the un official workout thread

podrido

as a cyclist i dove straight into running 5+ miles

calves were sore at first… but it wasn't a problem, and the activity really helps curb my roadie cravings.

i totally agree about the ipod. i prefer to listen to my breathing while having the ability to hear what's going on around me.

also, night running is my new shit - so nice.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah and some chick in a foreign country got impaled by a frozen spear of piss that leaked out of a plane and fell from the sky.

does this mean you need to walk around in plate armor when you walk in large fields? no.

edit: regarding night running, im not a fan. i hate when you get soaked in sweat and then stop running and get all cold. morning running has got to be my favorite.

Qawee, where do you live?

If you're that worried about trouble you should probably just get a treadmill.

On the ipod subject, I don't even use music too much anymore when I lift weights.

I usually have some podcast about movies or some bullshit interview on.

I don't even really pay attention to them, but the background noise helps me concentrate a bit.

any of yall tried cytomax? made by the same people that make muscle milk.

might try it only because it was recommended by a mtb racer who does nothing but 6hr and 12hr races in the solo singlespeed class, and he said it turned him into the fucking energizer bunny.

and its cheap, so ima try it out tomorrow morning on a 8 mile run.

Ive taken cytomax. I like hammer nutrition more.

Yeah the 3000 calories fact was a bit misleading. IT happens WAY before you deplete your entire body of glycogen stores. Without getting too scientific (because I dont know the exact science) More trained muscles/bigger muscles = more mitochondria in your muscles which convert triglicerides [fat] to ATP [fuel]. So the more you work out, the sooner your body kicks over to fat stores. I think for the average person it's after the first 15 minutes of cardio.

Speaking of Hammer and all this crap

http://www.hammernutrition.com/hnt/1275/

yeah the thing is when i race, i race 5k's, which take no time at all. so its not like im going on a half marathon here, so i can get away with my piss not being clear, and you arent allowed to carry anything or touch anyone so i wouldnt be able to drink anything during a race anyways.

and regarding concealed carry when running, i know people whove switched out fishing line for their shoelaces on their spikes to cut down on weight. running with a gun would be like running in combat boots.

also, how the fuck would you conceal it? unless you run up north and can get away with wearing a hoodie, i dont see how you would.

The argument against carrying openly is that when you are carrying concealed, you have the drop on someone, whereas carrying openly, if a person already is willing to hurt someone, they may just kill you before you have a chance to react because they think you might put up resistance if that makes any sense.

boston t party of boston's gun bible fame likes fanny packs. i think they are gay, but like casek said, the fact that it can be used to carry a firearm negates its gayness i guess.

he is more in favor of them solely for air port travel, keeping everything in one spot, etc.

as far as concealed carry 'fanny packs' my dad has one and wears it damn near every day.

i keep telling him its fine to carry around the shop and all, but most experienced criminals and all cops know of the belt loop fanny packs used for concealed carry. which if you are trying to use the concealed carry to your advantage, your cover is blown. it would be no different than wearing a t shirt over your waist rig that is skin tight.

only about 8 states ban open carry. about 12 states dont even require a permit for open carry, as it should be, pretty much no questions asked. the rest can have local prohibitiions against it, require a permit to carry open, etc. 2 states (ak and vt) are concealed carry legal with OUT a permit. add arizona to that list as of the past few months.

quawee hit the nail on the strategy behind concealed carry. others believe, that the effect will be like LE officers. open sight of a firearm will deter criminal behavior against you. other people think open carry will just get you shot in the forehead immediately if someone wants to rob you, instead of just threatening you. both theories have merit. many people like to open carry in groups, especially in urban areas. open carry meets are quite common in virginia, vermont, new hampshire and other states, to educate the public and make people realize not everyone with a gun is a scary criminal. rural open carry is quite popular around the country. i see it quite often in the mountains. another disadvantage to open carry is you must be well trained in weapon retention. such as if you feel a hand on your firearm, you grab the wrist of the guy with the arm opposite the side you are carrying on, then elbow with your arm on the same side as your gun to the face, etc.

sorry for the rant...

back to weights, running and dieting