How to spot a graffiti artist...?

ghostdog221

lmao

i was checking out some sites, looking for some throwups

and instead i found this: http://www.vandalwatch.citysoup.ca/Graffiti/default.htm

scroll down to where it says "How to spot a tagger"

some of you have probably seen this... but its new to me anyways

Really though, they can't box us in

we don't all wear mark Ecko tees (well, not me anyways)

i don't know about you guys but i dress classy when i bomb:

tuxedo.jpg

discuss what you think about this

discuss graff stereotypes and how we are gonna spray paint your neighbors new BMW

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That whole web site is hilarious

Skateboard

Skateboarders have evolved more into taggers, but may utilize skateboard lingo, groups, or names, e.g. "Team Dread".

Bubble Gum

The eternal proclamation of love, e.g. "Jim loves Laura"

hah

this is just like how everyone from around my way thinks that all writers are black.

yeah, so many people painting with cans are young suburban white kids, lashing out at their surroundings with urban envy. the media, in turn, tells them this (like the website above) is the image of a graffiti artist. creating the identity crisis, that leaves some huck finn mother fucker, turning into an over night gangsta. i can understand people growing up in surroundings that create a thug mentality. but does anyone agree that too many kids take on a persona because it's what they are basically told by the media, and not what they grow up around. another image that kind of bugs me is the broken home image. it seems like whenever i read an article, they always focus on the fact that the writer came from a broken home. here's the latest one i've read, and i actually appreciate this article (so far, still haven't finished it)

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0709,gardiner,75911,2.html

i can understand how a broken home can lead to graff, and to me --it is a positive vice to have. i do however disagree that the image of the broken home needs to be oversaturated in most representations of graffiti artists. why can't it be a kid from a positive home, who is just having fun. or a kid who has a great home life, but a horrible chip on his shoulder for the system in charge of his surroundings. why can't it just be a thrill junky kid, who loves running through train yards, instead of a kid who's dad is a drunk and rapes his sister?

i think we all need to realize that graffiti is a lot more than an image. maybe there is a certain attitude that goes with it, but i think that is more of an individual thing, and shouldn't be a generalization. the whole fashion image really revolves around a hooded sweatshirt or baseball hat pulled down low. this is only because people put hoods up and hats down to hide their faces while painting. it doesn't mean we walk around hiding under a hood all the time --which some kids do.

really, it all comes down to what's an image, and what is nature of your surroundings. i personally am far from a graffiti artist on so many levels. i don't consider myself one, more of a spectator who dabbles for fun. when people hear how much i love graff and hip hop --they kind of laugh, and i can tell they almost look at me with the thought "wigger" rolling through their heads. for me, graffiti is an influence, not an image. i am not a graffiti artist, but someone who loves the art and makes strides at perfecting my own skill. it's all for me, and i kind of hold some pride to that shit. i'm not doing it because i saw style wars, and want to be a"seen" or a "skeme." i didn't grow up near trainyards, nor in that era. i just want to go out, have fun, hang out with friends who paint, and be able to see what i've done when i'm done. i still haven't hit the streets yet, just hidden spots from the rest of the world. i'm hoping to start this spring though, but i still need to work on my skill and style. i can admit all of this, and that i'm a "toy." i'm not trying to front on anything, but i have been following graff long enough to know what's up, and what it's all about. i learned everything i know from positive writers, who showed me what's up and what it's all about.

ok, i'm done with my soap box.

haze, graff doesn't really predate hip hop. i mean you can call out hobo art, roman catacombs, cave paintings, kill roy was here --but graffiti (as we know it) is a hip hop element. when people were writing in the early 70's --it was during the dawn of hip hop. the influence of jazz, soul, funk, and reggae djs was busting out hard. mix that with hard urban strife, and you've got the beginning of hip hop. hip hop djs owe all respect to the reggae djs that were migrating to new york and other cities. the whole idea of painting back then was also rooted in hip hop culture (which was just urban culture back then). it wasn't until people started calling it hip hop in the late 70's/early 80's that it took off as a solid culture unified by three basic elements (music/graff/dance). but even before it was labeled, it was all hip hop in it's infant stages.

haze, graff doesn't really predate hip hop. i mean you can call out hobo art, roman catacombs, cave paintings, kill roy was here --but graffiti (as we know it) is a hip hop element. when people were writing in the early 70's --it was during the dawn of hip hop. the influence of jazz, soul, funk, and reggae djs was busting out hard. mix that with hard urban strife, and you've got the beginning of hip hop. hip hop djs owe all respect to the reggae djs that were migrating to new york and other cities. the whole idea of painting back then was also rooted in hip hop culture (which was just urban culture back then). it wasn't until people started calling it hip hop in the late 70's/early 80's that it took off as a solid culture unified by three basic elements (music/graff/dance). but even before it was labeled, it was all hip hop in it's infant stages.

you are wrong, i cant explain further right now because im at work. but you are wrong.