UFC & MMA thread

Blaise Pascal

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I usually don't pay attention to Yahoo sports due to some lame reporting I've seen from them before on the UFC but this caught my eye.......

LAS VEGAS – So Brock Lesnar, in the parlance of pro wrestling, had gone straight heel.

After bludgeoning Frank Mir to retain the Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight championship at the hyped UFC 100, the former pro wrestling star decided to put on a real show.

Lesnar ran around the octagon flipping off the Mandalay Bay Events Center crowd with both middle fingers. He shouted at Mir as the challenger sat on a stool trying to regain his equilibrium. Mir stood up and they went sort of nose-to-broken nose before Lesnar cackled with laughter.

In the post-fight interview, Lesnar encouraged the booing fans to “keep going” before continuing to taunt Mir.

No one and nothing was spared. Lesnar even turned his attention to the UFC itself, which paid him an estimated $3 million for the fight, pointing at the giant Bud Light advertisement in the middle of the octagon.

“I’m drinking a cooler full of Coors Light, Coors Light because Bud Light won’t pay me anything.”

Anything for the children at home, big guy?

“Hell, I might even get on top of my wife tonight.”

With his clown-show antics, Brock Lesnar just became the greatest villain in modern fighting. From refusing to tap gloves prefight in a sportsmanlike ritual to this over-the-top rant that came right out of the silly wrestling circus.

“Straight WWE,” said a stunned Dana White, the president of the UFC. “Brock went so far over the top tonight I can’t even describe it. I don’t think in the history of the UFC we’ve ever done anything like that.”

Postfight, White pushed his way into Lesnar’s crowded locker room and took the big guy into the bathroom for a private “discussion.” Lesnar himself described it as “a whip-the-dog session.”

“With women in here you don’t want to know what I said,” White said. It worked, Brock showed up at the press conference smiling, supposedly contrite and even drinking a Bud Light.

“First and foremost I want to apologize,” Lesnar said. “I acted very unprofessionally after the fight. I screwed up and I apologize. I apologize to Bud Light. I’m not biased, I drink any beer.”

It was mostly a chance for laugh lines, but it was still an apology. Lesnar said the pent-up energy of avenging a loss to Mir caused him to go crazy. “I’m a sore loser,” he said. “I don’t like to get beat. I believe I gave that fight to him. So there was a lot of emotion in this fight for me.

“Man, I was so jacked up. I’m used to selling pay-per-view tickets. I come from a business that is purely the entertainment business.”

And so that was the excuse. Lesnar didn’t flip, he just flipped the switch back into Vince McMahon’s operation where nothing is too over the top. The UFC, however, is real and it has tried to position itself not as a blood sport but one based on sportsmanship and mutual respect.

Lesnar did the UFC no favors in that regard. And neither did veteran Dan Henderson, who dropped a vicious forearm smash on an already knocked out and prone Michael Bisping on the undercard. Henderson then admitted he did it on purpose to avenge prefight trash talk. The UFC even went on to award him its $100,000 “knockout of the night” bonus. White also gave Henderson a talking to, but Henderson still said it “felt good.”

The damage done to the UFC’s mainstream momentum remains to be seen. While some will be repulsed, others will be drawn in. It’s cage fighting, after all. Things get out of hand.

That this occurred on the promotion’s biggest night, when the numerical significance of the card was expected to bring in a large first-time audience, wasn’t appreciated by the UFC. The night was electric and highly entertaining. And while it is likely to most offend people who weren’t disposed to giving mixed martial arts a chance in the first place, White was aghast at Lesnar’s act. This isn’t what he built. This isn’t what he wanted.

“What he’s doing out there tonight is not real,” White said. “You don’t have to act like something you’re not. This isn’t the WWE. I don’t ask these guys to act crazy so we get more pay per views. That’s not the business I’m in.”

In the meantime, the cementing of Lesnar’s reputation as the promotion’s most hated man is done.

“Brock hasn’t made himself very loveable,” White said. “They hate Brock.” For the UFC, a classic villain is business gold. He’s the ultimate leading man for the organization. Some loathe him. Some love him. No one can ignore him. For those seeking his comeuppance however, there isn’t a WWE storyline that can be written to stop him.

Lost in the antics was Lesnar’s performance, a brilliant effort that showed both his growth as a mixed martial artist and the immense potential. The question becomes, who the heck can tame this mountain of a man from the Minnesota woods?

Shane Carwin? Cain Velasquez? Mir in a final chapter of a trilogy of fights? No doubt they’ll get a chance, and no doubt they stand a chance.

The greatest beneficiary of each Lesnar snarl, however, lives in Stary Oskol, Russia, a man named Fedor Emelianenko who is considered the No. 1 heavyweight (if not pound-for-pound fighter) in the world. If anyone has the knockout power to stop the 6-3, 265-pound Lesnar, it’s Emelianenko.

Fedor doesn’t fight in the UFC though. He’s with its rival promotion, Affliction. He’ll fight Aug. 1 in Anaheim, Calif., in what is the last match of his contract. Affliction is hoping to re-sign him until 2012, but the UFC will come hard after him. More now then ever. And that means money, big money.

“Eventually Fedor is going to be here,” White said. “I want Fedor. We’ll end up getting that deal done and then we’ll do Brock vs. Fedor and we’ll do a huge fight.”

Time will tell, but the pressure to sign the elusive Russian has been ratcheted up. A villain was born and there isn’t an obvious superhero in sight. The UFC brought Brock Lesnar over from the WWE for just this kind of a sensation. And the big man has delivered – the good, the bad and the embarrassing.

Only Dana White has no scriptwriters that can contain him.

Not a bad card but what match blooded up the mat is what i wanna know

i read mac danzig was the bleeder of the night. i thought i read stephan bonnar was cut too but only danzig shows up on the injury report.

MMANEWS.COM

Bookmark Us Contact Us

Frank Mir: Suspended until Sept. 10 and no contact until Aug. 26

Georges St. Pierre: Must have right groin injury cleared by orthopedic doctor or no contest until Jan. 8, 2010. Suspended until at least Aug. 11 and no contact until Aug. 2

Thiago Alves: Suspended until Aug. 11 and no contact until Aug. 2

Michael Bisping: Suspended until Sept. 10 and no contact until Aug. 26

Yoshihiro Akiyama: Suspended until Sept. 10 and no contact until Aug. 26 because of a left orbital fracture. He must must the injury with an ophthalmologist or no contest until Jan. 8, 2010

Stephan Bonnar: Suspended until Aug. 11 and no contact until Aug. 2

Mac Danzig: Suspended until Sept. 10 with a laceration and no contact until Aug. 26

Jim Miller: Must have right shoulder/clavicle x-rayed and cleared by a doctor or no contest until Jan. 8, 2010

Jake O’Brien: Suspended until Aug. 11 and no contact until Aug. 2

TJ Grant: Suspended until Aug. 2 and no contact until July 26

CB Dollaway: Suspended until Aug. 11 and no contact until Aug. 2

Matt Grice: Suspended until Sept. 10 and no contact until Aug. 26

Shannon Gugerty: Must clear low back pain with a doctor or no contest until Jan. 8, 2010

^ cheers IOU

fedor - lesnar!!!!!!

i used to watch Pride alot about five years ago. i became an Igor Vovchanchyn fan.

almost everyday there was a show with jay glazer and frank trigg or bas rutten(sp?) and i would tivo that shit. during this time i wasnt watching UFC.

just from about 2 years of watching pride and the occasional bushido, its amazing how much more i understand about this sport than most of the fucks are at whatever house we are watching the UFC PPVs.

Brock Lesnar is used to acting showmanship, something he admitted regarding his behavior postfight. Compare that to Sanchez/Guida, who came into the ring barking at each other like dogs but were still classy about shit before and after. Even dudes who hate each other and don't touch gloves tend to get it out & leave it in the ring, and are classy after the fight. That's how things used to be even in the street, you fought, got your ass beat, and things were cool after. I think it was Clemente(?) who beat Guillard and kind of stuck it to him when he won, but I think even he pulled it together. It's a real fight, not a wrestling man drama. Plus Lesnar is kind of dumb from a business standpoint, he dogs the sponsors of the fight by saying he'll have a coors and they won't pay him. Maybe that's villain behavior, but it's also stupid, you don't bite the hand that feeds.

Well yea at least that's how it was in my old neighborhood growin up.

You had beef, you hopefully fucked the opposition up, and got on with life.

In fact I made several friends after hurting them badly and vice versa, it was a respect deal.

Kids nowadays are a bunch of nancys worried about gettin their skirts dirty.

Well yea at least that's how it was in my old neighborhood growin up.

You had beef, you hopefully fucked the opposition up, and got on with life.

In fact I made several friends after hurting them badly and vice versa, it was a respect deal.

Kids nowadays are a bunch of nancys worried about gettin their skirts dirty.

co-signed.

ive gotten my ass beat on a fair fight and made a friend out of it, no homo shit, but its one of the best feelings in the world.. you get to fight/vent out your anger, win or lose everything is all good.

by the way, everyone was knocking this after the GSP/alves fight..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone have a link to UFC 100? I've heard a lot about Lesnar having a WWE flashback after the fight and that some critics are saying set back MMA as a whole.

Apparently Announcer guy Bruce Buffer did a buffer 360 before the fights on UFC 100. Spike didnt air it, so check it out

lesnar drinks coors light!

Hendo made the brit eat his own words!

GSP hit the pitball with his groin!!

Highlights of the ufc 100, overall the event would of failed if hendo didn't come out with that brutal KO of the count!!!shit was priceless.

Hendo's knockout was fuckin awesome but Lesnar beating in Mirs face was good also. Mir's face looked like it went through a meat grinder :lol: