the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Also, has anyone converted a gym friendly version of p90x? There has gotta be a way to get a similar and effective workout comparable to p90x in a gym setting...

Tnx in advance.

I did p90x at home and it helped me a lot, but if you're going to a gym and are in decent shape already, I'd just ditch it and do olympic type lifts with some other supplemental exercises of your choosing. P90x was cool and all, but there is a lot of isolation work and the cardio stuff seemed like a waste of time to me. I'd rather do intervals and lift heavy barbells and be done with it instead of spending 90 minutes doing 15 different kinds of curls and tricep extensions. That's just me though. The p90x plyo workout was hard though. 60 minutes of squatting and jumping is fucking hard.

Greetings,

After about 16 year of not working out I have decided to get in shape. I am 32, not overweight and generally strong but not like muscleman strong. I have worked physical jobs most of my life until loosing my job 2 years ago.

I am not interested in becoming like Arnold or anything but have decided to look into weights which I have never done before.

Here is the routine that I am working on now:

Swim 30 minutes every morning, 400 yard IM with 100 kick and 30 second rest between sets, I have been finishing 3 or 4 per workout.

Jog one mile on the high school track every night, been doing this with my kid to help him get his time to the "minimal national standard" of 10 minutes, so it is not super fast running.

I have been doing this workout routine from another thread on 12 ounce, the hundred push-up challenge. I am in week three of the push-ups, week two of the sit-up, and week one of the squats. http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

It is my intent to continue to do daily swimming and running and do some sort of weight bearing workout every other day.

Now, I have some experience working out from my youth, I swam for many years and was on the wrestling team briefly but I have never really worked out with weights. There is a little gym in my apartment complex that has the usual suspects for cardio which do not really interest me, bar bells and some "Life Fitness" brand plate loaded weight machines.

I have noticed from reading back in this thread a little that weight machines seem to be frowned upon, is this for all use or just for like maxing out? Should I just focus on push ups and other body weight stuff for now?

Morton - sounds like you're doing pretty good with the non-weight training workouts so keep that up, it's more than i can say i do thats for sure. i get too into weight training and neglect other stuff like running.

if you're just starting out with weights, i'd recommend learning as many free weight exercises as possible. this link draws some of them out pretty well:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

For a basic weight routine cover the 4 main exercises...

Bench Press

Squats

Deadlifts

Pullups

These 4 exercises, if done properly, will hit every major muscle in your body.

Then what I like to do is at least 2 isolation exercises for each of those 4 main exercises. So no less than 12 exercises all together. On bench press day I'll do the bench press (alternate between wide, medium and close grip), tricep pressdown (or skull crushers), incline bench, various shoulder exercises.

Squat day- squats, leg press, calf raise, weighted ab machine.

Deadlift day - DL's, stiff legged DL's, bent over barbell rows

Pull up day - pull ups, seated cable rows, shrugs and EZ bar curls.

So I perform isolation exercises that use the muscles that were used in my first compound exercise.

Stay in the 6-16 rep range, perform around 5 sets an exercise (no less than 3), always go to muscle failure, always use a weight you can handle, always have good form. Don't compare yourself to others at the gym.

^This post should probably be on top of every page.