the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Protein and fat together create glucose. I would recommend just eating a healthy meal before working out with both protein AND carbohydrates. And an anabolic state is just your body trying to restore the 40,000 calories it has in it at any given time by burning fat, which consequently burns protein. Once again just eating a normal meal 30 minutes after working out will spare your muscles.

Since my post was appreciated I thought i'd just say for the record that it's not a complete piece of information when it comes to protein needs. The suggestion is an average person needs .8 grams of protein per kilogram, and athletes need 1.2 to 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

So do you need to consume protein shakes?

Say you've got a couch potato who weighs 70 kgs, I think that's about 150..155 in pounds, and he uses 2000 calories a day, and eats a diet which consists of 12% protein-- which is not unusual. That is to say he would consume about 240 calories of protein. There's 4 kilocals per gram of protein so that's 60 grams of protein, which when you divide that by his weight he has about .85 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. So he's right where he needs to be.

Say you've got an athlete who weighs the same and uses 3k cals per day. On the same diet, but just eating more of it, he's getting 360 calories of protein, or 90 grams. That's 1.3 grams per kilo of bodyweight.

So nutritional science says, no you dont need protein shakes. You should just be eating more, which a lot of coaches have a hard time convincing their athletes to do. And the amount of protein used for energy is small. (You can't use protein as a stand-alone energy source.)

I don't know much about bodybuilding products, but from looking at their ingredients I can say that the products are marketing supplements specifically for anaerobic exercise. This type of exercise is short and high intensity, like a sprint, where the muscles receive inadequate blood-flow and resort to using phosphocreatine in the muscles. People supplement creatine for anaerobic sports all the time, but there's adverse effects in some people. Since I don't know if more creatine in your body is even better for you, unless your body is depleted of creatine, makes no sense to supplement it.

There's also things in those products like BCAA's and caffeine which i wouldn't recommend anyone take. BCAA supplements can make your cells sick from the different amino acids competing in your cells. And then there are all these other things that I don't even know what they are, or why you would supplement them. The problem with a lot of these dietary supplements is that there is absolutely no regulation on them. I could brew up some dietary supplements in my bathtub depending on how clean my bathtub is that day and make any claim I want about their beneficial properties.

I would just be careful about the science behind all of that and if it's not in a nutritional science journal, or if the study was funded by the company itself, I wouldn't trust it.

On the subject of supplements, there's a lot of reports coming out in the last two years that've shown even multivits aren't only lacking all the nutrition of fruits and vegetables, but can shorten your lifespan too—specifically vitamin supplements A, E, and a couple others, but only in supplement form—The only two supplements that anybody should really take are vitamin D (especially around here in the winter), and B-12, which comes from bacteria. And if you don't want to supplement D or B-12, Sun is supposed to be the main way to get D, but man doesn't exactly inhabit its natural surroundings. And B-12 is from bacteria so you can get it in dirt, animals that eat dirt, fermented foods like kimchi, and a few others.

I decided im getting back into muay thai/jiujitsu stat.

Got into a fight the other day. Kid got choked out. Afterwards I felt bad and feel like if I didnt feel so threatened by some faggot because he was in my face and taller than me, maybe I would've tried to talk him down a little more.

Not gonna lie tho, watching his face turn purple and going to sleep felt good.

Im sensing sarcasm, in which case you're missing the point. I want to get back into fighting condition so when that shit happens I dont feel so threatened and drop the guy when there's no real reason I can't just walk away.

I don't know much about bodybuilding products, but from looking at their ingredients I can say that the products are marketing supplements specifically for anaerobic exercise. This type of exercise is short and high intensity, like a sprint, where the muscles receive inadequate blood-flow and resort to using phosphocreatine in the muscles. People supplement creatine for anaerobic sports all the time, but there's adverse effects in some people. Since I don't know if more creatine in your body is even better for you, unless your body is depleted of creatine, makes no sense to supplement it.

There's also things in those products like BCAA's and caffeine which i wouldn't recommend anyone take. BCAA supplements can make your cells sick from the different amino acids competing in your cells. And then there are all these other things that I don't even know what they are, or why you would supplement them. The problem with a lot of these dietary supplements is that there is absolutely no regulation on them. I could brew up some dietary supplements in my bathtub depending on how clean my bathtub is that day and make any claim I want about their beneficial properties.

I would just be careful about the science behind all of that and if it's not in a nutritional science journal, or if the study was funded by the company itself, I wouldn't trust it.

On the subject of supplements, there's a lot of reports coming out in the last two years that've shown even multivits aren't only lacking all the nutrition of fruits and vegetables, but can shorten your lifespan too—specifically vitamin supplements A, E, and a couple others, but only in supplement form—The only two supplements that anybody should really take are vitamin D (especially around here in the winter), and B-12, which comes from bacteria. And if you don't want to supplement D or B-12, Sun is supposed to be the main way to get D, but man doesn't exactly inhabit its natural surroundings. And B-12 is from bacteria so you can get it in dirt, animals that eat dirt, fermented foods like kimchi, and a few others.

Just did some research on all of this and for the most part I have to agree, except for some of the things you said at the beginning. No-xplode has nitric oxide (NO) which opens up the blood vessels, making NO-XPLODE good for aerobic exercise as well as, like you stated, anaerobic. Also creatine supplementation has been noted to improve the 8-10 second window of anaerobic exercise by .2 seconds. For, like you said, sprinters, that's the difference between finishing and not finishing. I think this is marketed to bodybuilders like this because for the most part, weightlifting is anaerobic, but can be aerobic if you're running a circuit. Also caffeine is a mild stimulant, as well as mobilizes fatty acids and glycogen. Probably why 90% of weightloss pills (dont ever fucking take them) are ridiculous quantities of caffeine. Also in what i read, it said that doing the 70% 1RM 10x3 once a week has shown to improve muscle mass and strength as well as any other exercise out there. Doing the exercise more than this may even be detrimental.

Im sensing sarcasm, in which case you're missing the point. I want to get back into fighting condition so when that shit happens I dont feel so threatened and drop the guy when there's no real reason I can't just walk away.

First I dont believe in training in a fight style unless you are going for the sport. (Or in my case, part of your job) Other then that why would a grown man feel the need to "drop" someone? I mean really, I haven't been in a fight since highschool...and I have never been in a place were I would need to "drop someone"?

Maybe you shouldnt hang out in shitty places

I workout for like an hour and a half. I don't eat much for two hours before my workout, because you'll have less energy to workout if your body is digesting food, and i have a protein shake and some meat nohomo right when i get back from the gym. It works for me.

ps. what does bulgaria have to do with sandbags? and what does romania have to do with keeping my legs stiff when i do deadlifts?

Oddly enough, that makes sense. I guess the "do what works for you" saying applies.

Bulgarian Bag Training

is this really true? i've heard of poker players fasting during tournaments because they say they have more energy for their brain if their stomachs are not digesting food. working out while youre starving never seemed good to me, but neither is a full stomach. i guess something light before the gym is the way to go. shake before the gym is probably good.

I eat 1/2 a Power Bar and an apple before the gym.

But that's just because I go after work and I am totally starving and there's no way I would make it through without something in my belly.

I don't do protein shakes or energy supplements such as NO-XPLODE, and I feel like my progress is just fine without that shit.

I decided im getting back into muay thai/jiujitsu stat.

Got into a fight the other day. Kid got choked out. Afterwards I felt bad and feel like if I didnt feel so threatened by some faggot because he was in my face and taller than me, maybe I would've tried to talk him down a little more.

Not gonna lie tho, watching his face turn purple and going to sleep felt good.

Did he spill something on your Affliction shirt, brah? Just kidding. Go for it, it's awesome. Then compete at Grappler's Quest, shit is tons of fun.

Its good cardio too, I went from a bulgy 240 to a nice 187 in like almost only 8 months or so, which is why I usually only lift weights when I go to a regular gym.

Did he spill something on your Affliction shirt, brah? Just kidding. Go for it, it's awesome. Then compete at Grappler's Quest, shit is tons of fun.

Its good cardio too, I went from a bulgy 240 to a nice 187 in like almost only 8 months or so, which is why I usually only lift weights when I go to a regular gym.

Hahahah. Funny how i go from being a jock to tight pants wearing hipster to affliction shirts on 12oz. I'm assuming it's all jokes but anyway, yea the place i used to go to was fairtex, which is a world renowned chain of facilities for muay thai. The one here in san francisco started marketing their program to the MMA crowd with a couple jiu jitsu instructors as well. I did intermural wrestling for a stint in jr high and highschool so it's fun stuff to continue doing, and kickboxing is just intense.

First I dont believe in training in a fight style unless you are going for the sport. (Or in my case, part of your job) Other then that why would a grown man feel the need to "drop" someone? I mean really, I haven't been in a fight since highschool...and I have never been in a place were I would need to "drop someone"?

Maybe you shouldnt hang out in shitty places

I feel the same way about people who exercise to lose weight. It's not going to work, no absolute health benefit to losing weight, and not the reason you do exercise anyway. You do it to have fun, improve cardiovascular health, and its also the only known form of neurogenesis. People that dont exercise are basket cases.

I dont know what you mean by sport, ie sparing or what, but muay thai's more or less ran like karate. You have individual events where you show off combos, and then if your gym thinks you're ready to spar it'll throw you in the ring. That happens 2...3 years down the line, if ever, and depends on a lot of things. I've done it for six months in the past so it's a long ways away, but that's not the point. Along with being fun there's the added bonus of staying calm in tense situations where you're being threatened and likely about to lose your shit. If there is a fight, you know exactly how you're going to handle it, so there's no stress and you can focus on diffusing the situation rather than focusing on how you're going to defend yourself. That's what happened the other day. I got so focused on how i was going to knock this fucking guy out I didnt give much to diffusing the situation except saying "I dont want to fight. Get the fuck out of here." a couple times.

And I could go through the whole situation but basically It might as well have been outside starbucks (across the street in a nice part of town). Defending fam was involved, recovering stolen property was involved, and beating up a bully was involved. I really wish I knew how to diffuse the situation without violence but this guy was clearly on something and was picking fights with everybody. I was the most capable, and i didnt want anybody else to get involved so I did what had to be done. That said I also did it without punching the guy or causing any harm to him. I just put him to sleep.

this thread has too much ridiculous side chatter.

maybe I should unsubscribe it....

just ran a mile in an atrocious 10 minutes then spent 20 minutes on a stair climber, looks like I was right, I need to start a serious cardio regiment.

I've lost 20 lbs in the last month, which puts me a 275lbs.....

In 7 months I turn 30, I am wondering if I can get down to 240lbs by then.