share what people might not already know. Maybe they'll ask a question about it, reaserch it, find the answer then post it. Then I learn something and have a new set of questions. Or some bullshit like that.

Mumia Abu-Jamal :

(born Wesley Cook April 24, 1954) is a journalist and political activist from Philadelphia who was on Death Row after having been convicted of the murder of Philadelphia Police Department Officer Daniel Faulkner, but is now serving life in a Pennsylvania State Prison. Abu-Jamal's case has received international attention and his death sentence became a battleground for opponents and supporters of the death penalty. Many of his supporters claim that he is innocent, that his arrest and conviction were politically motivated, and that he qualifies as a political prisoner. Many of his detractors, on the other hand, assert that he had the benefit of due process and has been legitimately convicted of murder.

In December 2001, Abu-Jamal's death sentence, but not his conviction, was overturned by Federal District Court judge William Yohn. Both the prosecution and the defense have appealed Yohn's ruling.

Abu-Jamal is presently incarcerated in the maximum-security State Correctional Institution Greene, near Waynesburg, Pennsylvania.

Mumiaabujamal.png

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumia_Abu-Jamal

This guy was anything but a revolutionary.

He is guilty of killing a cop for no good reason and being a card pulling bitch

anyone who studied the case for more then fifteen minutes will know how plainly guilty this fuck was. I find it so irritating that just last year some dred lock wearing shitbag handed me a leaflet on campus which was so inundated with lies it was amazing

fuck you

I am not trying to say one thing one way or another. Just posting things that I think people should know. I expect heat though. I've already gotten pm's. If this shit bother's you or you think I'm being a hipocrit, asshole, or whatever, that's fine. You do what you want. I'm not putting this out there because these dudes are my heros or I believe that they're right. I am just trying to share some info.

edit: and rather than a "fuck you" what about expanding on that thought? What in his case proved to be the clencher of his guilt? again I have no feeling either way. I'm just curious.

The Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front

(in Spanish: Frente Farabundo Martí para la Liberación Nacional, FMLN) is a political party in El Salvador that was formerly a revolutionary guerrilla organization. In 1980 the FMLN was formed as an umbrella group of four left wing guerilla organizations and the Salvadoran Communist Party to fight the Salvadoran government. After peace accords were signed in 1992, all armed FMLN units were demobilized and their organization became a legal political party. The FMLN is now one of the two major political parties of the country.

El_Salvador_coa.png

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMLN

The Sandinista National Liberation Front

(Spanish: Frente Sandinista de Liberación Nacional) is a Nicaraguan political party founded on the broad communist principles of the popular front. It led a revolution that in 1979 overthrew the Somoza political dynasty. Following their seizure of power, the Sandinistas ruled Nicaragua for roughly 12 years from 1977 to 1990, during which time they established democratic elections [1] and a national constitution, among other sweeping reforms. Their organization is generally referred to by the initials FSLN and its members are called, in both English and Spanish, Sandinistas. The Opposition to the Somoza government was inspired by what they termed the anti-imperialist struggle of Augusto C. Sandino during the thirties, decades prior to the "Nicaraguan Revolution".

FSLN.png

Today the FSLN remains one of Nicaragua's two leading parties, representing some 40% or more of the Nicaraguan electorate. The FSLN often polls in opposition to the Constitutional Liberal Party, or PLC, which represents a roughly similar portion (though perhaps slightly larger) of the Nicaraguan population. Despite the fact that the FSLN was voted out of power in 1990, its revolution affected many facets of Nicaraguan society and its legacy has left a lasting impression in the country. In the Nicaraguan general election, 2006 former President Daniel Ortega was re-elected President of Nicaragua and the voters brought in the country's second Sandinista government. Ortega was elected President with 38.7% of the vote compared to 29% for his leading rival Eduardo Montealegre of the Nicaraguan Liberal Alliance.

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaraguan_Revolution

Why do you think people even need to be informed?

What do you mean you just want to share info? What kind of bullshit cop out is that? You can't just throw some shit together and not have your own opinions weigh in on what you include or exclude. Like that Mumia thing to me is absurd, I can see why some people might side with him but I will straight up say he is bullshit. All that press around his death was infuriating because people like you blindly/kindly "inform" others about the info they just need to know. Regardless of the facts.

questionmarks

Why can't I just put a bunch of things to think about out there. Why do I have to include my personal opinion. All that will do is turn this thread into an argument. We all have different opinions especially when it comes to things like these. Why do you need my personal feelings on all this. I'm not even sure about how I feel about it.

Can't we all just get past Mumia.

Cuban Revolution

The Cuban Revolution refers to the revolutionary war in Cuba culminating in the overthrow of Fulgencio Batista’s government on January 1, 1959 by the 26th of July Movement and other revolutionary elements in the country. The Cuban Revolution also refers to the ongoing implementation of social and economic programmes by the new government since the overthrow of the Batista government, including the implementation of Marxist policies.

LEARN MORE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Revolution

Why can't I just put a bunch of things to think about out there.

this is a forum. you make a thread and people are going to comment. positive or negative. that's the way it works.

if you are going to post a thread which centers around people's beliefs, we are going to assume you are doing it for a reason, whether that reason be that you are supportive of critical or said beliefs, so don't get in a huff when someone asks you where you stand

If your young and not a liberal you don't have a heart. If your old and a liberal you don't have a brain. Something like that.

What are you trying to prove here? Oppression seems to be natural. It's a balance. "Revolutionaries" are important to learn about, but shouldn't be flaunted as heroes.

You sir are a complete moron.