the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
As a guideline, never use machines or smith machines. They're nooo good.

Cabled weights are acceptable though.

Pros...correct me if I'm wrong.

i'm not really trying to dispute this since i prefer free weights as much as possible but i think a smith machine can have some advantages. the biggest reason i use the smith is im not comfortable benching heavy weight without a spotter. so for me thats their best purpose, maxing out your weight without a spotter. even though the Fonz once dropped a bench bar on himself and he's the definition of cool, its best to avoid that

i'm not really trying to dispute this since i prefer free weights as much as possible but i think a smith machine can have some advantages. the biggest reason i use the smith is im not comfortable benching heavy weight without a spotter. so for me thats their best purpose, maxing out your weight without a spotter. even though the Fonz once dropped a bench bar on himself and he's the definition of cool, its best to avoid that

this always sounds good on the face and i believed it for a long time.

however the smith machine puts you in an improper plane with the bar, and results in an natural movement. which is especially detrimental when using a maximal weight method/1rm etc.

just be prepared for shoulder injuries. its not a matter of if, its just a matter of when.

best bet is to lower your weight to 5 or 3RM's that you can handle yourself and wait for a spotter for heavy 3rm's, doubles or singles using proper form on a real bench.

• Like 1

When you max out your weight on a smith machine, it is going to be way different (easier) if you were to try to lift the same weight on a flat bench.

If you're worried about a spotter, just ask someone random at the gym if they can get you with a spot real quick.

it also usually results in your pushing the weight forward while pushing up, which is un natural in an actual bench press. same way with a squat. you push backwards as well as upwards when coming out of the whole. which basically means your stabilizer muscles are f'ed on the move. its always fun to watch the guy that quarter squats or half benches on the smith machine get under a bar on an actual rack

however the smith machine puts you in an improper plane with the bar, and results in an natural movement. which is especially detrimental when using a maximal weight method/1rm etc.

just be prepared for shoulder injuries. its not a matter of if, its just a matter of when.

best bet is to lower your weight to 5 or 3RM's that you can handle yourself and wait for a spotter for heavy 3rm's, doubles or singles using proper form on a real bench.

it also usually results in your pushing the weight forward while pushing up, which is un natural in an actual bench press. same way with a squat. you push backwards as well as upwards when coming out of the whole. which basically means your stabilizer muscles are f'ed on the move. its always fun to watch the guy that quarter squats or half benches on the smith machine get under a bar on an actual rack

this is sooo true.

my workout partner quit after a few months of lifting and i needed a spot for benching and instead tried using the smith machine.

the angle was so awkward that i quit benching on it after my warm up set.

someone said it, but you are better off just asking someone for a spot.

it isnt that good for squating either.

theres this cute girl at my gym that uses it to do squats and the angle she is squating at makes me cringe....it looks like she is going to throw her back out.

but i dont want to go up to her and try to correct her, because she will probably think im trying to get at her.

Okay, on some serious shit...

lets say you just downed some of the good ol' pre-workout curse (whether Jack3d or no-xplode)... but then you had to take a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE fucking dump right after, do you still get the effects or is it completely down the drain? literally..

It takes a bit for the body to process the stuff you just downed. You're safe, no money wasted.

thanks for the advice. i haven't had any injuries yet thankfully, and my shoulders never are in pain but i probably will just start using the regular bench presses more.

Seriously, you don't need protein powders and all those shitty supplements unless you're some competitive lifter who is in need of insane amounts of protein that would be very difficult to put down with normal food.

Stop reading muscle mags.

Protein powder isn't bad to have around for a quick on the go supply, but you should really just eat real food.

Whey powder if you want to fill up and not take in as many calories. Sill, the best way is to eat like a normal fuckin person. Well not normal in regard to the shit all of us cram in our mouths when wanting to.

I don't know, people desire different results. Me? I don't go to the gym. I don't take supplements. I use a minimal amount of free weights. I keep it simple. Sure my routine won't give you disgustingly sized muscles but it will strengthen you properly.

Most people I talk to in regard to my routine scoff at it. Mainly because they want quicker results well at least, more obvious results I spose.

thanks for the advice. i haven't had any injuries yet thankfully, and my shoulders never are in pain but i probably will just start using the regular bench presses more.

yeah man, when i started trying to get strong and not just big, i started using the 5x5 and starting strength type routines. i was scared to go heavy on the bench so i used the smith machine for a long time thinking it was the same. after doing this a while, i kept having recurring shoulder pain every couple months. i then got on the real bench and got proper form and descended with my lats and never had any more problems.

alright you mf'rs

joined a real gym finally. im talking a REAL gym.

monolift, atlas stones, 3 competition benches, 5 squat racks, more dumbells than i've ever seen in my life, thick bar, cambered bar, safety squat bar, kettle bells every where, dead lift platform, prowler, and the rest of the conventional machines. tractor tire in the back parking lot.

work out reports to follow next week