UFC & MMA thread

Blaise Pascal

i've been training in Muay Thai for about 9 months. i'm about to get ready to take my shorts test and then start competing (muay thai fights are illegal in my state so i gotta travel). i'm trying to go to Thailand for 1-3 months and train and fight out there by the end of the year. i'd like to pick up BJJ as well to get some ground game in me.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^oh okay...

so your goin to do mma or just muythai ?

right now i'm just focusing on muay thai, trying to build up my skills with that.

then i'm gonna add BJJ to the mix.

i wanna compete in each one separately, that way i have a real good foundation to start with if i ever decide to do mma.

on a serious note im tryin to have more kickin power on my weakest leg what are sum exercises i can do ??

Kick with it more. Really.

The power of a Thai kick generates from proper technique, all the weightlifting in the world won't help you if your technique sucks, which is most likely the case due to the fact that it's your weaker leg. For proof, look at the 100lb Thai fighters that will fuck your shit up and they have toothpick legs.

Once your technique is sorted, things like deadlifts, squats, etc. will help you, though.

I should probably go back to MT. I've been focusing on BJJ exclusively as it's competition season, but I could use to punch someone.

a good exercise for muy thai kicks is kinda like a v formation, in normal stance do a roundhouse, bring your kicking foot down to exactly where your standing foot was, and bring that foot back to get ready to kick, basically hoping to south paw or vice versa then repeat the kick landing back in normal stance. and repeat fast 100 times. its basic, more for speed then anything, hope it makes sense.

are you going to the mundials heel. moe?

are you going to the mundials heel. moe?

I'd love to, however, it's clear across the country for me. My lack of funds is astounding at this point, too, which also sucks.

I think my next competition is going to be the NAGA in Wildwood, NJ in August, as no one can give a clear date of when the ADCC East Coast trials will be held.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Machida.

He really showcases that karate can be a useful discipline in MMA, keeping it old school and not getting caught up in the bar toughguy Affliction wearing attitude that MMA is hyping on right now.

The Hughes vs Serra fight was boring tonight, I actually had Serra winning. From the bottom he was advancing more moves than Hughes was while on top.

That was a good fight, Evans really had nothing on him. Hughes/Serra was a bit of a letdown but I guess UFC these days is either real exciting or straight boring. On the other hand, Hughes was essentially out quick in the 1st round from that head butt, I think he held Serra off well all things considered. Drew Mcfedries delivered.

Evans did not showboat this time, it's just his usual style. He really looked like he had no clue what to do although I expected him to fall back on his wrestling background and at least try some takedowns. He seemed relatively humble in defeat, he needed that loss.