Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DEE38

Digital Photography

I'm off to get my nerd on @ Borders..I know alot of you are photosavvy with the digital camera. I wanted to pick some books up today to understand it more and hopefully take more artfag photos-- and theres 500 books out there.. just wondering if anyone can suggest me some really good ones.I just got a new digicam (nothing pro or fancy or anything) and it has lots of lil things to mess with and i'd like to know exactly what and how to mess with them.kodak_easyshare_z710_1.jpgif it helps, i have a kodak z710.thanks.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

Talk to Eastbay....he is all fag about cameras.......

LOL.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you DEE. I just trial and error with my settings (mostly error) and nerd for stuff on the interweb.

Eastbay: I'm working with a SONY DSC-W100. Whachoonoboutdat???

eb, the camera is okay. i've read reveiws from pros and they talk alot about it being slow, and etc etc. but the quality is really good as far as taking pictures of artwork (which i orignally bought it for.)

so can you help me make lemoade out of lemons here? :(

SnB...

This is seriously what I know about it right now in my head without looking anything up.

It's the step up for the w50 and w70. It's 8.1 MP. Has a 64MB internal memory.

3X zoom (As with most compact point and shoots) and it has a 2.5 LCD.

Also I want to point out that Sony's are expensive and overly complicated, and the motor that brings the lens out tends to break. Their customer service sucks and they pretty much never replace anything.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
eb, the camera is okay. i've read reveiws from pros and they talk alot about it being slow, and etc etc. but the quality is really good as far as taking pictures of artwork (which i orignally bought it for.)

Only if you mail us puppies....cute furry puppies.

well for 1, i'm going the mom route and say i want cute photos of my son running around with his dog in the park.. without it looking like a snapshot.

and secondly.. scenic photos. like those awsome graff 133t photos of tunnles. well not that subject matter, but similar style i guess.

-excuse my amatureness.

sorry sneak i just sold my last huskey last night. :(

but my bitch is pregnant again. you want dog embryo?

Guest R@ndomH3ro
sorry sneak i just sold my last huskey last night. :(

but my bitch is pregnant again. you want dog embryo?

It might make a tasty snack...Mmmmm Dog embryo

Here is something that is fun to know about Kodak. They hire people to go online and write good reviews about their cameras. The Kodak rep at my old store tried to bribe me to have better things to say about their cameras. I don't blame her, but hiring people to write good reviews is kind of shady...

Anywhoo. What I will say is that Kodaks are BY FAR the easiest camera to use, and as far as their cameras, you do have one of the better ones...

Nothing is going to tell you more about the camera then the manual itself. So dust that baby off and get to reading. Anytime you see a word that you don't understand, hit up google oner and figure out what the fuck...

Without more specifics on what you're trying to take pictures of I don't really know where to go from there.

99% of successful digital photography can be learned from traditional info. If you're looking more to figure out what the "landscape mode" is, you're best (first) bet is to read your manual. If you want to really learn about making successful photos, it's best to start with some basic books on photo in general--ones that will give you the background of composition, lighting, exposure, etc. Some suggestions that are probably available at B&N or Borders:

Photography Basics, Revised Edition by John Hedgecoe

50 Principles of Composition in Photography: A Practical Guide to Seeing Photographically Through the Eyes of a Master Photographer by Klaus Bohn

The Ansel Adams Guide : Basic Techniques of Photography by John P. Schaefe

This is all assuming you're going to use your camera in modes other than Auto.

Get the basics (it won't take long), practice them and read up on digital crap while you're doing that. Kodak puts out a quality guide/tip/trick publication (online only, I think) that would proabably be ideal since you are shooting that. Start here: kodak.

Just about all the "How To" digi books out there will tell you the same thing in pretty much the same language. Brand-specific publications are obviously most relevant but you can glean a lot from, say, a Canon or Nikon book. This is also one are where you CAN tell a book by its cover: if it looks like it was published (1) in the early 90s; (2) in someone's basement; or (3) at Kinko's, I'd stay away.

Check the Photo thread in untitled... they're all about dropping the knowledge.

Oh also to combat the slowness of the camera. Make sure that you press the button halfway first. That should auto focus it. Then it should beep or something when it's ready, and the picture should take a lot less time from the time you press it to the time it gets processed.

I'm getting photo knowledge battled...

Dee my personal opinion is that you don't need any books at all. You'd be wasting your money. Nothing. Get a big memory card, take more photos then you need of any one particular thing and figure out what looks good and doesn't look good about all of them.

Get a big memory card, take more photos then you need of any one particular thing and figure out what looks good and doesn't look good about all of them.

This was how i went about things. If i wanted to take a nice photo of something. I'd take a bunch on different settings and eventually worked out what worked well for different shit.

I really should finish reading my manual.

DASH_21.jpg

provencealley1.jpg

here are some of my favorite photos in the photo thread. i love this look.

the thing is, my manual sucks. its 8 pages long with 1 sentence explinations for each button! thats why i wanted to get some kind of reference book to learn what apeture priority and stuff mean.. and also how shutter speeds effects a photo.. what ISO is and etc etc. I have no clue.

also the camera comes with alot of pre-settings like "party" "children" "landscape night". and sometime that shit seems like it doesn't even work / i'm doing it wrong. so it can get pretty frustrating. the one thing i like is how it takes close up/flowers really well. and thats something i coulden't even dreaaaaaaam of with my other awesome 2.0 pixel digicam.

ps: thank you guys for the advice. i was ready to blow some dough at borders, but instead im gunna get a bigger memory card.

oh and question: if i were to get a new camera later, which would be a better selection? (quality and price wise)

Shutter speed is how long the shutter is open, and therefor how much light is exposed in the picture.

Longer shutter means more light. So if it's a dark you will need to leave the picture exposed for a longer period of time...

This picture for example was taken at 3 in the morning, the only light are the street lights.

310908062_0708fde039.jpg?v=0

So I had to leave the shutter open for 15 seconds just to get it that bright. Although your camera I believe only has the option to leave it open for 8.

there ^^^ like that! i love it. thats what i wanted to know. i love that photo.

so this might be silly but..... you set the camera down, right?

Aperture is the actual hole that lights the light in. So things start to get more complicated after that...

The smaller the hole is the less light gets let in, which means that you have to leave the shutter open for longer.

So say you're taking a picture and you notice it's coming out blurry even though it's not that dark. You might have your hole to small. (hehe)

So if you made your hole bigger, you wouldn't have to leave your shutter open for as long, which means you're less likely to shake your camera while taking the picture.

I have a few books on photography, and to be honest, I've learned so much more by just taking pictures, as Eastbay said, and see what works and what doesn't. I've also learned new things on the internet, theres plenty of good sites with information from the basic of exposure, composition, etc, to tutorials for editing techniques

Then again, I'm not really a book person, so maybe that's just me

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now