the un official workout thread

podrido

im trying to take time off because my forearm near my elbow (top of my arm) have been strained and feeling shitty for some reason. probably from barbell curls or something, but it sucks. if any of you feel a weird strain in your forearms while doing bicep exercises, i highly suggest you lower the weight instead of pushing through it like i was

i thought i was the only one but that used to happen to me when i'd do it too much. it felt like shin splints. i ended up looking it up right now and this is what i found.

tl;dr = the squiggly bar prevents the shin splint feel but barbell targets muscles more

Barbell vs. E-Z Bar

Another option for many of the exercises on this page is to use an E-Z bar instead of a standard barbell. Studies show that curls performed with a straight barbell are slightly more effective at targeting the muscles of the biceps than the E-Z bar. The problem with using a barbell for curls is that it oftentimes leads to pain in the wrists and forearms. After performing a few sets of curls with a barbell, many people begin to experience a pain that is similar in feeling to shin splints, only it is felt in the forearms. The shape of the E-Z bar is designed to relieve this stress. If you are able to perform curls with a barbell without any pain, then it may not be a bad idea to continue to do so to get the best results possible. If you suffer from the pain described above however, as most people do, then opt for an E-Z bar instead. The marginal benefits you would receive from using a barbell are not worth the pain.

http://www.home-workout-routines.com/biceps.html

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

nobodies, thank you for finding that. im glad it's common and it's not something like tendonitis that i was really thinking it could be. it must be from the barbells because within the last month and a half or so i have been trying to kill my bicep workouts with barbell curls, since they are considered the quintessential bicep exercise for building mass. definitely not worth the pain though, i'll go back to the EZ curl mostly

i don't like patrick willis or tim tebow that much but i like training/lifting for sports. these videos show different workouts you can do.

pretty sure no one has all this equipment but what he does looks really fun

i especially like when willis says just do what feels right and a strong core makes everything easier

some fun upper body workouts

for the ab fags jk haha

I love how cutting carbs is sooo damn effective.

What's some good workouts I can do to beef up my calves? I do the calf raise every time i'm at the gym, but I'm not getting the results I want...

Jump rope brother. I've been boxing my whole life and I do some crazy jump rope workouts

that hit every part of the calf. Overall, a quality jump rope routine will develop all of your leg(s).

• Like 1

I love how cutting carbs is sooo damn effective.

What's some good workouts I can do to beef up my calves? I do the calf raise every time i'm at the gym, but I'm not getting the results I want...

do you do the standing calf raise?

i like to warm up with a seated calf raise on a leg press machine, then sometimes calf raises on a hack squat machine, then smith machine calf raises, then this upright seated position old as fuck calf raise machine at my gym.

- smith machine calf raises

- hack squat calf raise
  • Like 1

naturally my calves are pretty non existent, so i try to pretty much annihilate them once a week with my lower body workout instead of training them like a lot of body builders do, which is daily. with what i've been doing, which is 3-4 different exercises per calf routine for a total of 12-16 sets total, i have definitely noticed muscle growth and definition. everyone works different though, but don't forget that after a while your body gets used to everything you're doing and your growth plateaus. that's why it's good to switch things up.

Too many pages to see if it was mentioned yet. But if you're not familiar with the concept I highly recommend doing what is known as HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#Tabata_Method

The basic concept is you alternate intensity instead of a steady state when doing your cardio. So instead of doing 40-45 mins of a constant rate. Like say..75% of your maximal heart rate. You do intervals of low periods (like 65-70% or mhr) for anywhere from 60seconds to 120 seconds. Then you do short (30-60seconds) bursts of balls out intensity (85-95% mhr). It's supposed to jack the fuck outta your metabolism. Etc.

I used to think that I had the most Br00TaL-ass calves when I was fat. Then I lost 60 pounds and noticed that my dumbass needed to work on 'em.

Facts br0, lulz.

i got a chunky friend who has some pretty huge calves and they are probably the most toned looking muscle on him, but they aren't strong for shit. we work out at the same gym and he couldn't come close to my calf workout weight, yet my calves look like nothing next to his.

yeah i don't think im in danger of that, i do pretty basic exercises like dumb bell shoulder presses, side/front lat raises, face pulls and reverse flyes. i should do more military barbell presses but they just feel so uncomfortable to me and unnatural, not to mention behind the neck stuff

Front raises are redundant if you are already benching, overhead pressing etc...

I dunno how developed your shoulders are, but front delts usually get hammered during most upperbody work and don't need much specialization.

Military press feels weird if you don't take the bar off the rack properly.

You gotta be tight in your lats, legs, ass cheeks, etc...

Playing with your grip will help too as far as trying false grip or varying width.

I prefer overhead pressing to benching.

It feels more natural and I don't have to fucking lay down to do it.

As far as shoulder issues that dude was talking about up above, doing a good couple minutes of shoulder mobility before ALL upper body lifting is a good idea. Plus doing some minor outward rotation rotator cuff exercises on a cable machine a couple times a week with LOW weights and high reps is a recipe for bulletproof shoulder capsules. I use this one and my shoulders feel wonderful:

yeah i don't shoulder front raise very often, i kinda incorporate it into every other shoulder workout. you're right that it's redundant in a way, but it's still a different exercise that isolates the front delt a bit more than something that just hits it secondary. you shouldn't be hitting your front delts hard during most other upperbody work though. like i said, im just trying to make a better effort to prioritize my shoulders all around.

i've never had shoulder issues and i make a decent effort to warm them up most of the time, which i kinda took after seeing almost everyone in the gym doing that haha.

watched a dude doing some weird ass shitty squats today at the gym while i was doing barbell shrugs. dude put two 45lb plates on each side of the bar, lifted it, squated down but then sat completely on a stool he set up for a couple seconds, tried to stand back up and couldn't. just let the weight fall over in front of his head onto the rack. i don't get why people do way more weight than they are capable of doing.

going back to bikram tomorrow - hitting it every day for a month before I relax into a 3 / 4 day a week thing............ fix up look sharp!

i've been soooooooo lazy over the last 6 months or *so (*maybe even a year)... PLUS I have to keep remembering I cant eat whatever I want anymore. which is something i've never had to worry about! though, i've always exercised religiously.... used to run like 10 ks a day for years... my knees are fucked.

wah wah wah. will post results in a couple of months if im happy with them… back to a perfect 10 is the goal......! brrrap!

watched a dude doing some weird ass shitty squats today at the gym while i was doing barbell shrugs. dude put two 45lb plates on each side of the bar, lifted it, squated down but then sat completely on a stool he set up for a couple seconds, tried to stand back up and couldn't. just let the weight fall over in front of his head onto the rack. i don't get why people do way more weight than they are capable of doing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I always crack up when they hold their breath. shit is hilarity.