They say Daniel Tammet has autism, I think he has awesism.

GuerrillaWon

Speaks 10 languages.

Learned the Icelandic language in 1 week.

Recited Pi to the 22,514 decimal correctly to raise money for an epilepsy charity.

Every number he says has a shape, color, and texture, all the way up to 10,000.

He thinks 8 is round, "lots of thoughts flying around in circles intermingling with eachother."

5 is loud, shiny, bright. and friendly.

Says he has no real relationship with 0, says its small and cold, and says 6 for some reason is smaller. When he was a child he says when he was depressed he'd imagine himself inside the number 6.

The thing with him is he can verbally explain and articulate his savantism.

Check him out.

That's awesism.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I heard about this. That dude is phenomenal, makes you think what we are capable of if we put are minds to it.

This is kind of the exact opposite. Savants don't 'put their mind' to anything- they do what they do because they don't have any other choice, they're wired like that and most often can't explain HOW they do the things they do.

Unless of course you're talking about his ability to explain his savantism. I guess that probably took a degree of 'putting his mind to it'... but most people would take what was written in the original post and write it off as bullshit babbling.

I wish I could have managed to remember Spanish for more than a few years...I was damn close to fluent, now I can barely order my food

yeah, i wish i put more effort into learning a language while i was young. i found it really easy when i was in high school, but gave so little of a fuck that i flaked hard and didn't learn a thing. if i could go back in time and kick my younger self's ass into doing something, it would be learning a language. and to not do graffiti. or do drugs. well, there's alot of things, but you get my point

A little off-topic:

My friend works with autistic kids (not the high-functioning kind) for a living. He says it's a totally humbling experience, which seems like the type of thing anyone would say... but I believe him.

I believe him because I've known him for years.

He used to be a complete asshole- the type that would ask for $2 from his closest friends when they wanted a ride up to the corner store.. until about a year after he got this job. Weird things started happening. He started respecting people and learned to accept the fact that he doesn't always know what's best for everyone- which is kind of the opposite of what you think would happen to a guy like him.

From what I'm gathering, autistics are good people.

I watched a fucking awesome doco about this a few years back. Funnily enough i guess it was sort of a stars of autism deal. Savants actually. I remember this one kid who would hear any song and could recreate the guitar part of it precisely. He was blind and had no idea how to actually play a guitar so he played it layed down in his lap. It blew my fucking mind.

I used to look after an autistic kid sometimes in highschool. He was a couple years younger than me. I remember one time he was given a blank map of the globe and an atlas and he filled in the whole shit. Every country with its borders. Named all capital cities in all states and a lot of major cities too. He didnt touch the atlas once.

Edt: haha I just rememberd this one time when some dipshit pushed joseph (the autstic kid) and one of my mates knocked him out cold.

I'd realy like to chat with this guy about numbers and colors and all that. It sounds really interesting when he says that all numbers have a unique color and texture and shape. I wonder if he'll paint them someday. I'd love to check that out.

i saw a special on him a while ago.

dude is super unique because he can do all this, but he also functions as a normal human being. apparently he's the only one in existence.

it was nuts when they took him to meet the guy that 'rainman' was based off of. this dude was fucking insane. he could read two pages of a book at one time, one with each eye. he had a photographic memory and could answer any historical/factual question you could possibly come up with.

people like this blow my mind.

nowadays autism is starting to be the new ADD. thats kind of a slap in the face to people who are really autistic. these kids are just fucking retarded and grew up with too much stimulation and so now they cant focus on anything, because their parents fried their brains wtih tv and mountain dew.

i hate that shit.