the un official workout thread

podrido

People over complicate exercising/working out like CRAZY!

It's simple.

The more work you put into it, the more you'll get out of it!

Bumping this for reference.

PS - I hate this time of the year for gyms, people with their new years resolutions half assing their way through a workout while their personal trainer looks on as they do quarter squats on the smith machine.

They're almost all gone by the end of February though.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Bumping this for reference.

PS - I hate this time of the year for gyms, people with their new years resolutions half assing their way through a workout while their personal trainer looks on as they do quarter squats on the smith machine.

They're almost all gone by the end of February though.

Depends on the gym. Feb and March are the worst months for me.

I'm training solidly again after a patchy 6-9 months of mostly bodyweight stuff. Prior to my hiatus I had been using the "531" program(strength training) with awesome results. So Ill give that a crack again. Anyone else done it?

Just started going to the gym this week, trying to actually stick with it.

Can anybody hook me up witha good workout plan for a beginner?

I dont know the names of all the machines, but this gym is like 3 levels, has an indoor track, pool, courts and every piece of workout equipment known to man.

Any plans or suggestions? Im mainly aiming for overall fitness, strength and basically to be in better shape for the summertime.

For a basic weight routine cover the 4 main exercises...

Bench Press

Squats

Deadlifts

Pullups

These 4 exercises, if done properly, will hit every major muscle in your body.

Then what I like to do is at least 2 isolation exercises for each of those 4 main exercises. So no less than 12 exercises all together. On bench press day I'll do the bench press (alternate between wide, medium and close grip), tricep pressdown (or skull crushers), incline bench, various shoulder exercises.

Squat day- squats, leg press, calf raise, weighted ab machine.

Deadlift day - DL's, stiff legged DL's, bent over barbell rows

Pull up day - pull ups, seated cable rows, shrugs and EZ bar curls.

So I perform isolation exercises that use the muscles that were used in my first compound exercise.

Stay in the 6-16 rep range, perform around 5 sets an exercise (no less than 3), always go to muscle failure, always use a weight you can handle, always have good form. Don't compare yourself to others at the gym.

My previous best lifts while training with "531",taken from my training diary.

Military press 70kg x1

Deadlift 170kg x2 (no belt)

Bench press 130 x1

Squat 152.5kg x1

After having a break I am ranging between 65-80% approx of my previous strength.

Does anyone know about the best way to trigger muscle memory?

I got a belt now also, which I think Ill start using once my DL gets above about 150 again.

My previous best lifts while training with "531",taken from my training diary.

Military press 70kg x1

Deadlift 170kg x2 (no belt)

Bench press 130 x1

Squat 152.5kg x1

After having a break I am ranging between 65-80% approx of my previous strength.

Does anyone know about the best way to trigger muscle memory?

I got a belt now also, which I think Ill start using once my DL gets above about 150 again.

how long of a break?

weird thing for me is whenever i take a week or 10 day break from the gym, next week i go in, i im pushing more weight on the squat.

how long of a break?

weird thing for me is whenever i take a week or 10 day break from the gym, next week i go in, i im pushing more weight on the squat.

I had about nine months since I was last training, consistently, in the gym. In this time I had about 3-4 of months of not doing much, followed by irregular gym training and fairly regular body weight stuff (mostly push-ups and chins). I found my bench didn't suffer all that much in the time off, but the endurance is gone. Ie I can do 1-2 sets of 120 at a couple of reps, but then need to drop it back down to about 90 to get sets of 10 after that, which is much lower than in the past. My squat has taken a big hit, so I'm happy to squat around the 120kg mark (6-8 reps) for a while. Shoulders have also taking a big hit.

I know what you are saying about the time off being a booster to strength. The 531 program has each 4th week set at about 60-70% (as far as I can recall) loading. But I noticed that I could skip training completely during this rest week and I would recover even better, which I did on and off. Interestingly, a few people said I noticeably grew a bit during these rest weeks too.

kilogram ass niggas

I'm saying.

Don't make me multiply.

I'm at the tail end of some Waterbury 10x3 program now and that shit worked out well.

My numbers are up in every lift.

The only one that is a bit disappointing is my squat.

Shit only went up like 10 pounds in 6 weeks.

Will 531 help with that?

Maybe my form is off.

I don't know.

I'm saying.

Don't make me multiply.

I'm at the tail end of some Waterbury 10x3 program now and that shit worked out well.

My numbers are up in every lift.

The only one that is a bit disappointing is my squat.

Shit only went up like 10 pounds in 6 weeks.

Will 531 help with that?

Maybe my form is off.

I don't know.

Its very possible. The principle behind the 4 week cycle is that if each week you go to max out your lift, you will make slower progress and plateau easier than if you cycle up and down. Imagine it like climbing a mountain in a zig-zag motion rather than going in a straight line straight up. Slightly slower over all progress, but less likely to hit a wall.

The core of the 531 4 week cycle works as follows (from memory).

week 1; 5 reps for 3 sets, the last one reps out.

week 2; 3 reps for 3 sets, the last one reps out.

week 3; first set 5 reps, second set 3 reps, 3rd set 1rm (or more if possible).

week 4; 60-70% loading 5 reps(?).

What you do on top of this basic core is essentially your choice. I would do another 5 sets of the same exercise at a lower weight for 10 reps, and then a couple of isolation moves.

At the end of each 4 week cycle, you add 2.5-5kgs to each exercise and recalculate your lifts for that month.

By reaching failure at a different weight with a different rep range each week, then having a deload week before starting again, you are less likely to plateau. I can say from experience I made much more gradual but consistent progress over the year or so that I was training with 531, than with any other training method. I have been training on and off since about 2001.

One great thing about this program is how strictly you are forced to train if you have already calculated each of the core lifts you will do before entering the gym.

^^^ explained pretty good.

this progression as well as a few others, like the west side progression will make your strength go up. guaranteed.

if you think your form is off, make a vid and post it here or on a forum and have people critique it. you can have your lifts go up by 10-50lbs just simply changing your form. even dumb things like foot position in the bench, width of stance in the squat, blowing your abs out against your belt, etc all make a big difference when doing these moves for strength.

• 2 weeks later...
Just started going to the gym this week, trying to actually stick with it.

Can anybody hook me up witha good workout plan for a beginner?

I dont know the names of all the machines, but this gym is like 3 levels, has an indoor track, pool, courts and every piece of workout equipment known to man.

Any plans or suggestions? Im mainly aiming for overall fitness, strength and basically to be in better shape for the summertime.

Yo Cunty, send me an email and I'll fire ya a couple PDF's that've helped me out. Easy,, user friendly stuff. Or hit up Lord Casek, kids a goldmine

my job moved into a new building, with a gym on site. its been dope. real empty, brand new, but you've gotta be a little creative as it doesn't have everything you may want in terms of equipment.

i took about 3 months of to drink and eat like a slob. i'm back on it, and have been doing more circuit training followed by 2-3 miles at about 8-9 minutes each. the gym is so empty, i can then run into the steam room, shower, and go home.

dang. puked doing PULL THROUGHS?!?!?! what happens when you dead lift for a 1RM? hahaha

Didn't quite barf it out, but I could feel that burning lump in my throat.

I don't know what was going on yesterday, but my body was acting weird.

I can usually get through my workout in an hour and spend about 40-60 minutes afterwards doing assistance junk.

Not yesterday.

I suck at deadlifts.

That's why I'm doing other shit to help me with them.