Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
podrido

the un official workout thread

Yeah I know exactly who you're taking about. Same shit with leg presses. Or the dudes who don't touch the bar against their Chest on bench press.

The other day I saw someone dead lifting with the worst fucking form ever. I actually spoke with him for a few. Told him I ain't trying to tell him how I lift but that he was going to hurt himself if he kept doing t that way. Arching his back and stretching his neck all the way back I was like WTF

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a homie of mine has been getting into lifting, and he's always been kind of a fat dude, especially within the past couple years. He is slimming down for sure, through dieting and getting to the gym but he's still in that beginner lifting phase where he doesn't really know what the fuck he's doing. He gets way too stoked on wrist curls and useless bullshit like that, at least for a beginner.

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with him at his gym to run him through some basic exercises and show him form and what not. I haven't been to the gym consistently in months, not to mention even stepped foot in my gym in over a month now, so I feel pretty outta practice. But, I feel like i gotta show him the ropes. hopefully this will get me into the swing of things again.

The only bad thing about people like your friend being in the gym doing bullshit like wrist curls aside from wasting his own time is that people like that get in the fucking way.

If he doesn't already have it, do us all a favor and be sure to teach that nig gym etiquette.

Then make him do shit that counts.

If he doesn't already have it, do us all a favor and be sure to teach that nig gym etiquette.

this!

they should make everyone take a mandatory gym etiquette class when they first sign up at a gym...rerack your weights, wipe down machines, try to limit your time on benches, squat racks etc by not doing 30 sets or supersetting with equipment on the other side of the gym etc etc

on Monday I had to wait 25 minutes for a flat bench to open up...one had this huge brotha supersetting with like 4 other workouts and just left his shit on the bench...the other had 2 fat hmong dudes doing like 15 sets each..the third bench was 2 scrawny high school kids benching with 2 10's on each side but alternating back and forth until failure.:(

kinda hard to work through when u go to a ghetto ass gym with no gym etiquette...i miss my old gym, but cant afford it anymore so now I just go to this ghetto gym with gang members on this inside and hookers working the parking lot outside.

/end rant lol

I had to wait for this dude doing endless sets on the leg press with 2 inch range of motion thinking he was actually doing something for his legs. I can't get mad at most of the retards at my gym tho because they are all so chipper and polite.

I had to wait for this dude doing endless sets on the leg press with 2 inch range of motion thinking he was actually doing something for his legs. I can't get mad at most of the retards at my gym tho because they are all so chipper and polite.

i know exactly what you mean.

same thing what CALI said about waiting for benches and squat racks. A lot of the time you see people just wandering around waiting for that person to leave.

I just hit them up between sets, ask them how many more. Sometimes i just jump in rotation and end up getting a spotter. met some cool people doing that too.

Yeah, I work in wherever possible, but dear god it's frustrating dealing with these superset warriors and shadowboxing mma retards.

A lot of the time you see people just wandering around waiting for that person to leave.

i was wandering...it sucks too when they pull out there phone and get on it between sets...but i cant call them on it...they might not be texting..they might be changing their music, looking up form, or using a fitness app...i use my ipod touch to keep track of weight/reps/sets.

If someone is doing something I don't consider to be bullshit I don't even get annoyed that they are occupying shit I want to use.

Heavy loads or widowmaker sets could leave someone needing 5+ minutes between sets sometimes.

LOL, I'm constantly changing music on my Ipod between sets.

That doesn't bother me.

THINGS I DON'T CONSIDER TO BE BULLSHIT: Anything programmed with a clear cut goal and within fair use standards of the equipment being occupied.

THINGS I CONSIDER TO BE BULLSHIT: MMA punching bullshit with dumbbells, bands or cable resistance, etc...

Fucking co-siiiiiign. I used to see this smelly guy around the gym that was about my age (young) and he would load up hella weight on EVERY SINGLE FUCKING LIFT and srsly almost injure himself EVERY SET. I'm not even exaggerating, I've seen him get stuck under the bench press multiple times and it's kind of funny actually because he's a dumb guy. But anyway, I was doing heavy squats in the power rack, and he's on the goddamn smith machine next to me changing weights, and in the middle of my set, he fucking bumps into the barbell as it's on my goddamn back, knocking me off balance with all this weight (well, at least in regards to my strength.) Dumb. Ass. No. Gym. Etiquette. Having. Motherfucker. I hated that guy. First time I've thought about him in a while!

Also, he would load up a bunch of plates on bench, sitting overhead press station, and smith machine for squats, and NEVER go full range of motion, ALWAYS almost killed himself, and again, NEVER re racked the plates he would not lift in the first place. His row form was uncanny, arched backs all the way brah. Anyway, done talking shit about a guy I don't know at the gym.

• Like 1

^haha...i hate when gyms have the equipment too close also..but it makes it worse when idiots like that guy can cause injury to others from not being careful.

230 at New Years

194 today

Feels good man.

My building has a pool so I was doing that for a while. I ate a lot but also did a shit load of coke these past two years. Been clean since Valentine's Day but I also fell off the swimming since then.

There is a gym here but all it has is machines and dumbells and medicine balls. I figure it's good for now because I'm just getting back into the everyday gym thing, but how useful would you guys say cable machines are?

I have gained 20 pounds in the past month but that was from being underweight to what my normal weight should be (185).

Refatdless, it's awesome. I walk in, turn the TV to NHL or Blue Jays and go crazy intense for 40 minutes a night. No breaks.

Btw, i'm pretty disappointed at some folks i know. Just one example, my buddy who is a fast runner, good hockey player, and pretty much any sport he picks up. Kinda was inspired by him to get the fuck back into shape

Turns out he on the roids.

Cable machines are good.

Just progressively overload the movements and you will get stronger/bigger.

The stigma attached to steroids is lame.

It still takes hard work and good programming to get the most out of them.

They should be legal.

Overload as in do the motions really well? Go hard on the negatives and such?

I'll believe you on the steroids front. Obviously we all know about the medical uses for it. I just think using drugs for the sake of vanity muscles is strange.

Progressive overload = add weight, reps, or sets to whatever you did last workout.

Do at least one more rep than you did the previous session or you are spinning your wheels.

It's not always vanity.

Most professional level athletes are on steroids and competing at that level without them is almost impossible.

Talent and genes are great, but when you are competing with lots of other talented and genetically blessed dudes for million dollar contracts, the one who has an added edge is gonna win.

Plus the whole transhumanism, breaking boundaries in human performance, etc...

Let the people supplement as much as they want.

They're already doing it anyway.

Gotcha man, thanks. Been doing that. Considering i've gained 30 lbs since February, it can't all be diet. Now if only I could do something about my love handles.

Btw, cartilage, marrow, and animal fat ftw.

the only problem i see is that he was facing the wrong way on the bench.

other than that, benching like that adds more core work to the lift.

i will sometimes do that on warm up sets with 45s on each side.

A properly braced and arched bench press already works your entire body including core muscles though.

That whole mentality of getting extra core/pec work out of benching with your feet up in the air is a lil short sighted.

I mean, you are trying to move the max amount of weight with good form and overload your upper body pushing muscles.

Why limit that by hoping to get some perceived ab side effects by raising your feet in the air with lighter bench weight when you could just overload the shit out of bench and then do some extra ab shit and progress on both moves with proper intensity?

It's like using lower weight on squats so you can add a calf raise at the top of the move to get extra calf gains.

I've been lurking this thread for a bit now and just recently started working out again after 15+ years. I was taking a power circuit course that included some light cross fit type routines mixed with dead lifts, squats and power cleans. I am also taking some pre-med courses and have been learning about the physiological mechanisms of nutrient uptake and excretion. My question for you fellas is do you do your own research on what supplements to take pre/post workout, or do you just trust the label that what they are giving you is in the right combination to what you need?

I hear all types of conflicting talk about what is right and what is wrong, and when to take this or that.

Also have any of you heard of Onnit? I only know of it from listening to Joe Rogan's Podcasts.

Your thoughts are appreciated....

A properly braced and arched bench press already works your entire body including core muscles though.

That whole mentality of getting extra core/pec work out of benching with your feet up in the air is a lil short sighted.

I mean, you are trying to move the max amount of weight with good form and overload your upper body pushing muscles.

Why limit that by hoping to get some perceived ab side effects by raising your feet in the air with lighter bench weight when you could just overload the shit out of bench and then do some extra ab shit and progress on both moves with proper intensity?

It's like using lower weight on squats so you can add a calf raise at the top of the move to get extra calf gains.

yeah, i get your point. but i only to do it for warm up sets since im only lifting at between 60-80% of working weight anyways. for the next three sets, i use proper form with feet on the floor and go heavy. if i decide to do last set with light weights until failure, i lift my feet again (i actually just put both feet up on the bench itself). i have noticed that lifting feet into air makes me work harder to stabilize myself on the bench, and it makes me focus more on pushing up equally with both arms rather than have the bar tilt down towards the weaker arm which i see all the time at my gym with people trying to go heavier than they can actually handle.

here's another explanation i found:

By placing the legs on the bench, you push the pelvis back into it's neutral position (posterior pelvic tilt). It's the safest approach, and is generally used to PROTECT a client's back. It engages the abdominals as well as the transverse abdominis and teaches proper posture.

My question for you fellas is do you do your own research on what supplements to take pre/post workout, or do you just trust the label that what they are giving you is in the right combination to what you need?

I usually do a bit of both. Do my own research and then look at a bunch of supps and see which one has what im looking for in it..an example of this would be that there are several types of creatine (different forms), but if say i wanted a supplement that contained more than just one form of creatine, i would get an intraworkout like gaspari's sizeon...it has creatine monohydrate, magnesium creatine chelate, and disodium creatine phosphate in it. What pre-med classes you taking?