Detached Retina

fuse=--action

Any of y'all ever have one of these?

My pops does right now and he has to go into surgery today. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing.

The operation has an 85% success rate. The alternative is completely losing sight in that eye though. Afterwards he won't be able to fly for 2 month's time (or else the bubble they put into his eye would explode (pretty metal)) which means that he won't be able to do his job the best of his ability. That kinda sucks, but mostly I'm worried about the operation.

In medical terms, is 85% a good success rate or what? I'm aware that there are plenty of operations that have lower rates of success, but where does this fall on the risk scale?

-fuse.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That's a pretty high success rate considering you are reversing something.

You gotta figure the most common surgery is a c section, and the relating surgeries, which have a pretty high sucess rate. I mean, it's pretty hard to fail at snipping the skin between the butt and vagina.

Anyway that's pretty high, best of luck!

firstly, let me say I iwsh your pops the best of luck. that's some awful business.

secondly, 85% is an amazing success rate. he'll be fine. I had a surgery a few years back that only had a 40% chance of failure and I pulled through fine. it wasn't life threatening, by and means, but its still a scary thing. any surgery is.

how does a retina become detatched, exactly? anything eye related freaks me out, for some reason.

I just got home and asked my mother what's the deal with the surgery, and she said that my father is still waiting to be operated on. He got there first thing in the morning, but I guess there is a line?

It's a three hour operation, four if there's complications. Three hours seems like a long time, but putting it next to my cousin's 6 hours of surgery that he had to have done on his neck, it doesn't seem so bad. Apparently, from what my dad told me about it last night, it takes 3 hours because there are a number of steps that require a certain amount of time in between each step.

how does a retina become detatched, exactly? anything eye related freaks me out, for some reason.

Usually it's associated with a blow to the head. But as WhoAmI stated, any number of things can cause it.

Also, the eye thing freaks my dad out too, and it caused him a lot of worry about the whole thing. The upside to this is that the doctors said that if he had come in a week later he probably would have been permanently blind in that eye, so it's good that they caught it in time.

-fuse.

Thanks for the support guys. Hearing that 85% is still good in medical terms is comforting.

Back when I was a teenager I used to fight a lot. No big story there, but one time I was in a fight with some fool that took boxing lessons and he managed to pop me in the same eye twice during the course of the fight. Boring story short, I had shit in my eye all day, and just figured it was some dirt behind my contact lens. It didn't go away after I took out my contact and cleaned it, so I went to the eye doctor. Turns out I had a detached retina, and the eye doctor scheduled me for surgery the next day.

My eye was basically filled with blood at this point, and it was difficult to see out of. Basically, picture one of those military mesh screens that they drape over tanks to camouflage them from enemy aircraft, color it reddish brown, place it in your eye and try looking through it. It's in the viscous humor, and swishes around every time you move your eye.

Next day rolls around and i go in for surgery. I figure I'll get knocked out, they'll cut open my eye, and I'll be useless for a while. I wasn't too concerned about losing my eye, and if I did it was alright with it since my vision in that eye sucks anyways. The surgeon lays me down in this chair with some laser apparatus over me, and proceeds to pry my eye open with some kind of clamp. During no part of this surgery was I put under. The assistant had to keep putting drops of some solution in my eye, probably to dilate the pupil and keep the eye moisturized, since I couldn't blink. The actual surgical process was uninvasive. They pretty much set up this machine over my eye, armed with a laser, while the surgeon moved it very slightly and cauterized the detached retina back in place. The process was pretty quick, but the laser was incredibly bright and it gave me a super intense ice-cream headache. I still had a lot of blood in my eye, which the surgeon advised me would settle over time, and the headache lasted for several hours.

I hear detached retinas are more common in people with astigmatism, since the shape of the eye isn't perfect.

This was about ten years ago, and I still sometimes get little wisps of blood floating around in my eye. Some days it's worse than others, and I generally only notice it on bright, sunny days, looking at a white wall, or something like that. Aside from that, there's no lasting effects, and it hasn't altered my vision at all.

My mom just called and told me that my dad just got out of surgery.

The doctors said that it went well except that there was a lot of bleeding, so it will look pretty bad. Also he has to spend the next week and a half face down. This means that the next week and a half is going to be miserable because, if I know my father, he will probably be pretty frustrated at a lot of times. But then again, he'll also be on drugs, so it might not be that bad.

Good to hear that the procedure went well though.

-fuse.

He must have had the condition for a while, since they had to do the gas bubble technique. The reason he has to stay face down is because the gas bubble in his eye was placed there to push the retina back in place so it can heal. Glad it went well. He can expect some blurred vision for a while after, but it should clear up.

My father punched my mother in the face real hard once.

She was swoll and blind for a week.

It went away, she forgot.

Ten years later, she went blind in her left eye.

Detached retina.

She got it sewn up.

And wore an eye patch for a few weeks.

Her vision is going now.

I don't know if it is related.

Or she just got dealt a crap hand in life.

does any one else on here ever see those almost transperent bubbly things, ecspecially againt certain backrounds or like when you look to the side and then look straight ahead real fast?

theyre just constantly on the surface of my vision, they look like the portal from donnie darko- the thing that comes out of dudes chest.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
does any one else on here ever see those almost transperent bubbly things, ecspecially againt certain backrounds or like when you look to the side and then look straight ahead real fast?

theyre just constantly on the surface of my vision, they look like the portal from donnie darko- the thing that comes out of dudes chest.

Lint...get some eye drops girl

It's called "visual dust". It occurs when rods and cones detach from the inside of your eye. It's harmless and completely normal, but the bits can take years to disolve.

You're talking about the black dots that you can occaisonally see when you are staring at a bright surface or whatnot, right?

-fuse.

It's called "visual dust". It occurs when rods and cones detach from the inside of your eye. It's harmless and completely normal, but the bits can take years to disolve.

You're talking about the black dots that you can occaisonally see when you are staring at a bright surface or whatnot, right?

-fuse.

not at all. like transparent bubbles, like the one that comes out of donnie darkos stomach during the scene where he;s watching football? the bubble thing leads him into the closet where the gun is..? i know youve seen the movie.

all i could find pic-wise was this crappy sketch on google image. but maybe now you get the idea

donniedarkorg7.jpg