the un official workout thread

podrido

I've been talking to a friends cousin who spent some time in prison.

Really good guy, just caught up in some bullshit. He's been schooling

me on prison style workouts.

Only thing I find odd is that he told me 6 days a week is the way to do it.

That is way off base from what most of the material I've read/watched says.

P.S.:

These do look intense,

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I've been talking to a friends cousin who spent some time in prison.

Really good guy, just caught up in some bullshit. He's been schooling

me on prison style workouts.

Only thing I find odd is that he told me 6 days a week is the way to do it.

That is way off base from what most of the material I've read/watched says.

"Prison style" workouts rarely include additional weight. It's easy for your body to recover in a short period of time when you're doing calisthenics, which is what allows Olympic gymnasts to train 5x a week for 5hrs a day (the amount of steroids they're likely on aside).

It takes an additional load to really break down your muscle fibers to the point where they need ~48hrs to recuperate. There's no way you could possibly keep up a schedule of the same workout, 6x a week with weights. Even on juice.

i just re-upped my gym membership. This is round 2.

Last time i got my fitness on I had a big gut and no upper

body or arm muscle. I was a wreck. So i it the cardio pretty

hard and did some weight training and flattened my stomach

and put a little tone up top and in my arms and back.

Now im getting a bit pudgy in the middle again. Been slacking

I plan to the the cardio thing again. Burn calories but focusing

more energy on the weights. Way i see it i have some muscle

up top. On the weights im not starting at 0. I have body mass

that needs to be repositioned

"Prison style" workouts rarely include additional weight. It's easy for your body to recover in a short period of time when you're doing calisthenics, which is what allows Olympic gymnasts to train 5x a week for 5hrs a day (the amount of steroids they're likely on aside).

It takes an additional load to really break down your muscle fibers to the point where they need ~48hrs to recuperate. There's no way you could possibly keep up a schedule of the same workout, 6x a week with weights. Even on juice.

Yeah, this is what made me think it was odd. It makes sense, though. All burpee's and

bodyweight exercises. Burpee's aren't bad, but I don't want to rely on them for strength training.

One thing I do have to stick with, at least for a while is bodyweight squats. Metal in my left

leg from a break a long time ago. Never had it removed....my fault. Too late now.

I'll try the skull crushes with the bar. Should be fun.

i was hoping maybe someone could help me to understand something

in possibly a medical way.

I was stressed out... had a job that was fucking me up and was going

to the gym all the time. This is when i melted down and started taking

alot of xanax.

Anyhow. I lost the job and stopped going to the gym. Stopped taking the

stickbats and everything calmed down

When i was in the mix i thought that working out all the time was helping me

in some way. Helping me to burn off the tension and anxiety

Fast forward to today. I went to the gym... didn't overdo it. Took a swim and

sat in the sauna for a minute and now I'm feeling the same type of anxiety that

i had a few months ago.

It seems kinda like the exercise is the cause of the anxiety. How can this be?

In trying to answer my own question... i kno that when you work out your brain

releases chemicals. serotonin and the like. Could it be that I don't have a chemical

imbalance per say unless i engage in strenuous activity? I'm thinking this is the case.

My question is what can i do to remedy the situation.... short of not working out?

I want to be in shape but i don't need the anxiety.

Anybody else have this problem?

alot of xanax.

i had a few months ago.

releases chemicals. serotonin and the like. Could it be that I don't have a chemical

imbalance per say unless i engage in strenuous activity? I'm thinking this is the case.

My question is what can i do to remedy the situation.... short of not working out?

Are you getting enough sunlight? I know it sounds silly, but this could be a major issue.

alot of xanax.

i had a few months ago.

you should probably speak to a doctor about this. I've never heard of average level exercise causing anxiety. Seek medical advise.... then start boxing or kick boxing. Best form of exercise.

anyone fuck with kettlebells? I bought some a couple months ago and have just been toying around with them; mostly swings and turkish get-ups... really just curious if I'm the only one

I have been using them now for the last two months and I'm pretty much hooked on them. Been doing a basic routine, really...

Warm Up:

Lot's of medicine ball stuff... push & press, lunges, sweeps, side lunges, squats, around the worlds... all kinds of stuff - 2X

Kettlebells: 2X

Farmers walk - 1 minute each side

Halo - 10 each direction

Two hand swing - 1 minute

Goblet Squat - 1 minute

One hand swing - 1 minute each side

Goblet squat - 1 minute

Press - 1 minute left

Alternating swing - 1 minute

Press - 1 minute right

Alternating swing - 1 minute

Then follow it up with a 'pyramid' cool down:

Push ups - bent over row - pull up. Start by doing one of each, then two of each, then three, then four, then three, then two and finally one.

It's been a nice change from the machines and free weights at the gym. Wanting to get a few for the house to have when I don't have time to get to the gym but they're expensive.

• 5 weeks later...

So I worked my back yesterday (deadlifts, pull ups, shrugs) and today was going to be my leg day, but my hamstrings are sore as hell from the DL's so should i go ahead and do my hack squats and what not anyways? or switch to my arms and chest for today? And whats a good day throw in some ab workouts?

Also I've noticed taking a 3-4 day break once in awhile really helps recharge my muscles.

I think I need to break up my workouts differently... but I dont know how

Right now I work out my back (DL's, pull-ups/lat pulldown, shrugs) then day 2 (hack squat or just squats, standing calf raise, quad extension) then day 3 (bench, dumbell/barbell curl, tricep pressdown, arnold shoulder press)

So its pretty much Back, legs, then chest/arms.

Which works fine but I've been told when I do pullups i should do curls the same day too and I feel the deadlifts work my legs more than my back.

SO... any suggestions?

Do biceps after your back exercises, and triceps after chest. When you hit back you also work your biceps, so doing some curls afterward breaks em down even more. Same reasoning goes for chest/triceps.

Deadlifts work your legs quite a bit, so when I do them I usually cut the squats out of my leg workout the next day. You could try doing rows instead sometimes, that will leave your legs fresh. Bent-over barbell rows and T-bar rows are good.

In general you want to vary the exercises you do quite a bit. If you do the same stuff every time you will plateau much quicker. Also, do some abs every day.

^this.

i started a guilty stoner work out plan a few months ago for myself. while sitting around feeling worthless and stoned, i hit the floor and started doing 20 pushups a set, flip on my back, and do 30 sit-ups. it slowly became pretty addictive, now i try to do pull-ups, dips, pushups, sit-ups,

ab-stabilization, and get out for a run everyday, but it doesn't always work.

Anything wrong with this^? I just don't wanna hurt myself while I'm trying to help myself? Any suggestions? Thanks y'all.

I think I need to break up my workouts differently... but I dont know how

Right now I work out my back (DL's, pull-ups/lat pulldown, shrugs) then day 2 (hack squat or just squats, standing calf raise, quad extension) then day 3 (bench, dumbell/barbell curl, tricep pressdown, arnold shoulder press)

So its pretty much Back, legs, then chest/arms.

Which works fine but I've been told when I do pullups i should do curls the same day too and I feel the deadlifts work my legs more than my back.

SO... any suggestions?

just follow this:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

there is also 2 other variations to this program.

use these as a template if you want to try something different.

these west side style templates changed the way i work out.

start thinking about 'bench day' or 'squat day' instead of 'chest day' and 'arm day.'

basically on this style program you hit your upper and lower body twice a week. one heavy day (max effort) and one light/speed (dynamic or repetition) day.

you train the lift hard, then train the muscles that support the lift.

bench day... do some variation of the bench press, max effort. then usually a 'supplemental' exercise then you do accessory work for tri's, lats/upper back, biceps. squat day, you do a squat variation, then accessory work. things like glute ham raises, reverse hypers, hypers, fast partial romanian deads, pull throughs... and abs.

then comes speed day or repetition day. pick one. max reps on bench with light weight. or speed sets. 8 sets of 3 with 50% of one rep max. i dont consider myself with a big enough bench to benefit enough from speed days, but i do them occasionally but usually do repetition days. i usually go heavy on military/overhead press on this day.

for speed lower day i do 8 sets of 2 50-60% one rep max box squats. then do a dead lift or dead lift variation, heavy. rack pulls or dead lifts while standing on a plate or two. then do accessory work.

i always add in conditioning of some kind, jump rope, sled dragging, a couple times a week.

i also throw in '50's' during the week. 50 chin ups or dips, etc.

the basic theory behind the westside strength routine is train the lift without actually doing the lift (floor press, board press, incline press, rack lockouts, etc instead of actual flat bench... or box squat, good mornings instead of squats. rack pulls and pulls from a platform instead of from the floor dead lifts) and concentrating on your weak points. (like hams in your squat if they are weak, etc)

the defranco template adds in some body building accessory work which helps build mass, so you get the best of both worlds.

i took the last 2 weeks off of going to the gym. i guess for the holidays.

i'm dreading going back with all the new years resolution people around..

i also need to change my work out's a bit. been sticking too a basic plan.

day 1 -tri's and chest

day 2 - back and bi's

day 3 - shoulders and legs

i throw in abs one of those days and am getting back into cardio this month.

i thought about doing different things all year, but never changed it up...the time is now.

Yeah, I knowe its cliche as fuck but one of my resolutions is to get back into fighting shape

Anyone have nay good at home stuff to start with? espcially Ab workouts?

The burpee challenge. Google it.

I'm about to go buy a tube and some pea gravel and make a bulgarian training bag.

Looks too fun not to.

Also looking into rope climbing.

im usually in the gym 4 days a week for 2 hours a day. been slaking latly but i do some free weights, lots of straight bar stuff, some kickboxing, some spin, lots of pushups.

im in pretty good shape id say. i watch what i eat too but i can enjoy food cuz i upped my metab so much i can do that.

its hard but you have to stick to it. the results are worth it