the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

165 lb curl is def. no joke, i know dudes i graduated with that probably couldn't bench that. either way this might be a bit personal but gliko i'd like to know if you ever took hgh, dbol, winni v or anything else other than over the counter supplements. a friend of mine was tiny all through high school and into his early 20's but when he got into weight lifting he took everything i mentioned plus some. now he incline presses 150 lb dumbells for reps

i've been going to the gym lately, but i always get a headache not long after i start working out. i don't know what's wrong with me.

i would consider taking some kind of hgh or something, for like 2 months, just to make a little more progress, but i wouldn't do it continuously because i don't trust much of anything like that.

ok, so i'm at a crossroads. I've achieved goal for the mile run. It's not anything special, however, I don't see much of a point in running more than a mile, except that it keeps the heart rate up longer, so I'm not sure if I should work on running 1 mile faster, or just run farther? Thanky

it depends what you want out of running.

endurance or speed. you can have both...

i don't know what your 1 mile time is. mine sucks (7:10), but i can run at that pace for 6 miles and not be destroyed at the end of it. (just to clarify: this isn't impressive/good i know, it functions as an "average" example though)

if you don't enjoy running try swimming...

• 1 year later...

sirs! i had a question on supplements that was lost when the oontz went down.

i currently take just protein supplements after workouts and the day after workouts.

i take a good multi, omega3's, flaxseedoil, and redrice yeast extract. thats it.

i want to put on some more muscle - i don't know a lot about bcaa's or other supplements.

but can you give me some thoughts on one-two things i can take daily that would give me some noticeable results?

sorry if this was answered before the blow up, but i wanted to make my purchases today - but i'm a noob in terms of supplements.

sirs! i had a question on supplements that was lost when the oontz went down.

i currently take just protein supplements after workouts and the day after workouts.

i take a good multi, omega3's, flaxseedoil, and redrice yeast extract. thats it.

i want to put on some more muscle - i don't know a lot about bcaa's or other supplements.

but can you give me some thoughts on one-two things i can take daily that would give me some noticeable results?

sorry if this was answered before the blow up, but i wanted to make my purchases today - but i'm a noob in terms of supplements.

I answered your question, but unfortunately the Oontz went down shortly after.

Basically, creatine is about all that's going to give you noticeable results. However, the results will be water weight. A BCAA product like Purple Wraath is dope for recovery, but I wouldn't attribute taking it to any gains I've made.

You're already taking the staples (multi, omega3, whey) so the only thing left to do is put the hard time in at the gym for a couple months. Make sure you're eating enough, make sure your routine is in order and you're bound to put on muscle.

creatine has a loading period and then a maintenance period. then cycle off and on.

google it. lots of good information about creatine. drink plenty of water. lift weights. see gains.

heres a link for mens health where you can download different workouts for your ipod. they have some free ones, and most cost some money. i've been collecting them for about a year so i've managed to scoop up some good ones each month as they put some on the free side.

http://www.menshealth.com/download/

i'm currently just trying to heal from a prolonged back muscle injury and doing a full body, bodyweight, circuit routine a few times a week. no weights, just classic multi muscle/body part movements plus being a circuit is quite cardio intensive.

i'm so out of shape from being injured i can barely accomplish the second set of the circuit.

• Like 1

This may be of use...

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91179

Creatine Myths and Facts

Researched and Composed by Jacob Wilson, BSc. (Hons), MSc. CSCS

Q: Is Creatine a Steroid?

A: I would like to dispel this myth by giving you the definition of what an anabolic steroid is. These are synthetic versions of the male hormone testosterone. Creatine, as you will see below is not. Basically anyone who says this should immediately be labeled a gymbecile.

Q: What is Creatine?

A: First, let me emphasize that our bodies already produce creatine naturally. Did you ever watch the transformers when you were a kid? Well if not, there were

groups of robots called " combiners. " They would join together and form an even larger and more massive robot, crushing everything in their paths! Our liver does

the same thing with the three amino acids, Arginine, Glycine and Methionine. It combines them to form creatine, much like the constructicons combined to form

devastator! Ok so that was a lame example, but it explains the process quite nicely. That being said, it is also important to understand that over 95 percent of this

substance is found in our muscles. With the remainder being stored in our brain, heart and other parts of our bodies.

Q: The clerk at my local sporting goods store, explained to me, that when your body runs out of food at night, your muscles can take the creatine in them and use it to fuel their growth.

A: I don't believe I will even waste my time dispelling his explanation. How moronic can you get? My real question is, where do these people get there information from? I actually have a theory on this very matter. I believe, that there is a moronic website that is the complete opposite of abcbodybuilding. I've tried to crack

the code, but gymmorons.com just didn't work. Perhaps they are trying to hide their identity? But regardless of my theory, the guy is dead wrong!

Q: What exactly does creatine do?

A:The main function of creatine is to provide our muscles with more energy. More energy means that our muscles can contract harder therefore our body must adapt to the greater amount of stress that we put our bodies through. It super hydrates our muscles and improves protein synthesis.

Q: How exactly does Creatine Apply to An Athlete?

A: Simple, it does so by enhancing your creatine phosphate energy system. This does a number of things:

1. Increases explosion - Most athletes notice more explosiveness after utilizing this supplement

2. Allows yourself to push yourself harder and longer. Note: Interestingly enough, creatine in some studies has been shown to buffer lactic acid. If this be true, then one can see how it can enhance any sport that requires one to run.

Q: What are the side effects of Creatine, and in General how safe is it?

A: As stated above, creatine is not, and I repeat not a hormone. Therefore it does not have the side effects associated with any Prohormone or illegal steroid. There have been hundreds of studies done on creatine that all show that it is a safe supplement. To further prove its safety two an a half million kilograms of creatine were consumed in the United States alone in 1999! That statistic alone speaks volumes about the safety and efficiency of this supplement! Not only that, but creatine has been the number one supplement on the market for almost a decade and no one has reported any adverse side effects from it. ( aside from the ones I listed above. )

Q: I don't workout, but do you think that creatine will build muscles and help me to lose fat?

A: No! If you don't workout I cannot imagine what supplement would help you. Creatine provides your muscles with more short term energy - but that is wasted if

you do not exercise them. If you take creatine you should push yourself even harder in the gym. The idea is with more energy you should be able to workout harder. A harder workout leads to increased muscle mass.

Q: Since Creatine makes you gain weight should I not take it on a cut?

A: Yes, creatine causes your body to hold water, but that is a good thing! The fact that your muscles are super hydrated even on a cut is fantastic. I see absolutely no correlation between taking creatine and our body storing fat. If anything, creatine will assist us in maintaining more lean mass while dieting. In my mind there is no point to discontinuing the use of creatine while trying to burn fat.

Q: Can I take Creatine and Protein at the same time?

A: Firstly, protein is a food product. If you couldn't take creatine and protein at the same time, then you would have to be a strict vegetarian and still you would end out consuming around 40 grams a day just from normal foods. To top this off, creatine is not much use without a significant protein intake. What is the point of pushing your muscles further than they are used to, if you are not going to provide the amino acids necessary for their repair?

Q: Which supplement is Better Creatine or Protein?

A: ( I probably get asked this question at least once a day through email.) Amino acids are the building blocks of our muscles. If you do not get enough than there is no point to working out. Creatine is an outstanding supplement, but if you have to choose from getting at least 1 gram a day of protein or getting your creatine then opt for the protein. However I do want to stress that creatine is an excellent supplement. In fact for assistance in muscular gains I would rate it second only to whey.

Q: I just got myself some creatine. Now I only started with half the dosage, because creatine fires me up and I don't want too much of a buzz in the weight room! So how should I up the dosage? ( Yes I know what you are thinking ( LOL ). I get these kinds of questions everyday though. I answer them because I was a rookie at one time too. )

A: Ummm, their are two things that come to my mind.

1. Your creatine has been spiked with caffeine or ephedrine

2. Your creatine has gone rotten and is causing you to have hallucinations ( LOL ).

Or a " Buzz " before your workout.

Creatine is not and I repeat not a stimulant! It should not make you have these feelings. Read my article next month on the subject and you will see why. Until then, if your container of creatine really gives you a buzz, then. throw it away immediately!

Q: I am breaking out, is it because of the creatine?

A: ( Again ) Creatine does not effect hormone levels in any way. So the answer is no.

Q: I am a woman and I was thinking about taking creatine, but I don't want to become huge and veiny like a man.

A: If that is the case, then I would suggest that you do not eat like the " huge and veiny " men that you do not want to look like. Creatine will assist you in your workout, but only calories will make you grow. Yes, creatine is an excellent supplement for mass, but only if you are eating for mass.

Q: Do you feel that creatine is cheating? I want to earn my muscles the hard way and don't want to cheat to get them.

A: ( I can't stand these types of questions!!! ) Yes, you would be cheating. You would be cheating yourself out of great gains by not supplementing with it!

Q: Is there anything I can take to make creatine a more effective supplement?

A: Excellent Question!

a. The first thing I would like to emphasize is that creatine will not work if you are not properly hydrated! It relies heavily on this, so you must drink tons of water, if you want optimal results from it. Super hydrating your body will also improve your weight room pumps tremendously!

B. Creatine is good stacked with high glycemic carbs, as well as sodium--they both facilitate creatine transport into muscle cells. This is recommended only for your post workout meal.

Q: What is the best method, dose wise, of taking creatine?

A: For creatine to produce optimal results, muscle stores must be topped off or saturated with it. To accomplish this you need to load the creatine for 5 days at 20-

25 grams, spread out throughout the day into 4-5 servings. This is the quickest and in my opinion the " best " way to saturate your muscles with creatine. Following this phase, all you need is to take 5-10 grams a day to maintain your saturation levels. After this, any creatine you take will be excreted as creatinine.

Q: Do I need to take my creatine with carbohydrates to make it effective?

A: Whenever we digest carbohydrates our pancreas secretes the hormone known as insulin. The simpler the carb, the higher a burst of insulin our pancreas releases to deal with them. The good thing about insulin is that it actually drives nutrients into our muscles to assist them in recovery. If you take creatine with fast burning carbs, it will increase the absorption rate in your muscles. However, insulin is also responsible for fat storage. Therefore my suggestion to you would be to only use a sugar spike like this with your post workout meal. This is because this is the least likely times that your body will store fat. Insulin control, is a massive subject and you might consider reading 13 weeks to burning fat, to become better acquainted with it .

Q: Do I need to Cycle Creatine?

A: My recommendation is to load for 5 days, followed by a 5-10 gram maintenance dosage for 4-6 weeks. Following this, there are two particular strategies:

1. You can take one to two weeks off and then start the cycle over. Many athletes attest to receiving a better results this way.

2. However, several athletes will never come off of it. They will load it for 5 days, maintain for a few weeks and then reload again. This is increasingly becoming the more popular method of usage.

i think heel's point is... that if you stop creatine and stop lifting for a month, you'll probably lose the 'weight' you had with creatine. it is mostly water weight, but that doesnt negate its other positive effects like your mentioned, as well as allowing you to lift harder and longer therefore leading to more muscle.

some creatine products tell you to take it before and after. others just after, others before.

if its plain jane creatine... just follow the directions on the canister.

best creatine product i've tasted is the controlled labs green matrix

im gonna start using this, with white flood and purple wraath, very soon

I wanted to share this article I originally read in menshealth magazine a year ago and it completely changed how I think about cardio work. Intervals. Pretty intense, if you read the bicicletas thread some of the experience racers always talk about riding intervals for training. It works wonders in shorter amounts of time. My 2 or 3 a week cardio lasts at the most 25 minutes including warmup and cooldown. I burn around 300 calories in that time.

heres the link..

http://www.menshealth.com/run/all-about-intervals.php

and now a wall of text....

As a man, you can accomplish many things in just an hour a week, based on my observations as a graduate student in exercise physiology at the University of Oklahoma. Here's what would not impress me: You watching any reality show with a number in its title. You doing chest bumps with your buddies during a pickup basketball game. You achieving your best score—ever!—on Guitar Hero.

What would impress me is you doing high-intensity intervals as your cardiovascular training. That means alternating between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less-intense activity or even complete rest. In fact, you can achieve more progress in a mere 15 minutes of interval training (done three times a week) than that guy grinding away on the treadmill for an hour. An intelligent man draws maximum benefit from a minimum time investment, and smarts are sexy. So are abs, a benefit of this training style. Researchers at Australia's University of New South Wales found that intervals burn three times as much fat as running twice as long at a moderately hard, steady pace.

ADVERTISEMENT

But interval training's benefits don't end with heart health, fat incineration, or the preservation of that most precious of commodities, your time. Most sports worth playing involve stopping and starting, not running at one pace, so you'll rule on the court or field. What's more, your muscles will learn to contract more forcefully. Ultimately you'll live longer, too, because intervals elevate the good cholesterol that makes your arteries whooshing streams and not plaque-strewn rapids.

How can stopping and starting during cardio do all that? Pretend you're back (or still) in college, and I'm your hot new teaching assistant. Class is now in session, so pop the lid off your latte and listen up.

Lesson 1: When your muscles contract repeatedly during intense training, they quickly use all available energy. So your body searches for fat. While that's going on, your body is quickly losing its ability to flush metabolic by-products from muscle. Ever heard of the burn? That's a buildup of ammonia and other bad stuff. Along with burning, this waste interferes with your body's ability to contract muscles forcefully. If you don't learn to manage the burn properly, your workout is doomed.

Lesson 2: When repeated bouts of high-intensity intervals are separated by short rest periods, each bout begins with a lack of available energy, and muscles that are already fatigued. "Interval training stresses energy systems in the body that aren't accustomed to being used," says Jeramie Hinojosa, M.S., director of the East Texas Medical Center Olympic Center, in Tyler, Texas. "Blood supply to cells increases, the cells use oxygen more efficiently, and the enzymes that help create energy also increase. This improves fitness." What's more, recovery from interval training forces the body to continue burning fat for energy. This all leads to an increase in postworkout calorie burning.

Lesson 3: There are lots of ways to do intervals. Over time you can adjust your ratio between rest and work, change the intensity of your work segment, or alter the length of the entire session. The new interval program that my university colleagues and I have developed produces truly amazing results, and it's perfect for people who don't like endurance training. As part of an experiment to test the ability of a dietary supplement to flush metabolic waste products from muscle tissue, we put a group of active college students (36 men and 33 women) through 6 weeks of high-intensity interval training on the stationary bike. Instead of the usual 30-seconds-on, 30-seconds-off approach, we had the students pedal intensively for 2 minutes, rest completely for 1 minute, and then repeat that sequence four more times. That's only 10 minutes of training! Even with the warmup and rest periods, they were looking at a 20-minute time investment.

After 3 weeks and a total of nine workout sessions, all 69 participants saw huge improvements. The maximum amount of oxygen they could consume—a measure of cardiovascular fitness—increased 11 percent. What's more, they were able to pedal 12 percent longer and complete 44 percent more work. After 6 weeks, the improvements were even more dramatic—18 percent in fitness, 17 percent in time to exhaustion, and nearly 100 percent in work completed.

To achieve the same results, use this workout chart. Measuring your effort accurately and training accordingly is a key to success. Let's assume you can't roll a metabolic cart up to the exercise bike like a scientist would. Your best bet, then, is to measure your heart rate using a monitor so that you can train at a certain percentage of your estimated maximum heart rate (MHR). (You can either use your own portable version, which attaches to your body, or grasp the handles on the machine. Most will provide a readout.)

Your MHR is 220 minus your age. If you're 28, the magic number is 192 beats per minute (bpm). So the goal for your first session would be elevating your heart rate to about 173 bpm (0.90 × 192) for all work intervals. If you look at your monitor and you're not there yet, push those pedals until you are. After 2 minutes, exercise lightly or rest.

Perhaps you're wondering: Is training at more than 100 percent of my maximum heart rate, like the workout chart suggests, even safe? Yes, because your body will make improvements as soon as you start training intensively. What seemed like 100 percent one week will be a level you can surpass the next.

If you don't own a heart-rate monitor or find one hard to use while you're shifting gears as intervals require, do it the old-fashioned way. Immediately after each interval, place your index and middle fingers on your neck just to the side of your Adam's apple or on the thumb side of your wrist. Once you feel a pulse, count the beats for 15 seconds. Multiply by 4 to determine your heart rate.

Bear in mind that even the lowest training level here (90) is quite intense. By the time you reach 100 or higher, you should be pedaling for your life, basically. You can also switch from the stationary bike to any other apparatus that elevates heart rate, including the treadmill, the elliptical trainer, or a jump rope.

As an avid runner and former college athlete, I wish I had known about high-intensity interval training earlier in my career. Huge gains doing cardio only 15 minutes a day three times a week!

30ifh1z.jpg

ps

instead of their chart, I use this pyramid for my times..

3 to 5 minutes warmup

30 seconds high intensity

1 minute low intensity

45 seconds high intensity

1 minute low intensity

1 minute high intensity

1 minute low intensity

90 seconds high intensity

1 minute low intensity

1 minute high intensity

1 minute low intensity

45 seconds high intensity