Digital Photography

DEE38

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ISO was one of those buttons that I pressed and I could see a number was changing so I just kept pressing it and tried to figure out what it did...

I never said it was the best method...

I think I played with shutter speed for a long time before aperture crossed my mind. I'm weird like that...

I need Dee to come back so I can tell her she's not going to get professional quality flicks of her kid with her camera, but maybe I could tell her some angles to try and some tricks in photoshop that might help.

...Yep...

I should've mentioned: never buy books if you don't have/really want to. I've never bought a how-to photo book in my life and I've been shooting (semi-)seriously for over 15 years.

I fully agree with the shoot, shoot, then shoot some more method of learning. All the techy shit you can pick up, well, here or from friends in the know. Your kid's on the swingset? Take 25 shots of him on the swingset. Fuck redundancy and pick the best shot.

Getting "better" comes when you start looking at your own stuff in the light of stuff you like and saying "why do I like this shot? How did the photographer do this?" and working backwards to incorporate those techniques.

Yeah 250 sounds about right. Not really a special deal.

I think a lot of people buy that camera because it's bigger. Although it's only bigger because it has a 10 X zoom. And since it doesn't have Image Stabilization, you can't even use that without a tripod.

okay so I got a book on understanding exposure. it's really helpful, but i feel like i'm missing a step before reading up on that because understanding everything is difficult.i dont know if its me or the camera (its probably me)but when i adjust things like the apature to what i thought would work.. my picture comes out complety dark. and it seems like the "f/_enternumberhere" and other features seem to be disabled. :( ?-feeling retarded.

ok film (or a digitial sensor) is a light senstive plane on which u record light.

To control the light u have 3 things...

shutter speed (the amount of time the shutter is open and allows light to hit the film). If you are handholding stay above 1/60th of a second in order to reduce blure from u moving ur hands.

apeture. The size of the hole the light shines through. bigger hole = more light. f22=small. f4 = big.

iso is the sensitivity of the film to the light. the higher the ISO the less light u need for the same brightness of the photo.

On a bright sunny day use a shutter speed of 1/iso and f16. so if its ISO 100 use a shutter speed of 1/100th at f16.

The nice thing about digital is u can guess at the whats needed then check the LCD and adjust as needed. So say u are at f/11 and 1/200th shutter speed and ur picture is to dark. You can increase the ISO, lower the fstop, or lower the shutter speed in order to brighten the image. Keep in mind without a tripod u want to stay above 1/60 shutter speed.

Also, fstop controls the depth of field, or how much of the image is in focus front to back and on the same plane of the film.

f/8 is usally enough for aking scenic pictures, but if u need EVERYTHING in focus use f16 or f22.

If you want just a tiny bit in focus use f/4 or however low u can go. I hope this helps a little.

okay does this make sense... but my camera's "Fstop" only goes from f2.8-f8.0?

im thinking of seriously bringing this camera back. :(

the more "1/250" or 1/500 i do .. it gets darker and darker. like rediculously darker. in the LCD it looks FINE. actually nothing i do shows on the LCD. but after i take the picture i see the difference! fucking darkness.

Allright slow down dawg,

those numbers, 1/250, 1/500, are to represent how long the shutter will stay open, letting light onto the sensor. They are fractions of a second. You can't preview how it will look through the lcd with the exposure because the camera doesn't have a way of knowing what it will look like for that long. What you need to do is try one of those settings, like 1/250 with f/2.8 lets say to start (there's nothing I can do to estimate a good exposure/aperture because I don't know what setting youre shooting in) and if it's too dark, try a longer exposure (like 1/80 is way longer) and see if its light enough. Play around with settings to get a good result. You'll get the hang of it.

Like really the LCD is only a preview of what will be in your frame. You have to figure out the right exposure by taking pictures and seeing what they look like. It's like this for all cameras. Check out the link I posted to learn about aperture and exposure, and keep fucking around with your camera. You will learn quickly. Hope I've been of service.

Exactry, and you may learn that a shutter speed is too long to be able to hold it in your hands steadily, so what you'll have to learn to do is adjust the ISO speed accordingly to make sure you have quick enough exposures to avoid motion blur. Of course later you'll want motion blur in stuff, or you can use tripods for long exposures, etc, but you really need to learn the basics, so go hit up that link I posted already.

i tried really hard to follow everyones instructions and the kodak (or probably me) was being retarded.

i could not for the life of me.. get a photo with a blurred background, and a sharp center image. everything focuses sharp. or is that pretty much impossible with these cameras?

okay it seems like the quickest is 1/4. and i turned it to f5.0-- same thing. i steady the camera too! its just dark and you can barely see what im focusing on and the only thing i see is what the light shines on the most.

ps: how old are you?

pss: i am not an old lady ass

Dee, you just gotta try different stuff, I'm sure theres settings that will work. Maybe your iso is too low? If you want to shell out the cash though, the S3 is a sweet camera to learn on, but you're going to have to learn more than you know now. You obviously are fumbling around quite a bit on your camera and need to learn the basics and buying a new camera isn't really going to help you learn, but in the long run yes that camera will be a way better one for you to use.