Pink Floyd Appreciation thread

Mauler5150

no way. the early stuff, especially meddle, blows away a lot of the later stuff. darkside is a little different, darkside is definitely one of their best though.

rash, i'm still curious why you think gilmour fucked floyd?

and yeah, rash has a good point much of that earlier stuff was heavy on the psychedelic side, which was completly different for the later stuff.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't misunderestimate me here, Meddle was my favorite before I finally settled on Final Cut. I didn't say the early stuff was bad, just not as good after years of study, imho.

As far as my roots and currents go, the first 'grown up' record I ever got was a 45 of 'Another Brick in the Wall' b/w 'One of My Turns' (you might be able to guess that I dug the fuck out of that B side). I also saw Pink Floyd live in 1988 (were you allowed out of the house after dark in 1988?) AND...

and... I don't even have to fully extend my arm to place my hand on my Best of Syd cd, so it's not like I just started thinking about this stuff.

*just btw, the second 'grown up' record I ever got was the 12" single for Rapper's Delight.

yeah, meddle is my fave! fearless just kills me every time...the gilmour thing is personal. don't really like the fact that he continued the floyd after waters left. i understand it if a member dies, ala the who (which i don't necessarily agree with either...), but sometimes it's best to just walk away. seriously, i'm talking out my ass. i don't know what it's like to be in one of the greatest bands of all time, don't know what it's like to be a musician in said band and walk away and try and do something solo and be taken seriously. really i just wanted to stir up some good ol' rocknroll talk, suss out the fans, y'know.

Don't misunderestimate me here, Meddle was my favorite before I finally settled on Final Cut. I didn't say the early stuff was bad, just not as good after years of study, imho.

As far as my roots and currents go, the first 'grown up' record I ever got was a 45 of 'Another Brick in the Wall' b/w 'One of My Turns' (you might be able to guess that I dug the fuck out of that B side). I also saw Pink Floyd live in 1988 (were you allowed out of the house after dark in 1988?) AND...

and... I don't even have to fully extend my arm to place my hand on my Best of Syd cd, so it's not like I just started thinking about this stuff.

*just btw, the second 'grown up' record I ever got was the 12" single for Rapper's Delight.

i don't know if this was directed towards me, but i was 13 in 88, and i i recall i was getting high, pulling all nighters and painting local highways.

also, i'm not trying to come off like a floyd know it all, so please don't read it the wrong way.

Gilmour did pretty good when he went solo. I liked "Pro's and Cons" from Waters but Roger's solo career pales next to Dave's success (commercially AND critically). Plus, for Roger to act like a petulant child and not participate in the Learning to Fly reunion... I lost a ton of respect there. Gilmour invited him back (well, everyone did but Dave offered to squash the beef) and Roger basically gave up the ship so, to my way of thinking Waters has disclaimed his Floyd association and I've been disgusted with him ever since.

Not that I wouldn't pay full ticket to stand in the back row at a Roger Water's show...

yeah, meddle is my fave! fearless just kills me every time...the gilmour thing is personal. don't really like the fact that he continued the floyd after waters left. i understand it if a member dies, ala the who (which i don't necessarily agree with either...), but sometimes it's best to just walk away. seriously, i'm talking out my ass. i don't know what it's like to be in one of the greatest bands of all time, don't know what it's like to be a musician in said band and walk away and try and do something solo and be taken seriously. really i just wanted to stir up some good ol' rocknroll talk, suss out the fans, y'know.

i feel you on that last part. yeah, i wasn't sure what to think of a momentary lapse of reason when it came out, but it grew on me. wright and mason really didn't add all that much to it, so it's not really a floyd album. but yeah, the band isn't the same with out waters, but for that mater it isn't the same with out syd.

i don't know if this was directed towards me, but i was 13 in 88, and i i recall i was getting high, pulling all nighters and painting local highways.

also, i'm not trying to come off like a floyd know it all, so please don't read it the wrong way.

it was, and hey, I did that same stuff then too... plus I saw Pink Floyd.*

And I don't think you were coming off like that, and I hope I'm not either, I just know what I know and I have my opinion.

Reasonable men can disagree, though I think we agree on the main points and the rest is mostly nit picking.

*Plus P.I.L and The Cure, and Sting, and the Ramones, and Jesus and Mary Chain... and I can't think of any of the other shows I saw in '88 right now.

it was, and hey, I did that same stuff then too... plus I saw Pink Floyd.

And I don't think you were coming off like that, and I hope I'm not either, I just know what I know and I have my opinion.

Reasonable men can disagree, though I think we agree on the main points and the rest is mostly nit picking.

ok. yeah i was just responding to the being home before dark thing..haha. you are a lucky man for seeing them. i've never had the chance to.

cool. no not at all. agreed.

agreed and yes definitly.

Damn, this thread has got the people talking.

And as I said the other day, I get sick of hearing about gangsta rap on here all the time.

I actually went to this show with my Dad, and it was amazing to see how many other parents were there with their children.

This band, like all the classic bands that have ever existed, transcends time, in that each generation can enjoy it in the same way. I am pretty sure there won't be too many people going with their parents to rap/hip-hop shows.

/end rant about why hiphop is retarded#672

Hey Maul.. I'm curious how do you feel about that Dub Side of the Moon release??

I haven't read all the post, so excuse me if it's been asked and answered...

Can't say I have heard it, but I have heard the Dream Theater 'Dark Side of the Dream' cover album where they play the entire DSOTM.

Oh and I was just listening to the OSI cover of Set the controls....... and I still have to say Mike Portnoy is the beast drummer, he goes fucking insane on that cover song.

Do you have a link as to where I can download it (I think I saw something about it in the album trader thread, but I could be wrong)

Can't say I have heard it, but I have heard the Dream Theater 'Dark Side of the Dream' cover album where they play the entire DSOTM.

Oh and I was just listening to the OSI cover of Set the controls....... and I still have to say Mike Portnoy is the beast drummer, he goes fucking insane on that cover song.

Do you have a link as to where I can download it (I think I saw something about it in the album trader thread, but I could be wrong)

Remind me later and I'll throw it up on Sendspace..