Digital Photography

DEE38

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, prepare for the photonerdness...

Being a student at RIT's CIAS, I can first tell you that you should take your time when shopping for a camera and photographic equipment. Don't be too hasty to buy the first thing that you think looks good or is in the right price range. Sometimes you might just want to spend the extra couple hundred for a better piece of photographic equipment.

Are you looking for a basic point and shoot or a higher end DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex, sort of like a glorified 35mm film camera)?

If you do want more "artfag"-like photos you could always get a cheaper Nikon D-Series camera. The D40 and D70 are probably in your price range at about $400-600. The only problem is that these are prices for the camera body only. The lenses can be rather expensive.

It is also possible to acheive those same kind of photos with less expensive Point and Shoot cameras as well. I used to own a Nikon Coolpix 8700 and it had a lot of great features. It was also lightweight and relatively small. These SLR-like cameras have gone down in price dramatically, so they are prime for the picking. I sold my 8700 to ilovedrunk (PMB's pal and fellow photonerd). I now use a Nikon D200 with an 18-70mm Nikkor lens. A DSLR like this is actually required for my major this is just my first year. I fucking love this camera though.

Check out the site DPreview.com for lots of detailed descriptions of every camera onthe market. You can also search for a camera that fits your needs and price range, try here.

As for a book, I was required to read a book by Barbara London and Jim Stone called A Short Course in Photography. I found it a little remedial for myself, but there is a lot of useful info for beginners.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you need more info, or ask any other specific questions.

By the way. Dee originally had a Kodak Z710 and I talked her into returning it and spending an extra bill for a Canon S3IS..

It's a DSLR-like camera, with a 12X zoom and all the manual features she could ask for. An actual DSLR kit was out of her price range.

Rage you and ink have the same camera. Sometimes I try to place with hers but since I'm used to Canon I just give up.

Yea, I thought the DSLR was going to be a bit too button heavy (and wallet/purse heavy).

I think a lot of people really just stick with one brand of camera. I think I'm used to Nikon's when it comes to anything Digital. I can learn other cameras, but I really need time to sit down and fidget with the controls. I'm not against other cameras at all either.

It sucks when people ask me what I think about anything other than Nikon's. I just shrug and say I don't know.

I should get my ass in gear and check out more of the digital photo equipment at RIT.

Am I right carwreck?

So Im getting a 30d in a month or so, if I dont quit my job. Right now Ive been shooting with an S50 and before that an A60, heres some year old shit I shot in raw and color adjusted in photoshop.

A60 shooting in jpeg

Farmers.jpg

CascadeMan.jpg

S50 in raw

CRW_3595.jpg

CRW_3606.jpg

edit: shit the differences in sizes fucks you up. The S50 pics are about four times bigger than the A60 with no distortion.