the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
jogging..

anyone get shin splints really bad? mine get quite numb after a mile or two.

i've tried different stretched, or putting ice on them after a run, to no evail.

anyone have any tips? shoes, stretches, etc?

Used to get them horribly when I ran in a pair of cheap $50 Nike running shoes. Then I bought a $150 pair and the problem went away. Felt like I was running on a cloud. Shoes can make all the difference.

thanks for the advice, i do need to upgrade my shoes for sure. i've never done tiablis excercises, but i'm looking them up now.

as for enjoying running, not totally. i do it to burn some fat fast, excercise my dogs, and releave some stress..

i'm good for 2-3 miles outside at a good pace or at about "7" for 2-3 miles on a treadmill.

I see.

Well, as far as the dog walking, that's a must.

As far as the rest of the jogging, I'd abandon it if I were you.

Firstly, the treadmill. It is useless for anything besides a warm up and the mileage you do on it is not nearly accurate because you aren't using all of your leg muscles to "run" on it. You are basically bouncing up and down on it. You could get the same amount of exercise doing jumping jacks.

Jogging doesn't burn fat fast.

It's steady state cardio and fucking boring, not to mention it's hurting your shins.

You could get much more out of sprinting 2 or 3 times per week if you're willing to change it up.

Just mark out a spot that is about 100 yards and gun it, rest, then do it again.

Do that until you can't do it anymore and you're done.

Takes like 10-15 minutes.

Burns way more fat and saves muscle.

Here's an article.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sprinting_towards_single_digit_body_fat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yo kiddies... i need some help finding a program.. the particulars

-been running and doing body weight stuff of and on for the past year. prior to that weights regularly

-It's too cold most of the time and snowy to go out, but I occasionally go hiking or some shit

-not willing to pay for weights or gym, as i am moving soon

-have access to stationary bike, rowing machine, and some piddly weights (3 lb dumbbells and ish)

-primary goal is burning fat, secondary goal is increase power, then mass (i'm a bigger cat)

-have the time for 2 workouts in one day

currently i'm working out about once a day for an hour with mostly rowing or burpees and/or pushups, sit ups, and some other slightly aerobic ish just to keep the heart rate up (shadow boxing, etc).

say word

yo kiddies... i need some help finding a program.. the particulars

-been running and doing body weight stuff of and on for the past year. prior to that weights regularly

-It's too cold most of the time and snowy to go out, but I occasionally go hiking or some shit

-not willing to pay for weights or gym, as i am moving soon

-have access to stationary bike, rowing machine, and some piddly weights (3 lb dumbbells and ish)

-primary goal is burning fat, secondary goal is increase power, then mass (i'm a bigger cat)

-have the time for 2 workouts in one day

currently i'm working out about once a day for an hour with mostly rowing or burpees and/or pushups, sit ups, and some other slightly aerobic ish just to keep the heart rate up (shadow boxing, etc).

say word

Convict Conditioning. I'll up it again if you need it.

How often do you gorillas take a rest week or deload?

I been going 6 days a week for about 4 months straight and I think I need to chill this week.

Been feeling lethargic and just tight all over since Friday night.

Haven't done much but stretch, sleep & eat since then.

I don't really buy all that programmed rest stuff, but rather do it when you feel that your progress is being hindered.

How often for yous fucks?

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so after doing the convict conditioning for a minute....

Like:

-it's focus on no equipment

-focus on overall development and not just for looks

-fairly simple system

-more physically challenging than anticipated

-almost entirely focused on strength/ power, so can do a cardio routine the same day

-different exercises.. it's nice to be upside down sometimes

Dislike:

-some of the later progressions in a step can get boring (3 sets of 40 vert pulls)

-not the fastest. you can't pump out a set quickly (120 vert pulls at the suggested 6 seconds a piece = 12 minutes of vert pulls, not counting rest)

-some of the earlier steps are almost all form, so it's hard to know if gains are due to better form or actual strength.

So i'm sticking with it for now. I'll probably reduce it if someone gave em a gym membership, but i ain't paying for that.

How often do you gorillas take a rest week or deload?

I been going 6 days a week for about 4 months straight and I think I need to chill this week.

Been feeling lethargic and just tight all over since Friday night.

Haven't done much but stretch, sleep & eat since then.

I don't really buy all that programmed rest stuff, but rather do it when you feel that your progress is being hindered.

How often for yous fucks?

lately, but mostly because of work, i haven't been lifting as much and i went to the gym 3 times this week,. i like to try and go 6 days a week and rest whichever day i feel like it. rest is important though....kinda....i guess

lately, but mostly because of work, i haven't been lifting as much and i went to the gym 3 times this week,. i like to try and go 6 days a week and rest whichever day i feel like it. rest is important though....kinda....i guess

in response to the original question:

i usually do a de load week every 4-5 weeks. either same routine im doing and only go up to 60% of the weight or if im traveling somewhere over a long weekend or something, and dont work out except maybe some pushups/light conditioning stuff, this will be my deload week.

you definitely should de load or you will either hurt yourself or burn your self out if you are going heavy

I just took a week off and ate a lot.

When I went back I was a bit tired, but I am a lot looser and able to put up more in my squat now.

I was doing power snatches and cleans 3 times a week on top of all the compound lifts I was already doing daily for like 6 weeks straight.

Shit had me a bit tired at the end of that 6th week.

I just took a week off and ate a lot.

When I went back I was a bit tired, but I am a lot looser and able to put up more in my squat now.

I was doing power snatches and cleans 3 times a week on top of all the compound lifts I was already doing daily for like 6 weeks straight.

Shit had me a bit tired at the end of that 6th week.

What were your gains like after going hard for six weeks straight?

What were your gains like after going hard for six weeks straight?

I didn't do anything on Sundays during that time, but...this week I am significantly stronger after my week off in my deadlift and squat LIKE WHOA.

Either I was underestimating what I could lift before or all that work paid off, because my dead increased like 40 pounds and my squat went up about 30 pounds. I think I still might be able to do more on the deadlift, but the squat was as much as I could handle and still go below knee level.

Also, snatches are fun.

As far as piss' foam rolling and all that.

I use a tennis ball and press up against a wall to dig it into my muscles some days.

I have a large piece of pvc to try and roll on but it doesn't cooperate with me well.

Maybe if i wrapped it in duct tape it would work better?