the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
going back to the gym

this is what my routine looks like

day1 -

squat

bench press

bent row

dips

day 2

squat

deadlift

over head press

pullups

dips

twice a week 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps

i basically do the same moves but i gotta spread my routine out a bit over a few more days than just two

For chest usually bench, flies, and then standing cable pulls.

For arms I'm doing a downward cable pull (triceps) preacher curls and pull ups (biceps) and a forearm curl.

For back I usually do deadlifts, bent-over row, and seated row.

For legs I'm doing leg press, extensions, standing calve raise, and a leg curl.

And for shoulders I do shrugs and a dumbell press.

For most of these I'm doing 3 sets of 10, I switch it up sometimes though.

That all looks good too me, I'd do 5 sets of each, but that's just me. And don't stop at 10 if its not a struggle. Your last set should be 15-20 reps of lower weight, but your second-to-last set should be your heaviest weight of around 6 reps. But like I said, that's just how I do it. You'll hear a million different things.

Go to Vitamin world or GNC or even walmart and get some whey protein and fish oil. Get in the habit of drinking two scoops of whey right after you work out, one scoop when you wake up and one before you go to bed. Start eating more meat. Switch to whole grain breads and pasta (NOT wheat). And get some multivitamins.

Switch out your leg press to squats, you'll hate them at first but you'll get a lot more out of them and you'll have to lower your weight when you switch. Look up Rippetoe squats on youtube for good form. Don't rely so much on machines.

AOD.. whats your opinion of squats on the smith machine?

they be teh suckz

seriously though. i used to do them a lot because i was a pussy and was scared i was gonna drop the weight doing free weight squats. i ended up hurting my back pretty good and the upper part of my right knee, because you cant get any resemblance of proper form with a smith machine. after taking a little time off and using a barbell, going to parallel, wide stance with hip drive and my ass as far back as i can get it.... i've never had a problem with injuries. (yet. *knock on wood) i think box squats are what helped me the most.

dave tate of elite fts/old power lifter ala west side barbell calls the smith machine the most dangerous piece of equipment in the gym. im sure he knows what he is talking about.

all this aside, i do sometimes bench on a smith machine because there are only 2 bench press stations (3 smith machines though) at my gym and sometimes the benches are filled up with guys doing quarter bench presses with 95 lbs with their legs up in the air

That all looks good too me, I'd do 5 sets of each, but that's just me. And don't stop at 10 if its not a struggle. Your last set should be 15-20 reps of lower weight, but your second-to-last set should be your heaviest weight of around 6 reps. But like I said, that's just how I do it. You'll hear a million different things.

Go to Vitamin world or GNC or even walmart and get some whey protein and fish oil. Get in the habit of drinking two scoops of whey right after you work out, one scoop when you wake up and one before you go to bed. Start eating more meat. Switch to whole grain breads and pasta (NOT wheat). And get some multivitamins.

Switch out your leg press to squats, you'll hate them at first but you'll get a lot more out of them and you'll have to lower your weight when you switch. Look up Rippetoe squats on youtube for good form. Don't rely so much on machines.

I've been taking this for 3-4 months now, 2 1/2 scoops after I'm done working out.

EAS-powder-vanilla.jpg

I've done squats before, but like you said above I was doing them on a smith machine so I didn't get very good form and just kindof stopped doing them.

smith machine gives you perfect form, as long as you compensate for the bar having zero weight do your squats on the smith. then once you are comfortable with your form try it with the regular 45lb bar in front of a mirror.

A Smith Machine actually gives you the opposite of perfect form, as it fixes you into one, unnatural plane of movement.