the un official workout thread

podrido

Yeah man, from my personal fat-loss experience, I realized that first you lose all of the 'surface' water weight, and once you do it long enough, you'll actually lose some fat in the middle of your workout and/or after it when you're sleeping (catabolic state). This is why its recommend that you dont eat before you sleep, that way once you step on the scale right after you wake up, your water weight and some of the fat that you've lost will be gone and your actual 'healthy' weight will show up.

As an ex high school fat-ass. Its a double-edged sword, you WILL lose weight, but you have a good chance of gaining some of it the next month (this is where eating 6 small healthy meals comes into play, it keeps your metabolism up and running so it'll break down a lot of shit), so you gotta be consistent with it.

Just my personal input, hope this helped.

and Urotsukidōji, yeah I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (I dont know why I feel like a br0 saying that).

ive always been skinny so i dont have much input on the weight loss issue, im tryin to gain weight haha

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

had a race today, just a 5k. didnt do good at all, but i gained 3 spots in the last 300 meters and beat a guy by one second haha.

but as a team we kicked ass, perfect score of 15 for the ladies (never been done before) and we got like 21 for the men, beat our "cross town rivals" for the first time in 5 years.

i've no doubt that man makers sucks, but to say they're better than burpees is wrong.

thats like saying a p90x pushup is better than a regular pushup. no shit. its like 12 exercises in one...

anyhow. i've let myself go. have minimal motivation and am not really sure what to do about it...

i've no doubt that man makers sucks, but to say they're better than burpees is wrong.

thats like saying a p90x pushup is better than a regular pushup. no shit. its like 12 exercises in one...

anyhow. i've let myself go. have minimal motivation and am not really sure what to do about it...

Fatty

i didnt even know you could upload videos longer then 9 minutes hahah.

il check that out tomorrow.

hey im working on a weight routine (xc season is ending soon, so is school schedule so im fixing to have a LOT of free time every day that i cant fill with running). ive got the reps figured out, but the lifts i still gotta work on.

so far for upper body (shoulders/bicept/tricept/pecs/forearm) the lifts i have are:

shrugs

butterflys

bench (wide, close and standard)

curls (dumbell)

arm extensions (dumbell)

reverse butterfly

pushups

forearm rollups (found a nice section of pipe i can use)

legs/lower back:

squat

leg extensions

leg curls

dead lifts

calf raises

trying to stay away from machines as much as possible. especially on all leg workouts, want to build up my support muscles as much as possible. i cant imagine they hurt when it comes to balance and running etc.

do i need to divide this up into 3 different sections?

im throwing in a ab/core workout but i dont know the names of half the shit i do for abs so i didnt list it.

all this will be done with atleast 30 minutes of running, or 4 miles, more when my body adjusts.

and lastly, leg day will be monday so i can run through the pain and not be sore for weekend races.

It's all about trial and error. Whatever works for you.. I have 3 different workout days which go as follows..

1st day... legs/lower back/abs

2nd day... chest/triceps/shoulders/

3rd day... back and biceps

compound exercises first, followed by isolation ones. Never get sloppy with your form.. blah blah etc etc.

And yeah.. let me know what you think about that vid

yeah i want to try to keep my workout to three days with a day imbetween each.

ive always been pretty good with form, id rather do 9 correctly then the full 12 incorrectly.

i was never told about compound/isolation excersizes. i assume compound is more then one muscle (like squats) and isolation is one muscle, like forearm rolls?

acer...

yeah its best to stick to compound moves for the majority of your workouts. concentrating on arm curls and flyes isnt the most efficient use of lifting time unless you are ahnold

presses for shoulders

presses for chest, tris, upper back, etc

dips for overall upper body

rows for back

chins back/arms

squats/deads legs

might also consider limiting your accessory and/or isolation work to parts that arent hit that hard in the main moves. things like shrugs/face pulls for upper back, curls for arms, laterals for shoulders if doing bench presses that day, etc GHR's/back raises for low back/glutes, etc.

all the other muscles will get hit hard on the compound moves.

in another words if you benching hard one day there is no real need to do 30 sets of every conceivable fly or pull over afterwards.

hey guys, i'm sure it's been asked before so sorry if i'm just repeating old questions. Any advice on a good at home strength training routine without weights? I'm trying to put on a little mass and get in better shape than I am now but for the time being unfortunately I don't have the money to join a gym or even pick up some weights to use at home. I'm pretty much at a beginner level too...any advice would be awesome. thanks guys

i fucking hate running stairs, so props to you for doing them.

i dont know anything about diets but i would HATE being on a diet while training for xc. not to say i dont each specific foods, but i damn sure dont limit my portions, etc etc. about the only rule i follow is nothing acidic and a no food/no water buffer zone a hour and a half before runs.

wait so working a muscle till its tired, and then keeping on working it doesnt make it stronger?

i hope im understanding your comment properly...

my point was that if you are doing the bench press with the right intensity and volume followed by say one supplementary bench movement, its generally a waste to then go into incline flyes, decline flyes, pec deck, cable crossovers, pullovers, flat flyes, cable crossovers from the bottom, etc.

the bench press is working all parts of the chest and also hitting triceps, lats/upper back and shoulders all in that one movement. if you do 30 min of flyes afterwards like some guys you are only then focusing solely on various heads of the chest muscle. where as you are hitting four muscle groups with the bench press alone. same is true of moves like the row or chin up as opposed to straight arm pull downs. if you are at 4% body fat and you are 'cutting lines' in for a body building competition, it might be fine to do a lot of isolation work. if you are trying to get huge, get strong or are starting out at weight lifting, compound moves recruit more muscle, will make you stronger and is therefore a much more efficient use of your time. think about it... what do people ask all the time? 'how much do you bench?' or 'how much can you squat?' they dont ask how much you use on the pec deck or how much you can dumb bell curl.