the un official workout thread

podrido

what besides tuna? i can't stand fuckin tuna unless it's sushi.

1-2 Gallons of Water a day

Protein

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast

Tuna (water packed)

Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut, sushi, mahi mahi, Orange roughi, tilapia, Sardines)

Shrimp

Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)

Venison

Buffalo

Ostrich

Protein Powder (Whey, Casein, Soy, Egg)

Eggs

Low or Non-Fat Cottage cheese, Ricotta

Low fat or Non fat Yogurt

Ribeye Steaks or Roast

Top Round Steaks or Roast (stew meat, London broil, Stir fry)

Top Sirloin (Sirloin Top Butt)

Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon)

Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)

Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajitas)

Eye of Round (Cube meat, Stew meat, Bottom Round)

Ground Turkey, Turkey Breast slices or cutlets (*no deli or sandwich meats)

Complex Carbs (nothing enriched, bleached or processed if possible)

Oatmeal (Old fashioned, Quick oats, Irish steal cut)

Sweet Potatoes, Yams

Beans (Black eyed, Pinto, Red, Kidney, Black)

Oat Bran Cereal, Grape nuts, Rye cereal, Multi grain hot cereal

Farin (Cream of wheat)

Whole Wheat frozen Bagels, Pitas

Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta, Whey Pasta

Rice (Brown, white, jasmin, basmiti, arborio, wild)

Potatoes (red, white, baking)

Fibrous Carbs

Green Leafy lettuce (red, green, romaine)

Broccoli

Asparagus

String Beans

Spinach

Bell Pepers (Green or Red)

Brussels Sprouts

Cauliflower

Cabbage

Celery

Cucumber

Carrots

Eggplant

Onions

Pumpkin

Garlic

Tomatoes

Zucchini

Fruit (If acceptable on diet)

bananas, oranges, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

Healthy Fats

Natural Style Peanut Butter

Olive oil, Safflower oil

Flaxseed oil

Fish Oil

Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)

Dairy

Eggs

Low of Non-Fat cottage cheese, Ricotta

Low or non-fat milk

Low fat or non-fat yogurt

Condiments & Spices

Diet Soda

Crystal light

Fat free mayonaise

Reduced sodium Soy Sauce

Reduced sodium Teriyaki Sauce

balsamic Vinegar

Salsa, Jalepenos

Hot peppers and Hot sauce, Cayanne pepper

Chili powder and Chili paste

Mrs. Dash

Steak Sauce

Sugar free Maple Syrup

Mustard

Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)

Low sodium beef or chicken Broth

Plain or reduced sodium tomatoe sauce or paste

For calories in each food go to http://www.fitday.com

Calorie Counting Formulas:

Mesomorphs: bodyweight x 15

Ectomorphs: bodyweight x 16-17

Endomorphs: bodyweight x 13-14

To start a cut: subtract 500 from total calories, to maintain cut: subtract 200-300 from total calories depending on weight lost each week. If this the first time you are cutting, I would recommend reading the short article posted by St.P. (see attachment below)

To start a bulk: add 500 to total calories, to maintain bulk: add 200-300 to total calories depending on weight gained each week

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

squats are where it's at!

so many people neglect doing them.

i've slacked on the gym lately. i need to make a return soon.

btw:

0671633813.jpg

this is a great book to own!

I bought my Dad a copy of that book just a week and a half ago for his birthday. But the one I bought was the updatd version with a Grey cover.

He had the book in the past but lent it away and it never returned.

It was a good present I think.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
i also dont have like "weight lifting" friends, most of the people i associate with the gym are people i know previously or people ive trained MMA with.

None of them have any drug abuse problems because 80% of the get tested monthly or every three months depending on contract/association rules.

I was about to say, I remembered you do MMA.

How do you fit that in with such a busy workout schedule...You must stay in the gym.

not to back peddle, but there is a muscle milk secret.

dont get it at GNC. they are like 10 bucks for a 4 pack there. if there is a safeway near you, go there. they are 6.99 for 4, but they have them on sale for buy one get one free. i buy them all when they are on sale, then go to the front the next day and get a rain check. im set for like 6 months in a couple trips and you save $$. i dont fool with the powder, it doesnt taste as good as the premixed chocolate.

And as a newbie.. are there any good sites that show examples of many of these types of lifts you guys are doing?

This goes to all newbies, but you made the question, so you'll be the example.

Stick to compound lifts like bench, squats, deadlift, rows, and overhead presses. Really, anything that uses more than 1 muscle in a motion. Compound exercises will build the foundation you need in order to use isolation work effectively. You need something there in order to refine it, right? It kills me to see young kids in gyms hogging up the leg extension machine, or the hamstring curl machine, when their time would be better spent in the squat rack.

Form and control are crucial in lifting, too. Don't go slinging weights around, cause it won't help you. Truly, it'll hurt you first.

A good tip for squatting is to go alllll the way down. Don't stop at parallel. Go beyond parallel, to the point where you're sitting on your calves. You'll have to drastically reduce the amount of weight you can use to squat parallel, but I've found it's done a lot more for me in terms of explosive power and overall leg development.

Slow on the concentric movement (lowering the bar on bench, lowering the bar on squat), and fast on the eccentric movement (lifting the weight up.)

Glik, you ever look into Olympic Lifting? It's done wonders for me for speed, flexibility, and especially back muscle growth, which are all pretty big components of MMA.

I bought my Dad a copy of that book just a week and a half ago for his birthday. But the one I bought was the updatd version with a Grey cover.

He had the book in the past but lent it away and it never returned.

It was a good present I think.

yeah that book (old or new version) is a great reference for anyone at any level.

if anyone has questions about lifting (serious or just for the hell of it) they should pick up a copy of this.

also, there are a ton of great web sites out there that offer tons of info on diet, routines, and supplements.

bodybuilding.com is just one of many sites you can use as a reference:

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

not to back peddle, but there is a muscle milk secret.

dont get it at GNC. they are like 10 bucks for a 4 pack there. if there is a safeway near you, go there. they are 6.99 for 4, but they have them on sale for buy one get one free. i buy them all when they are on sale, then go to the front the next day and get a rain check. im set for like 6 months in a couple trips and you save $$. i dont fool with the powder, it doesnt taste as good as the premixed chocolate.

thanks for that tip!

yeah the pre mixed ones taste great, but for home and if you are on a budget, the powder is the way to go! if you can find farmland skim plus milk, any flavor tastes great mixed with that, and like i said it adds an extra 11 grams of protein per cup.

yeah that book (old or new version) is a great reference for anyone at any level.

if anyone has questions about lifting (serious or just for the hell of it) they should pick up a copy of this.

also, there are a ton of great web sites out there that offer tons of info on diet, routines, and supplements.

bodybuilding.com is just one of many sites you can use as a reference:

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

until you go for your ACE Certification and they cringe when they realize how many people have read that book and treat it like a bible.

i dunno every supplement is suspect and works differently for everyone.

the only amino acid thats ever done anything noticable for me has been glutamine for recovery.

i know for a fact that about 55% of the supplements sold in pill form are complete bullshit and do nothing (co-enzyme Q for example)

if it works for you, then theres no reason to stop regardless of other people's experiences.

until you go for your ACE Certification and they cringe when they realize how many people have read that book and treat it like a bible.

i thought about going for an ACE cert.

did you get one? it seems like a ton of bullshit and just a big scam to make money. but you need the cert. to work anywhere as a trainer.

yeah, i don't live by that book like a bible, it's just a good resource.

i dunno every supplement is suspect and works differently for everyone.

the only amino acid thats ever done anything noticable for me has been glutamine for recovery.

i know for a fact that about 55% of the supplements sold in pill form are complete bullshit and do nothing (co-enzyme Q for example)

if it works for you, then theres no reason to stop regardless of other people's experiences.

i take glutamine with it.

heard it was a good combo to take. seems to work.

glutamine is awesome for recovery.

haven't been worried about it up unti recently, but i am developing some fat on the stomache that i would rather not have there, but i am still bulking. haven't reached the target size yet. i'm slacking on sit-ups.

crunches and cardio.

yeah, but i'm not cutting. i don't want to cut yet.

cardio...ugh. i broke my leg back in '01 and have metal rods in it. can't do alot of that stuff. hell, i'm about to start doing squats and i need to go visit the doc before starting. teh worries

interesting thread i found on eating on a budget (weightlifters)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=92381

glik: what do you think of l-arginine?

been taking it for awhile and i do notice

that when i stop for a week or so, i get less

reps in.

also noticed that when i take it, my veins bulge alot more.

Arginine is a vasodialator. Opens up your veins and provides an extended pump and better nutrient delivery. Essentially, it's useless unless you're taking it with things like creatine and other EAA/BCAA's.

Like Glik said, don't take it in pill form. Buy AAKG powder, consume pre-workout with creatine/protein immediately after workout.

i thought about going for an ACE cert.

did you get one? it seems like a ton of bullshit and just a big scam to make money. but you need the cert. to work anywhere as a trainer.

yeah, i don't live by that book like a bible, it's just a good resource.

nah i have a couple of friends that did it and are always telling me to do it because a lot of gyms dont really have strength training trainers who work there and i could make a good buck.

its obviously worth spending the money for the money youre going to make off it

yeah, but i'm not cutting. i don't want to cut yet.

cardio...ugh. i broke my leg back in '01 and have metal rods in it. can't do alot of that stuff. hell, i'm about to start doing squats and i need to go visit the doc before starting. teh worries

interesting thread i found on eating on a budget (weightlifters)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=92381

oh ok.

oh that sucks! yeah watch that.

good link, thanks.

oh ok.

oh that sucks! yeah watch that.

good link, thanks.

yeah, it fucking sucks like hell. my leg hurts when i walk to fast, much less run.

one thing i did for a recovery is mountain biking. it hurt for a month, but then it got way better. great exercise, too. i may go buy a new bike at some point before summertime.