the un official workout thread

podrido

^

muscle doesn't turn into fat. They're completely different things, a lot of times it seems like it because you're simultaneously burning fat and building muscle. For muscle size do less reps but with heavier weights and eat 1-1.5 grams of protein for every kg you weigh.

But what would I know I'm a fatbastard.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

abcs-

eating protein is good to maintain muscle and develop muscle, just remember that at some point, your body doesnt use excess protein and you piss it all out.

generally you need 0.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight.

for example someone that weighs 200 pounds is about 91 kilograms (because 2.2 pounds per every kilogram)

then multiply 91 by 0.8 will give you about 73 grams of protein.

so someone that weighs 200 pounds should eat about 73 grams of protein per day.

but this is for a regular person.

if youre doing cardio and weight lifting, you can multiply by as much as 0.9 or 1.0 instead of 0.8.

also remember that building muscle mass and resistance training is a good way of losing fat too....it takes a lot of calories to repair torn muscles from weight lifting.

oops...i didnt see fatbastards post.

1-1.5 kg protein seems to be ok...just remember that if youre paying for a protein supplement (like protein powder), you will be "pissing away your money" if you over consume (thats what my biochemistry teacher called it in class when he was talking about weight lifters who spend tons of money on protein powder.)

Faster reps or slower reps? I get more zoned if they're faster reps, especially with the bench

both accomplish different things.

power lifters like to use a 'dynamic' workout day. speed in another words. moving half of your one rep max as fast as you can for sets of 1, 2, or 3. speed and explosiveness helps build strength

slower reps crush more muscle tissue.

Been in the gym pretty strong for the few months and eating very healthy.

The cardio makes me feel good and all but ive been hitting the weights too.

Between the health food and the cardio I find myself eating ALL THE TIME.

And I stay hungry. Generally speaking im confused about how to do this shit.

I'm in good shape. Muscle definition front and back. Very little body fat.

I want to add muscle mass. Should i just eat a lot of protein. I feel like the

cardio is burning thru what should be used to develop muscle.

Give creatine a shot. Also, do squats.

my problem. if i start eating and drinking too much

it all goes to my stomach. I become a skinny person with

a gut. I wish the fat would distribute itself to my chest back &

arms so i could work it into muscle but such not the case.

I dont work with the bench. Sitting upright i use a chest

press as far as faster or slower reps is concerned.... It seems

iike i get more out of slow. Seems like going fast I could

hurt myself

eat 1-2 grams of protein a day per pound of body fat. lean meats, eggs, milk, protein powders. distribute between 4-6 meals. eat veggies. 40-80 grams (depending on body weight) of complex carbs atleast 3 meals of the day. oatmeal, rice, pasta, potatoes, whole wheat bread etc. lift like a maniac. if you start to get a gut, cut back on the carbs.

on another note, many strength coaches insist the easiest and simplest way to gain weight is to simply drink a gallon of whole milk a day.

i cant do that because for some reason i cant handle that much whole milk a day. 2% is no problem though

also remember that building muscle mass and resistance training is a good way of losing fat too....it takes a lot of calories to repair torn muscles from weight lifting.

most definitely.

if you are trying to get big, and doing a shit load of cardio, you have to eat more to replace the calories you lost. i would cut back on the cardio, eat more and do things like high intensity intervals/tabata, prowler/sled, sprints, barbel complexes, etc at the end of your work outs

also, when lifting stick to compound movements, bench, dead lift, squat, military press, dips, chins, etc. use barbells and dumbells, no machines. save the 60 sets of arm curls for aaahhhhnold or when you weigh 275 and have 4% body fat

bout to bust out some burpees.

these things fuckin work. do you do the descending set of 10?

ive been in good athletic shape all my life. ive been hella lazy over the last 5 years and have gotten a bit out of shape. busting out some burpees has showed results. when i go to the gym i just try and do a lot of cardio. anyone else have any suggestions for trimming down?

seems like the only place i seem to be visually out of shape is my midsection. im not trying to have a 12pack...im just tired of feeling like a fat ass when i skate.

• Like 1

again I'm no expert in this shit

a # of body fat contains 3500 calories

On an elliptical machine i generally

burn 1500 a week. 5 days. Half hour

pretty much handles 300 calories. Burn

excess calories and eat healthy.

After doing this for a month i looked and

felt 100X better

yeah, burning 3500 calories equals burning 1 pound.

so if you want to lose weight, you have to make sure that the calories you burn are more than the calories you consume....but remember that you are burning calories throughout the day, and even when you sleep.

registered dietitians and nutritionists have this thing called a three day food record, where they average about how many calories you are eating in a three day period (and how many of the nutrients you are getting as well).

then they will give you an energy expenditure log, to calculate how many calories you are burning in an average 24 hour period.....

they use these to asses overall calorie intake or output....i know this might sound complicated, but its not...i have some logs somewhere in storage...if you werent all the way in detroit, i wouldve came through and showed you how to do your own logs.

• Like 1

Who here does front squats?

I've been doing back squats for a long time, and I'm trying to start rotating front squats in every other week or so, but if I put anything over 135 on there that shit rapes my shoulders. I have pretty beefy shoulders too, but it still hurts like hell. I tried the clean grip but it was killing my wrists so I've been using the crossover grip.

Any advice?

Guest YEAHMANWORD

Just ordered this rack from bestbuyfitness.com. Cost 450 total. Comes standard w/ the chin-up attachment & dip attachment. It's for the gym at my job. Using it to replace a flat bench, incline bench, chin up bar & dip stand. We have a portable incline & flat bench to use for the rack. Next purchase is a decline bench. It's basically to save space...and we also have no place to do squats.

20102152150548430.jpg

*forgot to add no shipping and no tax. Was looking at the exact same rack in yellow at Dick's Sporting goods. It was 449 +100 shipping.

so my homie came to work out with me at the gym a couple nights ago, and we did legs....squats, lunges, leg curls, leg extensions, leg press, etc etc etc.

last night at the club, i was dancing with this girl and could hardly stand up.

hes pretty knowledgeable on biochemistry of nutrition and knows a lot about supplements and form when it comes to lifting....he knows a lot more than the personal trainers at my gym.

he broke down how creatine works in the body...really interesting.

im trying to get him to sign up for 12oz, so he can drop some insight into this thread.

It's probably been brought up before but I'm to lazy to check.

I'm planning on starting p90x and I hear good things but that it's a tough work out. I've been working our for about a month or two and I been getting in better shape but any advice on people who have tried it?

Also nutrition advice what I could eat and drink to have energy through out the day and my work outs. I've already read to eat every 2-3 hours to keep metabolism up. My goals are to get a little bigger as in muscle and get more defined or ripped if you will.

Thanks for the help/advice. If I do pull through I'll stay updated on progress.

PS. Anyone know a good place to get some good dumbbells that will do the job? Preferrably the ones you can change and choose the amount of weight you'd like. Something not very expensive but that aren't bad quality.

It's probably been brought up before but I'm to lazy to check.

I'm planning on starting p90x and I hear good things but that it's a tough work out. I've been working our for about a month or two and I been getting in better shape but any advice on people who have tried it?

Also nutrition advice what I could eat and drink to have energy through out the day and my work outs. I've already read to eat every 2-3 hours to keep metabolism up. My goals are to get a little bigger as in muscle and get more defined or ripped if you will.

Thanks for the help/advice. If I do pull through I'll stay updated on progress.

PS. Anyone know a good place to get some good dumbbells that will do the job? Preferrably the ones you can change and choose the amount of weight you'd like. Something not very expensive but that aren't bad quality.

I'm curious about P90X. I hear it takes willpower more than anything else.

For nutrition and other things, check this guy's site out:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

His youtube channel is also worth looking at. Although the guy is goofy he knows

what he's talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#g/u

I seem to have pulled a muscle in the rib area, intercostal. It hurts like hell, sometimes like an icepick sticking in my ribs. Have any of you suffered a similar injury? How long does it take to heal? How did you heal it? Coughing or sneezing is incredibly painful, and at the same time, what exercises were you able to do if any?

front squats with any real weight are gonna hurt. you'll get some what used to it.

For sure, I figured it'll get better it's just annoying to not really get a leg workout from them. And it affects the next time I hit bench, which is a pain.

I'm curious about creatine as well, although I don't think I'll ever use the stuff. I stick to whey protein.