the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
do squat contests happen on smith machines? (wait, you didnt even know the name of the machine, but anway...) do you see guys squatting any decent weight with their feet shoulder fucking width apart? if your feet are shoulder width apart, you are mostly using your quads.

if you actually think that squatting on a smith machine and on a monolift or squat rack is the same, i just dont know what to tell you. you should just probably stick to yoga.

so lets recap... you didnt even know what a smith machine was called. you think that keeping your legs shoulder with apart is the proper way to squat. you think a bench puts you "90 deg" yet you cant perform a proper depth squat because your knees hurt, most likely from squatting like an idiot asking for injury on a smith machine.

the reason why i know this? because i had knee problems, low back problems and lower quad aches from using a smith machine and listening to guys like you. once i learned proper technique, i havent had an ache in 2-3 years.

lots of olympic lifters and unequipped powerlifters squat with a shoulder width stance. the other day i saw a guy squat 590 for reps with a shoulder width stance and he was supersetting with leg presses too.

wish I could get decent running shoes here. finding size 13s in asia = not happening.

convict conditioning was an interesting read. realistically I don't think I'll be doing 1 arm handstand pushups anytime soon but the exercise progressions are well thought out.

also can we have more pdf posting and less back-and-forth bickering in this thread kthnx

http://bestfatburners.net.nyud.net/Fitness/

An idiot with proper form and technique in every fathomable way. Take that, non-yogaing people.
i did bikram yoga for 5 days straight, shit was crazy. i work in boiler rooms

and in extreme heat at work so the sweat didn't bother me

i signed up for unlimited but it just cost too much, here in dallas it's

like $130 or $180 a month. it was like a year ago so i forget the exact amount

to anyone bashing yoga, try it. you will realize it is harder than you think

and you will also see the fine ass pussy that almost fills the room

weve all tried yoga.

but i interrupt this flame war with a report from the UNCW invitational, 56 teams, 3.1 miles. fuckin crazy. i started in the back of the pack, didnt get passed a single time. ran with a kid ive known and competed against since i was 6, we stayed together the entire race. he tried to leave me but i stuck by him, we picked off a SHITLOAD of kids, demoralized the fuck out of some kids by making a point to sprint up hills, around corners and break through any little clusters of runners instead of going around. spiked this one kid, kinda felt bad because that shit hurts. there was a 450 meter sprint for the finish (thats a LONG fucking sprint) i pass my friend, pass 4 other team mates that ive never passed before(im fairly confident i started sprinting a little early...) and of course when i cross the finish i see this rubber thing covering some electrical cords and i think its the sensor that picks up the magnetic strip on your number so i let off and get passed by my friend, and realize the strip reader is about 10 yards ahead of me.

so i lose to my long time rival by one fucking second.

if i hadnt beat my personal record by a minute 28 id be fucking pissed.

• Like 1

weve all tried yoga.

but i interrupt this flame war with a report from the UNCW invitational, 56 teams, 3.1 miles. fuckin crazy. i started in the back of the pack, didnt get passed a single time. ran with a kid ive known and competed against since i was 6, we stayed together the entire race. he tried to leave me but i stuck by him, we picked off a SHITLOAD of kids, demoralized the fuck out of some kids by making a point to sprint up hills, around corners and break through any little clusters of runners instead of going around. spiked this one kid, kinda felt bad because that shit hurts. there was a 450 meter sprint for the finish (thats a LONG fucking sprint) i pass my friend, pass 4 other team mates that ive never passed before(im fairly confident i started sprinting a little early...) and of course when i cross the finish i see this rubber thing covering some electrical cords and i think its the sensor that picks up the magnetic strip on your number so i let off and get passed by my friend, and realize the strip reader is about 10 yards ahead of me.

so i lose to my long time rival by one fucking second.

if i hadnt beat my personal record by a minute 28 id be fucking pissed.

Congrats, Acer.

AOD: What's your opinion of squatting "naked" (w/o shoes/belt/gloves)?

I joined a Military Science class at my school and I've been waking up at 5 am to do PT's the past two weeks and it's fucking serious! I've never worked out besides rock climbing a bit in high school. I have NO cardio. The first day we did the APFT (test) which is 46 pushups in 2 minutes, 53 situps in 2 minutes, and 2 miles in 16 minutes. Shit was rough.

Since I never worked out or ran before, I didn't think that drinking two cups of coffee before a two mile run would be a bad idea.... I think I did something like 20 minutes. It was awful.

But today on my own I ran 2 miles in 15 minutes, and i'm super fuckin stoked. The only thing is I get crazy stitches in my side about halfway in. Whats up with that?

I joined a Military Science class at my school and I've been waking up at 5 am to do PT's the past two weeks and it's fucking serious! I've never worked out besides rock climbing a bit in high school. I have NO cardio. The first day we did the APFT (test) which is 46 pushups in 2 minutes, 53 situps in 2 minutes, and 2 miles in 16 minutes. Shit was rough.

Since I never worked out or ran before, I didn't think that drinking two cups of coffee before a two mile run would be a bad idea.... I think I did something like 20 minutes. It was awful.

But today on my own I ran 2 miles in 15 minutes, and i'm super fuckin stoked. The only thing is I get crazy stitches in my side about halfway in. Whats up with that?

It happens to beginners in running, you will get over it. You mostly get side stiches from running balls out with no proper work up. I know you are trying to compete with the big dogs but take it down a notch, you will get there. In the mean time drink plenty of water and you will eventually get over it as your cardio imporves

thanks everyone, im on cloud nine hahah. in the past three races ive cut off almost 4 minutes, you can tell im new to racing. im on the level physically just not mentally :lol:

also keepitrail, 15 for 2 miles is a good time, especially for a new runner. coffee wont hurt you. and do NOT over drink, if you arent peeing clear IT IS OKAY. well, maybe not if your running in the desert. but for the longest time id keep my piss clear and when i ran id get terrible sloshing in my stomach and id almost always puke up the water.

its normal to get stiches, just run through it. inhale through your nose and exhale out your mouth as much as possible before during and after any cramps/stiches.

edit: time every run you do your self (dont trust times people tell you when your cross the line) and log it on logarun.com youl be impressed at how much mileage your putting in per week and you can brag about it. also comment on every run, so you can look back on how you felt etc etc

AOD: What's your opinion of squatting "naked" (w/o shoes/belt/gloves)?

i say go for it.

i used to not wear shoes for a long time when dead lifting and squatting... then they yelled at me and told me to put my shoes on. i usually try to keep a belt off until i am at a weight that is about 70-75% of my 1rm. then i throw one on.

that was me.

nike lunarflys.

75 dollars IS cheap if you run more then 15 miles a week, and enjoy a lack of sole and knee pain.

Can anyone tell me if these would make a good all around gym shoe? Squats/ DL's/ sprints etc...

I've never really known what to look for. And I'm not lookin to get seperate shoes for different exercises.

i dont have experience with those shoes but flat soled shoes are recommended for deads/squats. you can just kick your shoes off if you feel like it when doing these moves. most people dont want to spend a ton of money on metal squat shoes and frankly... power lifters probably need these as much as michael jordan needs nike jordans.

the cheapest shoe for serious squat/deads are chucks. cheap. flat soled. your feet wont roll out of the sides of them. and they wont squirm around and 'bounce' in the soles of cross training/whatever shoes. some guys wear wrestling or boxing shoes.

i usually just wear chucks when doing lower days and whatever cross training or running shoe i currently have on upper days/cardio/etc days.

plus you get mad scene points if you wear chucks and a west side barbell shirt on the same day.

i say go for it.

i used to not wear shoes for a long time when dead lifting and squatting... then they yelled at me and told me to put my shoes on. i usually try to keep a belt off until i am at a weight that is about 70-75% of my 1rm. then i throw one on.

Thanks. I've seen talk about this recently and didn't know what was up.

Yo lord casek. Someone mentioned a few pages back you posted links to a gang of e books about training, diet, technique, etc etc. I trolled through like the last 20 pages and can't find the cunt. Any chance of being a sport and re posting for an e tard such as myself? Cheers yo

i dont have experience with those shoes but flat soled shoes are recommended for deads/squats. you can just kick your shoes off if you feel like it when doing these moves. most people dont want to spend a ton of money on metal squat shoes and frankly... power lifters probably need these as much as michael jordan needs nike jordans.

the cheapest shoe for serious squat/deads are chucks. cheap. flat soled. your feet wont roll out of the sides of them. and they wont squirm around and 'bounce' in the soles of cross training/whatever shoes. some guys wear wrestling or boxing shoes.

i usually just wear chucks when doing lower days and whatever cross training or running shoe i currently have on upper days/cardio/etc days.

plus you get mad scene points if you wear chucks and a west side barbell shirt on the same day.

haha, Chucks. I wear Vans Era