the un official workout thread

podrido

So one thing that's been really pissing me off is that I get sleepy halfway thru a workout. Like literally sleepy where I close my eyes and just want to lay out. I don't know what the hell is happening. I usually push thru it but I don't get a whole lot done after. PISSING ME OFF.

Problem? My diet? Horrible endurance?.[/color]

If all else fails, try this...

bsn-no-xplode-781842.jpg

Ive heard healthfags say it's not good for you, but if you wanna make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs.

edit:: Make sure you get lots of sleep the night before also. Dont set the alarm clock, let your body wake up on it's own, and THEN take this... you're going to feel like superman.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

PM sent^^

Appreciate everyone's advice. I can definitely see now it's my diet. I'll try and switch up a few things in what I'm eating and generally take into account what everyone's said. Cardio is def something I have to lay down but not to overwhelm the actual weightlifting. It's beneficial so I'll work it in more.

Thanks again to all the replies. I'll update progress in a few weeks or until I have something to bitch about again.

I'll go back to lurking now.

Argue if you must Soup.

But you're full of shit.

Why the fuck would I argue with a dude who's on an atkins diet, stressed out about not being under 175? I get the faggoty hazing process for me being the new guy to this thread and all, but i havent been wrong a single time since i first posted. And 175 is fat? Are you 5' 6"?

And you'll be amazed the amount of cardio bodybuilders actually do. Time-wise it's definitely a lot more than the actual weight lifting. Weightlifting, especially if you're bulking up, doesnt take long. Negatives with a spotter are only a couple reps and youre onto the next thing.

AWW: Buy a bag of mixed frozen vegetables. They are very cheap and easy as fuck to cook up. One cup for lunch and one for dinner. All you have to do is pour the cup of veggies in a bowl and microwave them.

Scooby will tell you about some cheap, easy food

Soup: It is virtually impossible to gain 20 lbs of muscle in a couple of months.

.5 lbs per week is the most you can gain. The rest is sarcoplasm and fat.

If all else fails, try this...

bsn-no-xplode-781842.jpg

Ive heard healthfags say it's not good for you, but if you wanna make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs.

edit:: Make sure you get lots of sleep the night before also. Dont set the alarm clock, let your body wake up on it's own, and THEN take this... you're going to feel like superman.

They say the same thing about energy drinks, but i wake up early and fucking work all day. When I go to work out I am fucking tired...just dont take a shit ton of it, it says to do three scoops but I did that once and it made me feel like I was on bad meth...so I just do one scoop or drink a redbull

I dont do it all the time, just when i am exhausted from work and have no energy to finish my workout

yall are retarded, leave soup to his faggotry.

race today. aiming to cut off another 30 seconds from my personal record.

probably not gonna happen, supposed to be 89 degrees with 72 percent humidity. thats normally okay, but not when its 65 with 20 percent humidity in the morning. atleast the wind will be up around 10-12mph.

/checkshourlyforecastonthemorningofracesoner.

I find it hilarious casek that a page back you were telling everyone how rad creatine is for MUSCLE GAINS, and now here you are telling me sarcoplasm isnt muscle. Those muscle GAINS by using creatine wasn't even sarcoplasm, but rather WATER. Since the only consistency you have in your posts is playing devil's advocate, I might confuse you for some faggot who argues a lot.

If you want me to refer to only muscle FIBER as "pure muscle" which by all means is stupid and any of that marketing bullshit you read would tell you the same thing, then that's still 70-75% of what was gained, meaning 13-14 lbs of muscle FIBER in 2 months. Where'd you even get .5 a week?

Is this feeling like semantics to anyone else?

Is there anyone aside from RH and AWW who isn't on my nuts?

And you're still missing the point. I was swole (well, 155 lb) in 2 months by using that shit. End of story. Not looking to argue with anyone over my reality vs what some fucking wikipedia document says is possible. Stop being nerds.

Edit: forgot to mention tho i was stacking it with different things within those two months. Went through a few pounds of weight gainer quick. Also some whey protein from ON, and eventually just started buying protein at giant bulk rates. 25 lbs for $50. Aside from having more protein than i knew what to do with (gave most of it away because it was sitting in a foodgrade bag and I didnt have the buckets to throw it all in) that shit worked. Chocolate lite muscle milk powder still is the best and tastes like fucking frosting.. and if you get it for $26, that's $10/lb... which is a decent rate for any protein powder, muchless one premixed with carbs, flavoring and vitamins. Oh, but hemp protein is still the best. Comes NATURALLY premixed with everything you want and need to synthesize that shit.

Sarcoplasm is fluid. It is not muscle. Creatine, I realize and have said, causes fluid build up in the muscle. The reason I am taking it, to repeat myself, is to stretch the muscle out and allow for more sarcoplasmic fluid. And once more, I am shooting for a little hypertrophy. I have thought about this long and hard, as well as done plenty of research into the matter.

Any doctor will tell you that it is only possible to gain .5 lbs of muscle a week. That is for the gifted people and beginners.

When you state that you gained 2o lbs of muscle in two months, you are either lying, don't know what you're talking about, or calling fluid build up muscle.

800 lb leg presses in a machine. A machine.

No one is on your nuts, dude. You just keep coming up with some crazy shit that even the newbs can pick out as complete bullshit.

Its only crazy because everything you know about working out is from a book and completely useless. I'm 5' 9" and went from 135 to 155 in two months. Fact. Go cry about how your pdf's lied to you.

And you're still on this jag about squatting being the only way to go. Squatting puts a lot of force on your hips and knees. If you keep your knees behind your toes, like i do, to reduce almost all the force placed on your knees, you throw all that force back on your hips... unless you use a bench. OR you can just use a leg press, secure your hips, keep your knees behind your toes, isolate the musclegroup you want even more by changing your stance and where you place the weight (toes or heels), and therefor safely use more weight. Can you press 800 lbs? No. You can't. Can my homie who you oogled in those calesthenics workouts legpress 800 lbs? Barely. One rep max and he's shaking the entire time. What's the point of this machine? It translates directly into cycling, which is why olympic teams use it all the time for road and track. For added plyometrics, you throw the sled. Lets see you do that with 600 lbs, let alone 800. And when the fuck am i going to need to learn to balance that weight above my head on a bicycle or anywhere in real life? Fucking never.

Dude, no. I think squatting has some serious benefits, but I am not all about it. I can't. I have a couple of metal bars in my legs and screws in my knee. I can only do bodyweight squats.

Am I ashamed? Nope.

I can do deadlifts, though. I believe that they are almost as good as a squat. They work for me, though.

All my reading, watching of videos, and paying attention to what people like AOD and some of the other experienced people on here say is what gives me knowledge. It's not like I'm only reading and not putting what I learn into practice.

Machine using faggot.

It still comes down to what you know from personal experience--and lets be real here, you're tiny.

I'm guessing at my weight when I say 140. I haven't weighed myself in a couple of months

and when I did I was 138. Since then I have increased my eating habits to several meals a day, a gallon and a half of water, protein shakes, and massive amounts of meat.

The reason that I stick to saying 140 is that I don't want to overestimate. I bench a good bit more than that and can deadlift a hell of a lot more. So, tiny as you may think I am, I am strong.

If you look at the average weight for guys my size, I'm over by around 10 lbs.

Btw: Personal experience=lifting. I do that. You have crappy comprehension skills. I've gotta go hack the gibson now.

My comprehension skills are wonderful. I can filter out the useless bits like THAT.

And you just got caught slamming a leg press for its machineless counterpart, that being squats.... which you cant even do. Im not sure what calling a legpress "faggotry" does except limit you to zero workouts when it comes to improving your bike riding in the gym. Kindof sad when i know thats how you even got into working out in the first place.

And the last two pages i gave you two ways of squatting without working the knees so if you werent ashamed before you better be now.

Not sure why a 140 lb dude with bad knees is taking squatting advice from a giant fucker with good knees like AOD.

My comprehension skills are wonderful. I can filter out the useless bits like THAT.

And you just got caught slamming a leg press for its machineless counterpart, that being squats.... which you cant even do. Im not sure what calling a legpress "faggotry" does except limit you to zero workouts when it comes to improving your bike riding in the gym. Kindof sad when i know thats how you even got into working out in the first place.

And the last two pages i gave you two ways of squatting without working the knees so if you werent ashamed before you better be now.

Not sure why a 140 lb dude with bad knees is taking squatting advice from a giant fucker with good knees like AOD.

I'm calling you a faggot.

What got me into working out was not my bike riding hobby. What got me interested in growing larger was the fact that I felt weak.

Why would I take squatting advice from AOD? Because he knows what he's talking about

and his techniques obviously work. Otherwise, he wouldn't be a big dude. I tried his way,

a personal trainer friends way, Rippetoe's way, etc. All ended in pain and slight swelling.

I can still deadlift. I'm good.

Ok, now I can go hack the gibson knowing I just "pwned" you. Internet victory is mine.

100 points, level up, etc etc.

• Like 1

casek, you tried the 'drink a gallon of milk a day' thing?

i have heard of some guys doing some crazy shit to gain weight. you may have to start eating a tad 'dirtier' if you are still having problems. im talking like eating a whole pizza for dinner in addition to protein and when this isnt a hard task, pour some olive oil on top of it type stuff. you might also try eating handfuls of almonds through out the day in between meals.

Its only crazy because everything you know about working out is from a book and completely useless. I'm 5' 9" and went from 135 to 155 in two months. Fact. Go cry about how your pdf's lied to you.

And you're still on this jag about squatting being the only way to go. Squatting puts a lot of force on your hips and knees. If you keep your knees behind your toes, like i do, to reduce almost all the force placed on your knees, you throw all that force back on your hips... unless you use a bench. OR you can just use a leg press, secure your hips, keep your knees behind your toes, isolate the musclegroup you want even more by changing your stance and where you place the weight (toes or heels), and therefor safely use more weight. Can you press 800 lbs? No. You can't. Can my homie who you oogled in those calesthenics workouts legpress 800 lbs? Barely. One rep max and he's shaking the entire time. What's the point of this machine? It translates directly into cycling, which is why olympic teams use it all the time for road and track. For added plyometrics, you throw the sled. Lets see you do that with 600 lbs, let alone 800. And when the fuck am i going to need to learn to balance that weight above my head on a bicycle or anywhere in real life? Fucking never.

there is no doubt about it that one can increase their body weight in two months by 20 pounds.

but the error is calling it 'muscle.' sounds good to your friends, but its a lie. just sayin

as for squatting being the only way to go....it depends what your goals are. as you said, heavy competition style squats are probably NOT the thing for cyclists to do. now if you want to get strong and that is your only goal, you squat. there is no better exercise to stimulate your CNS and in more laymens terms, make a man out of you. you squat if you want to get strong. leg presses are good accessory work for the squat, but they do NOT take its place. i just saw a kid today that couldnt weigh more than 150 put like 8 plates on each side of the leg press machine, pile 4 more on top of the machine and unrack the weight and barely bend his knees and push it back up. then his buddies stood in awe as he got up. this is not impressive. its stupidity. not only is this kid going to hurt himself, he didnt even do 1 rep.

in order to squat heavy, you have to train the weak points in the lift. hip flexors, hams, glutes. your quads can handle it, but if you are trying to squat as heavy as possible, you squat with your hams and glutes.

you want to try to keep your knees behind your toes but if you actually move to heavy weight and 'squat' with shoulder width stances on a smith machine, trying to keep your knees behind your toes, you are not using proper squat form. your feet will not stay under the bar on a smith machine in proper alignment with a shoulder width stance. it cant be done. what people usually do is put their feet way out in front of the bar to 'protect their knees' then squat down, all the while pushing BACKWARDS which eliminates use of all stability muscles as in a free barbell squat. you dont push BACK you push UP in a squat. this smith machine squat with a shoulder width stance w/ feet under the bar and not going in front of your toes will either result a good morning type move which will hurt your back on this machine or you put your feet out front and to the modified non squat move that is like using once of those squat machines.

the same is true of a bench press on a smith machine. to get proper form, your wrists and elbows must be inline with the bar. the smith machine goes up and down in a straight line. if you touch right below your chest and are positioned right, your elbows might be right but when you press up, you end up with the weight in the same line but with your elbows behind the weight. you dont train your stability muscles either. no matter which way you cut it, smith machines cannot duplicate proper free weight squat or bench form. you are essentially positioning your body around the bar to try to achieve proper form and technique instead of the bar being able to be moved slightly in order to achieve proper form or technique. much easier to adjust the bar when your are in tight position than your body.

but all this aside, body builders arent the biggest squatters. sure their are exceptions, but body builders want hypertrophy. 1RM squat sets are not going to give you cut up arnold quads. you will only get big as a side effect of getting stronger.

leg presses are not the same as a squat. they do not work the same muscles the same way. it is an entirely different lift. its folly to think they are equivalent. the platforms on leg press machines (unless you have that special and expensive machine from efs that has the huge platform) are way to narrow to even attempt to imitate a proper competition squat stance. if anything a squat and dead lift are more the same than a squat and leg press. the same exact muscles are worked but in opposite directions.

on a side note i just hit a personal record today.... after working up to a 3RM box squat @ 345, i did a 'widow maker' set of 225 x 22 reps. i was pretty much done after this, on the border of puking.....but did some rack pulls after a little break, worked up to 455 x 2, then some abs and glute ham raises.

then i drank that stuff soup drank and gained 19 pounds of solid muscle in 3 hours.

true story.

casek, you tried the 'drink a gallon of milk a day' thing?

i have heard of some guys doing some crazy shit to gain weight. you may have to start eating a tad 'dirtier' if you are still having problems. im talking like eating a whole pizza for dinner in addition to protein and when this isnt a hard task, pour some olive oil on top of it type stuff. you might also try eating handfuls of almonds through out the day in between meals.

Yeah, I tried GOMAD for a month. Shitting becomes a task instead of an enjoyment.

What I'm doing now seems to be packing on the pounds, just not getting it in my arms.

Kinda shocked because I work hard on my arms.

Now, my stomach is getting pretty big. Even bigger than when I complained a couple of weeks ago.

Eating dirty. I dunno about that. I was trying to do this thing pretty clean as far as foods.

You've got to figure that I'm 140 as of July. I'm shooting for 165 max so I'll weigh myself in November and figure out from there. That's a rough max. 155 would probably make me happy.

I keep forgetting about almonds being protein dense.

Yeah, I tried GOMAD for a month. Shitting becomes a task instead of an enjoyment.

What I'm doing now seems to be packing on the pounds, just not getting it in my arms.

Kinda shocked because I work hard on my arms.

Now, my stomach is getting pretty big. Even bigger than when I complained a couple of weeks ago.

Eating dirty. I dunno about that. I was trying to do this thing pretty clean as far as foods.

You've got to figure that I'm 140 as of July. I'm shooting for 165 max so I'll weigh myself in November and figure out from there. That's a rough max. 155 would probably make me happy.

I keep forgetting about almonds being protein dense.

dang man....

i thought i had it bad.

on a side note... get some fiber laxative pills, not an actual exlax pill, but the fiber pills. walmart has them. take 5 or 6 of those a day and you should be GTG on bowel movements.

^^^

Yes i completely agree with you. Choosing an exercise all depends on your goals; leg presses are not the same as a squat; knees behind toes; shoulder width stance; moar weight for strength; more reps for bulking up; widow maker type shit for endurance; machines may weaken the kinetic chain of muscular groups and should be used supplementally to isolate specific muscles that are weaker than they should be, etc. Almost everything you said I agree with, except (and this is probably going to get called semantics) for that bit about hypertrophy being for bodybuilders. You're actually comparing two different kinds of hypertrophy... and that bit about how you cant do box squats with proper form on a smith machine. I did it. And I know i did it right because my entire hamstring and ass hurt (with no joint discomfort at all) for the entire next day.

dang man....

i thought i had it bad.

on a side note... get some fiber laxative pills, not an actual exlax pill, but the fiber pills. walmart has them. take 5 or 6 of those a day and you should be GTG on bowel movements.

Yeah, well the reality is that I'm probably 145 from the looks of my stomach. Will do on the fiber pills, thanks.