kill emo dead. dead. die.

colder

Guest KING OF HELL

split lip wasnt emo. although the "fates got a driver" record sounded like they could be soul side with a little effort, they were more post hardcore rock than anything.

split lip was closer to supertouch than anything else.

iceburn after the FIRON record could be considered abstract and "emo" i guess.....

sensefeild was dc inspired so i can see that even though id call them more rock than anything else.

intoanother was hardcore inspired cock rock. like bad brains meets the scorpions.

richie was always trying to be the white H.R. and i think drew was the cock rock influence on that one. besides peter moses was the shizznit.

turning point was along that melodic 90's hardcore that was fresh back then everyone did it.

BUG, the only thing i would add to your list would be kevin eagan and his 1.6 band, which i think was the blue print for most screamo bands nowadays.

what i wouldnt give for another SUPERTOUCH album or something in the vein of EYE FOR AN EYE.......

BUG, you and i have similar tastes and reference points...we should hook up sometime and get angry about being old.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess i associate a majority of post hardcore with the emo vein, considering there is such a blurred definition of emo in everyones mind. what can you do it is music.

i put split lip in their besides lyrical content, also songs like crestfallen (instrumental no rock just talent) and her side of sundown and box. those songs off for the love of a wounded fit nicely into emo.

late into another went completely against the cock rock which i can see the comparison. but i would compare them more to a late rush/early radiohead.

but i just listen to hank the 3rd these days so what do i know.

i don't know what i like or where it falls under in the broad sense. maybe it's independent music. more towards punk/postpunk subgenres. i can't fucking stomache all the labels and scenester shit attitudes...i'm sick of the bitter old punk rock kids and their snobby attitudes. myself included.

right.

emo has long been dead. as far as i was ever concerned, its been dead since it caught on and stopped being emotional and just became the pop hit (the pop hit meaning everyone found out what the word "emo" meant). i just think of jade tree shit. stuff i listened to when i was 15, minus the classics. whatever. it's gone. good riddance. whatever.

what's hot: blackheart procession, blonde redhead, jerome's dream (older stuff), moss icon live recordings, godspeed you black emperor!, and lately i've been on a big rebirth with the nation of ulysses and the crucifucks. the road to hell.

Originally posted by boxcarwilly

as for the ultimate "emo" list by bug id have to agree with them but you would have to add

iceburn

sensefield (sorry (PLEASE DO NOT EVER POST MY REAL NAME ON HERE- THE KING OF HELL..........) ill get shit for this one)

into another (cmon richie from underdog saying if he was on a desert island all he would want is an 8 track and a lifetime supply of acid)

and of course........

split lip (these kids were like 15 and they killed shit for the love of a wounded was one of the best albums i ever owned it was back to back with earth crisis all out war in 1993 shows how tough kids are)

I don't know, i used to listen to all that stuff too, but that was the stuff i considered "post hardcore". have you ever heard of gravity records? thats the kinda stuff i'm thinking of. but my favorite "melodic hardcore":

-Lifetime-everything ever released

-Split Lip-For the love of the wounded and Fates got a driver

-Into Another-Ignourus

-statue-filter the infection

-supertouch-the earth is flat

i'm sure there's ten more, but i can't think of them at the moment

haha, King of Hell, yes, this is a sign that indeed we are just old. nothing wrong with kids liking music, but there is something wrong about older people giving them shit for liking it. go ahead kids, listen to saves the day. its all good. i just wanted people to know that the concept and name "emo" was stolen from a scene that was once a beautiful thing.

nothing wrong with kids liking music, but there is something wrong about older people giving them shit for liking it. go ahead kids, listen to saves the day. its all good. i just wanted people to know that the concept and name "emo" was stolen from a scene that was once a beautiful thing. [/b]

I agree with what you have said above, I'm just pissed off with the complete lack of knowledge of the "new school" emo kids and their over played under rated allstarrs and cliched antics.I'm sure you feel the same but chocie not to react in such a hostile mannor unlike me.

Guest KING OF HELL
Originally posted by boxcarwilly

i guess i associate a majority of post hardcore with the emo vein, considering there is such a blurred definition of emo in everyones mind. what can you do it is music.

i put split lip in their besides lyrical content, also songs like crestfallen (instrumental no rock just talent) and her side of sundown and box. those songs off for the love of a wounded fit nicely into emo.

late into another went completely against the cock rock which i can see the comparison. but i would compare them more to a late rush/early radiohead.

but i just listen to hank the 3rd these days so what do i know.

sorry to keep correcting you but

"CRESTFALLEN" isnt the insturmental. it has words. "these november skies...they've set our souls to flames. denied me the right and now the sap of our love has dried away........."

there is a short accoustic insturmental right before that that doenst have a permanent name.

and BOX wasnt actualy on the album. its been put out on a few split lip/chamberlain releases, but the easiest one to find it on is "THE LIP" which is a comp of songs that werent realeased and some live tracks and covers. coveres include, op ivy's unity, tracy chapmans talking about a revelution, and midnight oil's beds are burning with elana ritchie from ASHES. also live tracks from a show in north hampton.

anywho, BOX had lyrics too. its the "a thin man's craving a fair trade in...." song..

also "her side of sundown" was on "fates got a driver."

1. Colder is funny.

2. People are taking him too seriously.

3. I agree with the King of Hell, especially on Bad Brains and Cro-Mags.

4. Primus does NOT suck. I can't vouch for Phish though.

5. I don't know if it was emo but I heard a lot of intensely irritating songs in a row with whiny singers and topics that would be corny to a 13-year old audience, and I decided I was not a fan.

6. No offense to rodeojones, who was responsible for #5. :beat:

learn to keep your mouth shut if you dont like the consequences.

hmm...last time i checked it was the internet...

i like hot girls, thats all im really worried about.

no. no you dont...

emo has long been dead.

one could only hope...

"YOU MUST BUY EXPENSIVE SHIT. GUNS AND VIOLENCE IS COOL. STEALING AND HAVING A TUFF GUY ATTITUDE IS THE WAY TO GO". Which is why i hate that music, because not only does it not appeal to me and not sound good to me at all, it also flaunts such life destroying things like drugs and gangs and stealing and other dumb shit. "BEING DISRESPECTFUL IS AWESOME!!".

guns and violence ARE cool, as are stealing and having a tough guy attitude, and being disrespectful...well that is just the way to be! :idea:

Originally posted by KING OF HELL

sorry to keep correcting you but

"CRESTFALLEN" isnt the insturmental. it has words. "these november skies...they've set our souls to flames. denied me the right and now the sap of our love has dried away........."

there is a short accoustic insturmental right before that that doenst have a permanent name.

and BOX wasnt actualy on the album. its been put out on a few split lip/chamberlain releases, but the easiest one to find it on is "THE LIP" which is a comp of songs that werent realeased and some live tracks and covers. coveres include, op ivy's unity, tracy chapmans talking about a revelution, and midnight oil's beds are burning with elana ritchie from ASHES. also live tracks from a show in north hampton.

anywho, BOX had lyrics too. its the "a thin man's craving a fair trade in...." song..

also "her side of sundown" was on "fates got a driver."

yes yes i am messy in my titlings etc, seeing as alot of it is all a blur from 93. but recently reliving with the help of audiogalaxy. a couple years as a hare krsna and your brain melts and you forget your roots.

the song before crestfallen is acoustic, as is the song that is on one of the cd's (i thought it was for the love...) as added tracks. but you probably are right because i dont have the cds just everything i could off audiogalaxy.

i do remember the lip compilation it was really really good especially the track with miss ritchie. who went to school in ri i dont know... "sitting duck drowning in the water i cant swim to shore i cant find the floor."

and if i remember she was the hot item for having as a guest vocalist on anything.

listened to scarab last nite another mid nineties grl led band.

but on agreement with you enjoy myself quadrophenia is playing right now.

Originally posted by you enjoy myself

1. camaaannn cracked, primus fans chant "PRIMUS SUCKS!" at their shows. get in the know wouldja! :D

2. i've got a phish track that i'm convinced you'll like...even if it is 11 minutes long.

My bad on #1, I haven't seen em live.

I'm down to hear #2, if I'm sitting in front of your scanner.

what's emo?

This must be an American thing that has yet to be exported to Europe, I have no IDEA what you are all talking about, but I do know the kind of person - pseudo-beatniks?

Anyway, leave goth the fuck alone! Not only is the music cool (well the industrial end of it.....), but it causes girls to abandon the tanned look, go REALLY pale and wear bondage gear outdoors where I can see 'em, and PVC!!!!!! I LOVE GOTHS they're so sexy!

I dont know why everyone is acting like this "emo" stuff is so embarrassing - have you seen the PATHETIC depths to which hiphop goes occasionally?

i think they should be forced to drag a cross 100 miles across the desert and then put it be crucified on the cross and then have their assholes sewed shut and fed bratwurst until they cant take it anymore and then unsew it and they will painfully shit out their intestines. either that or cover them in honey and let fire ants get them., or just burn them. i hate emo

Guest got tha feva

This thread was absolutely the most stupid thing I've ever read. In fact, I think I am even more stupid for having read it. All you bitter, angry people talking about 'emo' kids being whiney bitches. I'll tell you this much, I've never once met a person who called themselves 'emo'. And if a person likes 'emo' then I'll bet you a hundred dollars they like other types of music as well. I have to say the funniest part of this whole post is all the old 'elite' emo scenesters. "Emo's dead, emo's used up and recycled music that's already been done before." Hello... 'emo' isn't just a label made for 5 bands that exsisted in the mid 90's. Anytime a band who sounds emo add's anything different and innovative to their music then they are considered indie rock, metal, etc. Emo's just a vague term for the indie rock music that exsists in the hardcore/punk scene... basicly.

All of this is why I'd much rather go to rock shows 21 +. Cool is fucking cool, good bands are good bands, good fashion is good fashion, and good beer is good beer. There's respect for people who've been involved in the scene for awhile, but they're not shoving it down anyone's throat because they're just there for the good times and good tunes like everyone else. Nobody has that much time and indecency to sit around and make fun of people for the way they dress or the way they sing in their band. Get a hobbie (talking shit doesn't count) and grow up.

Prude

you guys are all totally missing the point

have you ever been to an emo show?

have you noticed the very high and sometimes hottie tottie female population? sometimes the music sux, sometimes good, regardless wear a tight shirt, glasses and cry a little it will get you laid

or at least help you meet some girls

who would rather be your friends and cry to you about some other jackass she's boning

it's worth it go emo

Guest KING OF HELL

but the drawings were fucking hillarious. i did especialy like the sign on names and all the trash talk. loved it.

long live the SEEKERS OF THE TRUTH!

Originally posted by got tha feva

All you bitter, angry people talking about 'emo' kids being whiney bitches. I'll tell you this much, I've never once met a person who called themselves 'emo'. And if a person likes 'emo' then I'll bet you a hundred dollars they like other types of music as well. I have to say the funniest part of this whole post is all the old 'elite' emo scenesters. "Emo's dead, emo's used up and recycled music that's already been done before." Hello... 'emo' isn't just a label made for 5 bands that exsisted in the mid 90's. Anytime a band who sounds emo add's anything different and innovative to their music then they are considered indie rock, metal, etc. Emo's just a vague term for the indie rock music that exsists in the hardcore/punk scene... basicly.

like i said, back in the day, no one called themself emo, or a band emo, only in a sarcastic way. so we agree.

the fact that you say its indie rock in the hardcore scene shows that you don't know what i'm talking about either.

i watched a musical revolution develop. Heroin, Universal Order of Armageddon, Drive like Jehu, Unwound, Antioch Arrow...absoultely amazing music which was different than any other scene i had ever seen. All these bands just kept getting better. They kept adding stuff and that's what innovated it. People just happened to call it emo.

you're right, this is silly. i wasn't trying to be an elitist, i'm too old for that game. i just see so much emo bashing and i was trying to say that it was once a beautiful thing rather than a cliche.

"emo's just a vague term for..." that statement makes you no different than all of us here trying to explain what it is/was

Archived