Big Island of Hawaii: Hawaii

deterrent

The island of Hawaii, commonly called the Big Island, is nearly twice the size of

all the other Hawaiian islands combined. Geographically it's the most diverse

island of the archipelago, with deserts, rainforests, volcanoes and, surprisingly,

snow-capped mountains.

The mountains create a barrier that blocks the northeasterly trade winds, making

the western side of the island the driest region in the archipelago. This coast has

the best beaches and water conditions. The eastern coast is rugged, with pounding

surf, tropical rainforests and majestic waterfalls.

I'll be there for 10 days after cinco de mayo.

I know a bunch of the stupid facts of Hawaii, but I need the LowDown information.

BN2945_14.jpg

Is there anything online telling about events/concerts/and stuff for Hawaii?

Who's been?

What's fun?

Punkrock culture?

Is there graffiti?

Sharks and under water shit to peep?

Non-tourist activities?

Local bush-push?

HipHop culture?

Local beers?

Ruins?

Stuff to steal?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Soon after the trip you'll get I'll photothread of all the tail and coconuts you can handle.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
T

Is there anything online telling about events/concerts/and stuff for Hawaii? Lots of slackstring music.

Who's been? I was there this last summer

What's fun? I had a blast

Punkrock culture? Punk is Dead. But throw some D's on it and your good.

Is there graffiti? Yes. Much of it is BAD.

Sharks and under water shit to peep? There are sharks. Some young female Rowers hit the beach from the water with a real get the hell out of the water speed. And it turned out as they were rowing not far off shore they saw a 15 foot shark. Not so COOL. what was cool is that same beach was littered with big turtles (in the water) and you can swim close to them and see them. Although after the shark i was less into then, not wanting to be mistaken for turtle shark lunch. There were also clear almost invisible jelly fish, which i saw a few of but didnt dance with them.

Non-tourist activities? If you have been there your tourist. Go to the water park where they filmed 20 fisrt dates. SO AWESOME to be where what ever his name was. COOOL!

Local bush-push? are talking about weed or the president? Decent weed and the pres suck there like he does everywhere else.

HipHop culture? If you can get past the term Brah and other funny phrasing its all hip hop twice removed.

Local beers? MMMM no idea.

Ruins? eat at the worng street vender and your insides will be the nearest ruins to you. I went to see the Pearl Harbor memorial. And as a not so loud patriot It was a humbling experience and worth it to reaffirm the sacrafices that have been made by your country men.

Stuff to steal? I was on a military base, didnt get the opt to steel much, septing some ZZZZs when cap'in sargent wasnt looking.

You should rent a car and drive around the island, the climate changes are really amazing, as you go from area to area. It can rain like 3 times a day, but only for a little while each time and its so warm that rain cools you and the air off.

Becareful, in some areas becasue some locals are really not into mainlanders at all. Also be aware of your surroundings. I woud up at ICE beach that was filled with rugged surffers and ICE makers/Doers, and they rival any park of math heads in the states, a lil 730 if you feel me.

I didnt see as mch as i might have, but i was there to catch up with fam and that took up most of my time.

Belton and montana is retardedly expensive. 8$ montanas 12$ beltons. Reg american paint is more tolerable if your going to buy it, although they have the same stores and such so if your sticky fingured do your thing.

Beaches, the good beaches are hard body. Flabo Hev was in the 'dise. boat drinks and eye winks.

Go to the home page for a radio station on Oahu called island 98.5 Its got links and info for Big Island Events. There's some graf but it's spread out. Lots of chill spots to paint if you go hunting. Not to sure about any punk scene... its mostly island music and raggae. As for the femmes... just look around... most are in the 8's range of hittable and a lot of 'em are down.... local girls are off the hook.

One.

Who's been? to the big island? no :( but lived on molokai & maui

What's fun? the beach, some of the most beautiful girls you'll ever see in your life, luaus/eating, snorkling or scuba diving if you're more daring, horseback/mule riding, historic sites, taking breathtaking photos, watching the sunrise and sunset...

Punkrock culture? not sure about the big island, but there probably are some punk rockers in oahu. some in maui, maybe. heres a run down of some of the islands:

the big island- kick back with some fun stuff to do, but really kick back

kaua'i- VERY kick back and low key. go here if all you want is to hike and go to some beaches and possibly meet some locals and get invited to one of their crazy rager parties in the jungle/forest.

oahu- tourist galore. you got your clubs, the "freeway", beaches.. etc. balance of citylife with an island twist i guess. alot of tourist go here.

maui- a nice balance of both. its not toooooo low key like kauai... but its not as city as oahu either. my favorite island.

molokai, lanai- this is somewhere you can go by boat for the day just to check out the phallic rock on molokai and learn about lepors. kinda like kauai but i think a lil bit more even low key. on molokai there is like 1 mcdonalds, 1 movie theatre, 3 stop lights. if you go to molokai you can go up to kalupapa and ride a mule up some pretty mountain trails, check out where lepors used to live and if you wait till midnight, go to kaunakakai and get a loaf of their famous "sweet bread."

Is there graffiti? YES.

Sharks and under water shit to peep? on the big island? not sure sorry.

Non-tourist activities? find a friendly local at the beach and ask him where you can buy some bud. aka pakalolo. then ask him whats really hood and where the party/ragers at.

in those exact words.

Local bush-push? what?

HipHop culture? YES YES.

Local beers? GREEN BOTTLES aka heinikens. thats as local and as hawaii as you are gunna get.

Ruins? ok

Stuff to steal? stealing from hawaii is bad karma dude. you might get beat up

i suggest the following:

things to bring/buy:

YOUR CAMERA & extra FILM, batteries, etc)

YOUR SWIM TRUNKS

buy one of those disposable under water cameras

sunscreen

(i suggest buying everything like sunscreen and film in the states because hawaii is EXPENSIVE.)

a backpack to put all your shit in to walk around and etc. i hate walking around as a tourist having to hold my purse/camera/shit i've bought. backpacks are so much easier.

condoms if you have high expectations i guess

ps: i'll be on maui in may too :) !

tongans are worse, just saying.

but i knew some really nice tongan friends in HS though.

hahahahaha. "TCG"s are funny. tongans are the hardest people to understand next to micronesians and hardcore fob philipinos. you lived in maui? wow didn't expect that. but i do NOT suggest the big island if you're looking for island vibes w/city like areas to hit up. the big island is basically a very tropical version of barstow. long drives, tiny towns with very rural states of mind sorta deal. and yes, do not stare at locals, they don't like seeing fair skin tones or out of towners. in fact, big island does NOT want tourism in general, they don't depend on it for its economy. if you wanna go to an island with island feeling, decent beaches, but still a place somewhat like the mainland, go to oahu. its' got certain areas and beaches that are just as tropical as big island, but you don't have to drive for another 50minutes afterwards to find a 7-11 for a fucking drink and a hot dogg ya know? just my opinion, but for serious bring a camera and lots of stuff. stay up and have fun while you're there. and yes, RequestMusic charges retarded prices for montana and belton. its one of only TWO stores throughout allllll the islands that sells/imports it. even when you order montana/belton for here in wholesale, you must order one whole pallet, and because of shipping charges to a place not connected by land to the 48 us, it ends up being about 4-5bucks a can at cost.

I've lived on the big island for the last 17 years but now live partially on oahu and the big island.

Inter-island plane tickets are about $29-40 one-way with Go! Airlines. They run from the crack of dawn till about 8pm, but dont count on buying a $29 ticket the same day you want to fly.

Is there anything online telling about events/concerts/and stuff for Hawaii? You can pretty much count on not seeing a major concert here, ever. Maybe catch some local reggae acts, though.

What's fun? Surfing, Waterfalls, the volcano, smoking some of the finest outdo herbs, mini-breweries, black sand beaches, sunny kailua-kona, rainy hilo, jumping off cliffs

Punkrock culture? no.

Is there graffiti? its hidden

Sharks and under water shit to peep? you betcha.

Non-tourist activities? Hilo is pretty much dead after 11pm.

Local bush-push?

HipHop culture?

Local beers? Yes, the mehana brewery is right near the airport in hilo, they'll sell you a growler for $15 and you can refill it for $5

Ruins?

Stuff to steal?Hilo Walmart is free-for all and largely untapped resource.

fuck, i'd love to share more but i gotta go to class right now.

nah brah walmart iz wack brah, i jus go trade coconuts fo paint from braddah koko down by da bridge pas da big mango tre ladats. he geevem good deals ba! and ho caz da spots stay hiddened behide buushes ba gotta bring machate kine. chop em ladat. chee pono!

enjoy your stay, stay away from the sole/tongans and donttake home lava rocks.

ALOHA.

oh dude i forgot to tell you! dont pick up any rock and certainly DO NOT BRING IT HOME.

and if you see lil tribal people act like they're not there and run away

and if at night when you';re asleep and you hear drums.. act like you're sleeping! night marchers!