the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doing cardio and counting calories..

i have dropped 20lbs in the last month...

i am at 6'4" 275lbs and I want to get down to 260 or 250..

I am repping 225 x 10 right now....tryin to hit the gym at least 5 times a week

20 lbs? Dude, thats awesome. Good work, props.

• 3 months later...

im about to start working out again i would like to lose like 10 pounds but also build up muscle, what should i do as far as basic foods and work outs?? i have a tread mill and a weight bench and some dumb bells. any info would help and how much cardio is good i dont want to run a marathon just be in shape or lose some belly fat cuz everything else is okay wit me. thanks and props for info

drop the boring static long periods of cardio. i cant stand it. i've focused mainly on 'conditioning' work. sled dragging, jump rope, keg work, some cross fit kind of stuff and barbell 'complexes' for most of my 'cardio.' way better results. when i do get on a tread mill or stair type machine, i do HIIT. something like a 4 min moderate warm up. 30 sec balls out, 30 second moderate, 30 seconds balls out, etc for a total of 10-15 min.

i've enjoyed strength based routines over those stupid weight lifting magazine splits. i've had at least twice the results in twice the time on these programs than doing 'body building' programs. no more 'arm' days for me.

check programs like joe defranco's west side for skinny bastards. its basically a strength routine with a little more volume than a typical west side template. i've been doing the WS4SB III routine for 2 weeks now and its killer. best workouts i've had this year. im pushing more weight than ever and getting bigger faster than previous routines.

anything you decide to do... stick with mainly compound movements... squat, dead lift, bench, push ups, chin ups and all their variations. i know this is a more power lifting sort of mindset, but once i started trying to push more weight in the big three lifts, squat, bench and dead lift, and worked to train specifically those lifts, i got big. in another words i dont have a 'chest and tris' day. i have a bench press day. i dont have a 'leg' day, i have a squat day... etc.

foods...

cut out sugar and most white carbs. concentrate on atleast your body weight in grams of protein per day. chicken, eggs, fish, lean meats, yogurt (with no added sugar or flavoring). oatmeal, rice, potatoes, pasta etc for your carbs. eat 5 times a day. just google a generic 'weight lifting' diet.

its really an impossibility or really hard to gain alot of muscle and lose a lot of fat at the same time. pick your poison. to gain, you need atleast 500 more per day in calories than you eat now, if you are staying a constant weight at present. to lose weight, you'll need 500 less calories a day.

if you are 150, gain weight. if you are 250 and fat, lose weight. if you are small as it is, if you cut fat off you'll be a stick with no muscle. if you are pudgy now, if you bulk up, you'll have a serious cut ahead of your if you want to lose fat....

• Like 1

Ok 12oontzers

Heres the situation

Ive got 3-4 days a week fo gym access

Im already in decent shape, but im trying to get big

Anyone have an suggestions for a good routine for 3-4 times a week

Im focusing on abs and arms as well as strength.

And im trying to cut down on the shit I eat but I dont see myelf getting into muscle milk type shit

all those programs are good, starting strength, 5x5, west side template and variants, etc... all good.

i think you'll get better results off of these things than with 'arm and ab' days

and dont forget to eat!

also, protein powders are the cheapest, most convenient way to cram all that protein down in your stomach. might want to think about drinking it

my workout looks like this...

day 1 - legs/shoulders

squat super sett'd with barbell front shoulder raises. squats is 5x8, everything else is 3x12

calf raises super sett'd with dumbell shoulder press

quad again either leg press or seated raise super sett'd with upright rows

hamstring curls super sett'd with rear deltoid lats

day 2 - chest/tricep

dumbell chest press super sett'd with bench assisted dips

incline dumbell chest press super sett'd with cable pulldowns

skullcrushers super sett'd with dumbell pullovers

dumbell chest fly's

day 3 - back/bicep

seated lat rows with standing barbell curl

lat pull downs with seated preacher curl

lower back extensions

seated pulldowns w/ machine

its really an impossibility or really hard to gain alot of muscle and lose a lot of fat at the same time. pick your poison. to gain, you need atleast 500 more per day in calories than you eat now, if you are staying a constant weight at present. to lose weight, you'll need 500 less calories a day.

if you are 150, gain weight. if you are 250 and fat, lose weight. if you are small as it is, if you cut fat off you'll be a stick with no muscle. if you are pudgy now, if you bulk up, you'll have a serious cut ahead of your if you want to lose fat....

I'm trying to lose about 20 pounds, but I've already built a lot of muscle over the last few years. What would you recommend for losing weight while making smaller strength gains or at least maintaining strength? I just started doing 30 minutes of on/off sprints on the stationary bike to replace some lighter riding I was doing after I lift, as well as eating oatmeal for breakfast 4 or 5 days a week and eating a bit less in general. What else can I do?

• Like 1

I'm trying to lose about 20 pounds, but I've already built a lot of muscle over the last few years. What would you recommend for losing weight while making smaller strength gains or at least maintaining strength? I just started doing 30 minutes of on/off sprints on the stationary bike to replace some lighter riding I was doing after I lift, as well as eating oatmeal for breakfast 4 or 5 days a week and eating a bit less in general. What else can I do?

What are you trying to lose the 20lbs for?

If it's just for appearance, then you may not necessarily have to lose the full 20lb. Worry more about how you look in the mirror, not what the scale says.

If you're losing weight to be competitive in a sport, then it's all about diet and cardio (HIIT). Diet entails more than just eating oatmeal for breakfast and generally eating less, however. And cardio is much more beneficial if you're running than if you're on a stationairy bike.

day 3 - back/bicep

seated lat rows with standing barbell curl

lat pull downs with seated preacher curl

lower back extensions

seated pulldowns w/ machine

you should throw some deadlifts into day 3

anyone fuck with kettlebells? I bought some a couple months ago and have just been toying around with them; mostly swings and turkish get-ups... really just curious if I'm the only one

What are you trying to lose the 20lbs for?

If it's just for appearance, then you may not necessarily have to lose the full 20lb. Worry more about how you look in the mirror, not what the scale says.

If you're losing weight to be competitive in a sport, then it's all about diet and cardio (HIIT). Diet entails more than just eating oatmeal for breakfast and generally eating less, however. And cardio is much more beneficial if you're running than if you're on a stationairy bike.

Well I gained about 20-25lbs two winters ago, I kind of stopped getting much exercise because I had a shoulder injury and I was living in a much colder climate and couldn't really get outside. Before that, I weighed about 205-10 (I'm 6'2) and I was almost as strong as I am now. I really only got back on track with the way I used to work out around last april/may, but my weight hasn't changed at all. Of course, I did put on a lot of muscle.

Right now I'm a little over 230 and I figure I have maybe 5 lbs of muscle on my former self, so losing about 20 pounds or possibly putting on more muscle and losing a bit less total weight is what I want to do. You're right that I don't necessarily need to lose 20, that was just an estimate, but I know I want to lose some and get more cut. I don't play sports but I have been lifting for about 7 years and I'm not experienced with losing weight when I'm already in pretty good shape. I assumed it would come off more easily once I started lifting/biking again.

I started using the stationary bike because I was mountain biking all summer and now it's getting colder/darker earlier and I can't fucking stand running on a treadmill. I go pretty hard on the stationary bike anyway.

As far as diet goes my major vices are binge drinking large amounts of beer on the weekends, eating big dinners, and chips and salsa. Other than that I eat reasonably healthy things, and I supplement with around 30-40g of whey protein every day I lift. Bro story, cool.

I was just looking for a new angle. If you maintain a calorie deficit but still eat a high-protein diet, will that help you burn fat and continue to build or at least maintain muscle?

i try not to get to technical with things.

if you cut out the binge drinking, (if you do it a couple times a week) you'll probably shed alot of that weight just by doing that.

if you add in hiit cardio, you'll be on track to lose weight. get your X amount of protein you need per meal. i've had good luck with cutting in the past simply by getting my protein in with my meal, eating complex carbs for breakfast (say 50-60g) and the same complex carb amount (50-60 grams for dinner) with all meals in between just meat/protein and vegetables of some kind. i know that if i was eating twice ( or more ) carbs when i was bulking, if i cut back to half or below, i'll be losing weight.

what has been really successful for me in the past is a 'carb cycling' diet to cut. i've atleast kept my strength if not went up slowly on weight on some lifts on this type of diet. but i also have shed weight fast. to sum it up... you basically get 2-3 days of no carbs at all per week. 1-2 high carb day (basically as many as you want as long as they are good carbs, you dont want to eat a dozen KFC biscuits) and 1 or 2 'low carb' (under 150)

i love this set up because i really love to eat carbs.

if you are trying to keep strength up defranco's west side for skinny bastards is great. (all variations)

Thanks man. Carb cycling sounds pretty good, I've also heard cutting carbs out of the later half of the day is good too, since you tend to burn off everything you eat earlier. I'm gonna try some of what you recommended though.

You're right that if I stopped drinking I'd probably shed a bunch of weight, but that's just how I get down. I have cut down since the days when I was gaining weight though. I also used to drink more liquor to cut calories because I tend to put away a lot of beer, but that's a whole different beast. Isn't liquor pretty high calorie too? Chased not mixed. Usually when I get to the liquor store I just say fuck it and pick up a few 40s or a pack anyway.

i dont drink at all, but i would think you would be better off drinking liquor because you would need a whole lot less to get bent than if you were drinking beers. but im not really experienced in this area.

you'd probably see good results if you limited all that beer to once a week.

a friend of mine's brother competes or used to compete in body building contests. he was down to probably 5-6% body fat and drank just like you are describing every friday or saturday night. but the rest of the week he weighed everything on a food scale. he drank once a week and had a huge cheat meal.