UFC & MMA thread

Blaise Pascal

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

From what ive heard fedor doesnt want to join ufc because as he put it, they dont treat the fighters like humans.

there was an article that addressed the main points, being:

1. There is no outside competition alowed. i.e. Fedor would not be able to partake in sambo fights for russia, he said that he doesnt get paid for those sambo fights, he does it for pride of country.

2. Any merchandising, any sponsorship, any endorsment deals would go directly to the ufc and the fighters cannot get any of it.

3. IF fedor keeps his undefeated streak he will not be released from his contract until he is no longer undefeated. (seriously)

4. if fedor loses his undefeated streak, he will be fired whenever dana white wants to fire

him.

those were the main points, he also said that the contract was 19 pages long and referenced randy coutours fight with ufc when he tried to leave the company when he was champion and the company wouldnt allow him to fight in any other promotion.

It's pretty stupid that Dana White won't make a few concessions for Fedor considering how good he could be for the UFC. A Lesnar vs. Fedor fight could easily eclipse UFC 100 in terms of total viewers/PPV sales. I also read UFC has something cooking with ESPN, as in some future fights might actually be broadcast for free. A lot will be cleared up on Friday.

Fedor signed with the UFC today!!!

The press conference will be Wednesday and the UFC will announce the next fight on Friday.

Tito and Couture also signed contracts with the UFC.

Rumor has it Fedor will get a title shot against Lesner as his first fight and then Couture will fight Fedor.

Fedor signed with the UFC today!!!

The press conference will be Wednesday and the UFC will announce the next fight on Friday.

Tito and Couture also signed contracts with the UFC.

Rumor has it Fedor will get a title shot against Lesner as his first fight and then Couture will fight Fedor.

Bout time he signed with them. Hes one of the few remaining fighters that I wanted to see in the ufc. How do you think he'll do in a cage? Fit in or Cro-Cop out?

he hasnt signed with the ufc. His promotion company M1 global said the la times reporter was speaking out his ass getting all his info from an "annonymous" source and it's not correct.

M-1 fucked up the entire deal.

If Fedor does not sign with the UFC he really has no other offers that would even come close to what the UFC is presenting. It's just a matter of time before Dana starts pulling back and tells M-1 to go fuck themselves again.

Here's the deal that was offered...

CBS Radio MMA Host

Twitter.com/Carmichaeldave

So we all know the deal with M-1 and what they are saying about co-promotion. I'm not here to say who's right and wrong in this deal, but I can tell you some of the specifics that were offered to Fedor.....

- The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That's 5 mil a fight

- The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot

- Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor's purse.

- Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.

- The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo.

Apparently, for good or bad, M-1 refuses to sign a deal unless the UFC agrees to co-promote.

I can tell you right now, the boys at ZUFFA will never, EVER agree to that. So if M-1 doesnt relent on that item alone, the Fedor to UFC talks are dead. Look for Team Emelianenko to turn to Strikeforce next. With co-promotions already in the books with Affliction, that shouldnt be a stopping point.

Here's some information from bloody elbow that make sense why fedor and company have refused UFC offer-

"From the moment the deals were being rumored, I believed that Dana White and Zuffa were so confident that Brock Lesnar would beat Fedor in the Russian's first UFC fight that they were willing to offer lots of terms (loosening the champion clause etc) that they would not have offered if Fedor was going to be facing Randy Couture, Cro-Cop and Big Nog in his three UFC fights.

I think Fedor also is concerned that he might lose to Brock Lesnar -- and there's nothing wrong with that, Lesnar is a beast -- and even a 30% chance of Lesnar winning the first fight is a big risk for Fedor. Especially in his first fight in a cage with elbows on the ground. Fedor's history of getting cut in fights makes a cut stoppage from an elbow an exceedingly likely outcome.

In closing, here's the case for Strikeforce:

1. No elbows on the ground.

2. Willingness to co-promote. Remember, Fedor isn't just a client of M-1, he's supposedly a 20% owner -- that's twice the share Dana White has in the UFC. There's also a strong element of Russian nationalism. Fedor's never been seen on national television in Russia. Affliction had just scored a deal to do that. Also, don't forget how "business" is done in Russia. I don't want to speculate, but if I was Fedor, I'd be very hesitant to dump my Russian partners.

3. Strikeforce's roster of Brett Rogers, Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem is a very credible roster of foes for Fedor -- they are ranked #8, 10 and 14, respectively, on this month's USAT/SBN MMA rankings. And I'm sure each would enjoy the "Josh Barnett effect" of rising several notches upon the announcement of a signed fight with Fedor.

4. Non-exclusivity. With Strikeforce, Fedor could quite possibly continue to fight in Japan on the odd New Year's Eve for DREAM, maybe even against Josh Barnett in a fight many still want to see.

Fedor has an enormous amount to lose if he makes the wrong step. Clearly his refusal to sign with the UFC and their aggressive PR will cost him the hearts of many MMA fans. At the same time, most of those fans will tune in to watch his next fight, regardless of opponent, especially if it's on CBS. If Strikeforce manages to book him against legitimate top 10 competition, he will only grow his appeal and be able to demand even more from the UFC if there is a next time.

Fedor has firmly established himself as the greatest heavyweight in MMA history thus far. He could decide to retire today and his legacy is secure. He really has nothing to prove. Sure he could potentially build an even bigger legacy in the sport by fighting in the UFC, but he could also damage his status as the (virtually) undefeated king of MMA.

Sure he'll take a hit with MMA fans in the U.S. But honestly, how much does Fedor care about that? He lives in Stary Oskul, Russia. How often do you think he logs onto Sherdog or BE to read the comments? The man has a financial future to think about and he's the one who steps in the ring/cage. He can do whatever he wants and the fans can either watch this supremely talented fighter and continue to wonder about might have beens or try to plug their ears and close their eyes. God willing, Fedor has many more fun fights in his future. Me, I'll be watching whatever he does."

Here's some information from bloody elbow that make sense why fedor and company have refused UFC offer-

"From the moment the deals were being rumored, I believed that Dana White and Zuffa were so confident that Brock Lesnar would beat Fedor in the Russian's first UFC fight that they were willing to offer lots of terms (loosening the champion clause etc) that they would not have offered if Fedor was going to be facing Randy Couture, Cro-Cop and Big Nog in his three UFC fights.

I think Fedor also is concerned that he might lose to Brock Lesnar -- and there's nothing wrong with that, Lesnar is a beast -- and even a 30% chance of Lesnar winning the first fight is a big risk for Fedor. Especially in his first fight in a cage with elbows on the ground. Fedor's history of getting cut in fights makes a cut stoppage from an elbow an exceedingly likely outcome.

In closing, here's the case for Strikeforce:

1. No elbows on the ground.

2. Willingness to co-promote. Remember, Fedor isn't just a client of M-1, he's supposedly a 20% owner -- that's twice the share Dana White has in the UFC. There's also a strong element of Russian nationalism. Fedor's never been seen on national television in Russia. Affliction had just scored a deal to do that. Also, don't forget how "business" is done in Russia. I don't want to speculate, but if I was Fedor, I'd be very hesitant to dump my Russian partners.

3. Strikeforce's roster of Brett Rogers, Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem is a very credible roster of foes for Fedor -- they are ranked #8, 10 and 14, respectively, on this month's USAT/SBN MMA rankings. And I'm sure each would enjoy the "Josh Barnett effect" of rising several notches upon the announcement of a signed fight with Fedor.

4. Non-exclusivity. With Strikeforce, Fedor could quite possibly continue to fight in Japan on the odd New Year's Eve for DREAM, maybe even against Josh Barnett in a fight many still want to see.

Fedor has an enormous amount to lose if he makes the wrong step. Clearly his refusal to sign with the UFC and their aggressive PR will cost him the hearts of many MMA fans. At the same time, most of those fans will tune in to watch his next fight, regardless of opponent, especially if it's on CBS. If Strikeforce manages to book him against legitimate top 10 competition, he will only grow his appeal and be able to demand even more from the UFC if there is a next time.

Fedor has firmly established himself as the greatest heavyweight in MMA history thus far. He could decide to retire today and his legacy is secure. He really has nothing to prove. Sure he could potentially build an even bigger legacy in the sport by fighting in the UFC, but he could also damage his status as the (virtually) undefeated king of MMA.

Sure he'll take a hit with MMA fans in the U.S. But honestly, how much does Fedor care about that? He lives in Stary Oskul, Russia. How often do you think he logs onto Sherdog or BE to read the comments? The man has a financial future to think about and he's the one who steps in the ring/cage. He can do whatever he wants and the fans can either watch this supremely talented fighter and continue to wonder about might have beens or try to plug their ears and close their eyes. God willing, Fedor has many more fun fights in his future. Me, I'll be watching whatever he does."

Thanks for posting that. It makes much more sense why this contract is being continuously re-negotiated. For the sake of me being a fan and wanting to see him fight, I'd love to see him in UFC.. for his career as a fighter, It seems to make more sense for him to stay out.

vitor goes up against rich franklin in ufc 103-

hendo will get another chance at the spider's title-

tito is back and will probably face off with old man coleman-

baldy white and company are still trying to get fedor and will do their best-

that was the big news mister clean had for us mma fans today.

I really wish there was an official ranking system on fighters.

I know that there are a few organizations that do have a ranking system for mma but my issue is the ufc. For example bonners last fight, that was a gimme from dana white, maybe im wrong but id be very interested to see how they are ranked and who gets a title shot and on what basis that title shot was given to them.

Any BJJ players in here doing the Pan Ams in NYC in October?

I'm thinking of it. I may even do the absolute division for the lulz.

probably not, i just had surgery on my arm (job injury) a couple of weeks ago, i dont think my doc would let me compete. it takes me a month to get fully prepared for competitions and shit, but unfortunately that whole month will be used to heal my arm.

good luck if you decide to compete though.

do u guys think gina can beat cyborg??

No Cyborg has a killer instinct that Gina does not, also she reminds me of a female Wanderlei in his prime.

And here is a pretty good article on the Fedor/UFC ordeal.

Sorting Out The Fedor/UFC Talks

Thursday, 30 July 2009 22:21

The UFC offered him $30 million! Why did he turn it down?!

Lets start with the reported $30 million offer. The source is Carmichael Dave, who is a total UFC mouthpiece. I'm not saying I think he's lying, or more specifically the UFC fed him false numbers. However, this is definitely the best case scenario for the offer. If Fedor finished out the entire 6 fight contract and each fight did excellent PPV numbers, he'd walk away with $30 million (maybe even more).

I'm not saying it's a bad offer. It's more than fair from a salary standpoint. The point I'm trying to make is the UFC put the details of this offer out there to garner public support. They want to make Fedor and his handlers into the bad guys. A week ago Dana White was on the radio saying the UFC does not release full salary info to protect their fighters. Now he's feeding a story to his friend outlining the offer to Fedor. Releasing the details was a calculated move and it worked perfectly. If he ultimately does not sign with the UFC, they can use the offer as evidence to discredit Fedor's standing as the best fighter in MMA. They'll say, "We offered him the world! He wasn't interested in fighting the best competition."

Can you explain what "co-promotion" means?

Um, kinda. M-1 Global has been mostly vague with what they actually mean by "co-promotion". I'm not even sure they know for sure. The best I can do is give you an example of how a co-promoted event would work. Lets call it UFC/M-1 "Never Gonna Happen". The first obstacle would be contracts. The UFC requires their fighters to sign exclusive deals, which means they can only compete under the UFC banner. A co-promoted event would feature fighters signed to the UFC as well as M-1. I doubt the UFC would be interested in allowing any of their exclusive fighters to face someone from M-1. If the M-1 fighter won, the UFC would have no future rights to the winning fighter. They could sign certain M-1 fighters to non-exclusive deals, but that would go against the UFC's business model.

The next stumbling block concerns money. M-1 wants to split expenses and profits. Again, they're vague about what this means. Lets say we line up Lesnar/Fedor for the main event of "Never Gonna Happen". Is M-1 going to split Fedor's UFC salary? Will they pay half of Lesnar's? Or will they only pay Fedor's M-1 contracted salary? I don't see how M-1 could afford to pay half of the UFC salaries for Lesnar and Fedor, so I'm gonna assume the only thing they'd be on the hook for is Fedor's M-1 contracted salary. You can probably see why this is a huge problem. It doesn't make sense for the UFC because they have to pay both fighters, while their "partner" does not.

All right, "Never Gonna Happen" is over and it did 1 million PPV buys. Time to split up the profits. Again, there's an obvious problem here. Back to the contract issue...The UFC would pay a larger portion of the salaries, so they should get a larger slice of the profits. M-1 would counter with, "Well, we gave you Fedor and be brought in the viewers." They want everyone to believe Fedor is a PPV giant, when in reality he's closer to 5'9. It's illogical for M-1 to get half the profits when they didn't pay half the salaries or even have the biggest draw on the card.

So co-promotion will never work?

If you take the PPV aspect out of it, you have a much easier process. The problem is you would not see much profit. The UFC does not have a major TV deal that pays them billions like the NFL. They basically use their televised events on Spike as a means to promote their brand and PPVs. Sure, they make money on the live gate and advertising, but it's not all that much. I don't see either side being interested in this option.

What are Fedor's other options?

Not many. He could either sign with Strikeforce or go to Japan. Strikeforce would be the best fit because they're fine with co-promoting. They actually have a need for a partner. The only way I'd see it working is if Strikeforce wants to put on a PPV. They'd need the additional revenue to afford his salary. Personally, I hope Strikeforce passes. They aren't ready for PPV yet. Maybe 6-12 months from now, but at this point their PPV would rely too much on Fedor's drawing power, which is not nearly enough. They need to build up their current roster a little more before making the leap. A Gina Carano victory would go a long way to meeting this goal.

As far as Japan, it might be the short term solution. At this point, it would be odd to ship him away to Japan, after all the time and effort Fedor's handlers have spent introducing him to the North American market. I could see a fight, but beyond that it does not seem like a good fit.

What is at stake for the UFC?

Signing Fedor would be great, but the UFC will continue doing insane PPV numbers without him. Their Heavyweight Division is stocked with interesting fights for at least the next year.

What is at stake for Fedor?

Lots of money and possibly his well earned legacy. More and more fans are beginning to question his status as the best fighter in Mixed Martial Arts. They're buying into the UFC's motto that to be the best, you have to fight the best.

How do you see this turning out?

There is still some hope. As I mentioned during Dana White's conference call, he wasn't totally bashing him. He said a lot of negative things, but he also left the door open for a deal. That said, I think the more likely option is the UFC sets their sights on putting M-1 Global out of business. All it would take are some well placed counter events. Lets say M-1 and Strikeforce partner for a PPV. Okay, the UFC schedules an event the same night, stocks it with some big names, and broadcasts it on Spike. Even worse, they could hold the event nearby and put a dent into the attendance as well. They did it to Affliction, so I don't see why it won't happen again.

The other less dramatic scenario is to wait it out. Fedor doesn't have a long list of possible opponents. Brett Rogers, Alistair Overeem, Josh Barnett (in Japan), and Fabricio Werdum - that's really it. There is also the random chance he loses, which would kill M-1's bargaining power and make a deal with the UFC more likely.

BJ for the win saturday

I'd like to see Florian do it but I don't see it.

That shot of BJ jumping out of 3 feet of water and landing on the lip of the pool with no hands would break my morale.

I can't front on Silva either even though I want to see Griffin take him.

Feeling underdoggish for Saturday.