Graffiti and Architecture

KASTsystem

I know that a lot of writers here consider their graffiti to be art. I also know that a lot of writers here show respect for certain artists, whether it's other writers, painters, sculptors, etc. That being the case, I was wondering how people here feel about architecture. After all, architecture is an art, and there are many creative architects that a lot of writers here would probably respect: Frank Gehry, Tadao Ando, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Rem Koolhaas just to name a few.

My main question is, if you do in fact respect architecture as an artform, how do you feel about doing graffiti on it? If I was an architect, I know that I would be very upset if someone painted my building, even if the graffiti was amazing...

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i have a real weird thing about graff... i either want things to be totally crushed, or not at all... graff in small towns just looks stupid... some wack ass tag on the side of a dairy queen or something... blah.... but somepplace like NY, or montreal, thats totally crushed looks real dope to me.

i totally respect architecture, and if not for the math involved, would love to persue it... the thing is, graff on buildings doesnt cover more than 7 feet or so, so theres still plenty of room for fresh design to flourish untouched, ya know...

• Like 1

i hear that, seeking. i figure the architecture on most buildings is pretty generic...using your example, a dairy queen is probably not going to have any real architectural integrity, so it doesn't matter. but what if it was some revolutionary new building style...? and if that does matter, do you just use your own personal discretion as to which buildings are ok to hit and which ones aren't?

if i found my self with the urge to bomb,and this wonderful building had a nice lil blank spot,and i could get a way with it.. i will place my name on it.

it would be a collab if you will between two artist hahahahahaah

i dont know i like graffiti on buildings, if its this amazing building,

and i find graffiti to be amazing..then the two together in my mind make since.

Originally posted by iloveutensil

i dont know i like graffiti on buildings, if its this amazing building,

and i find graffiti to be amazing..then the two together in my mind make since.

[just playing devil's advocate]

yeah, but how about in the architect's mind? i bet it doesn't make too much since to him...he doesn't see it as a collaboration. he had a vision of a building, designed and constructed it, and no where in his vision did he imagine his perfect building with YOUR NAME on it.

i was sorta just being funny about the whole collab thing:)

i mean this deals with different people views..the bomber or writer cannot qeustion what he is doing..its sorta war mode.

i mean i would be pissed if it was my building..or if some one wrote on my shit.

but yet i still write on peoples stuff.

hehe i dont know thers so much i could say and this whole discussion leads into alot of issues,of morality and private property and things like that..

hehe

im done:)

Engineer?

I'am a computer Engineer not that it matters:rolleyes: but I think my graff has improved vastly since taking the architechtual drawing classes and math classes. I think that you should blow up anything you want whether its a port-a-potty or the eiffel tower......<-- no respect for them if they have no respect for me!

well, now that i think about it a little more...it might not matter so much if some one painted a building that i designed. here's my logic:

if i'm an architect, the most important thing to me would be to make my building a reality. once it was constructed, i would have accomplished that. whatever happens to it afterwards is inconsequential, since i have already succeeded in bringing my building to life...(which is after all the most important thing for an architect)

but that's only one way of looking at it, and i bet a lot of architects wouldn't look at it that way...

as with language, graff is contextual... I don't buy what Seeking's selling, it all has to do with placement and use of space... in a small town one of the writers best allies is the element of surprise, you wander around this clean little town and turn a corner into an alley and BAM full on burner, that shit is hotter than hot, but... I also agree that some busted ass marker tag on the DQ lounge is pretty weak... context... I have always maintained a secret desire to write my name on the tablet that the Statue of Liberty holds, but in the context of todays national mindset I think that it might get me the death penalty...

Originally posted by iloveutensil

i mean this deals with different people views..the bomber or writer cannot qeustion what he is doing..its sorta war mode.

i mean i would be pissed if it was my building..or if some one wrote on my shit.

but yet i still write on peoples stuff.

If you have never questioned what you are doing, how do you know what you are doing is right? What reason do you give yourself for doing graff?

One of the things I find most interesting about graffiti is that all of these different writers have different reasons for doing graffiti, but only a few have really good, really thought out reasons that they can defend against an opposing view.

If you would be pissed off if someone wrote on your shit, why do you do it to others? Do you believe graffiti is right? Or do you realize it is wrong and just do it anyway?

I think this is a good topic and applies to many of the things discussed on this site. What is it that gives writers their sense that they can do whatever they want, be that vandalize, rack, sell drugs, rob people, whatever? I am not saying I think all laws are good and just, or even that I obey all laws, but I have thought through my actions and I can talk about my decisions in a logical and compelling manner.

i don't really want this to turn into another "how do you justify graffiti?" thread...i'm not asking for justification. i'm asking how you see your graffiti in relation to architecture.

do you think it disrespects the architect's work?

if not, why?

do you consider the architecture when planning or freestyling a piece? my observation is that not a lot of writers do this...wouldn't it be more interesting to see site-specific graffiti that related to the architecture or its environment?

i thought this was about how architecture inspires graf..

i love the architecture here...the old stuff is incredible to look at

some of the old bank buildings have the dopest gargoyles and designs adorning the windows and sides..but i still write on those buildings..

there were a few pieces of art (sculpture and murals) that have gotten bombed up around here..i was a little surprised..i definitely would not take it that far..but i have no problems writing on a nice building..marble has been one of my favorite surfaces to hit, and i have hurt some very nice windows...

all in all, i don't care what judgements people make about it..the lines i draw about how far i'm gonna go usually has more to do with how much i've had to drink than my admirations of other people's hard work.

i can't really see myself writing on a Wright building, but i can't rule it out either..

if the spot is comin off, i'm prolly gonna bomb it

and if the building is high profile, it is gonna be that much more fun.

..no way am i fuckin with the basilica, though

Originally posted by KASTsystem

i don't really want this to turn into another "how do you justify graffiti?" thread...i'm not asking for justification. i'm asking how you see your graffiti in relation to architecture.

do you think it disrespects the architect's work?

if not, why?

do you consider the architecture when planning or freestyling a piece? my observation is that not a lot of writers do this...wouldn't it be more interesting to see site-specific graffiti that related to the architecture or its environment?

I understand what you are saying, but I think you have to look at your justification to answer this in some ways. If you consider architecture the work of an artist than by applying graffiti to their work, you are in essence doing the same as crossing out another writers work. You are disrespecting their work in the same manner. Does that make sense?

Originally posted by bobobi11

I understand what you are saying, but I think you have to look at your justification to answer this in some ways. If you consider architecture the work of an artist than by applying graffiti to their work, you are in essence doing the same as crossing out another writers work. You are disrespecting their work in the same manner. Does that make sense?

Yes, you are right, some justification is necessary to answer the question...i just don't want it to be the main focus of the thread.

I like what you said about how doing graffiti on a building is similar to going over another artist...That's kind of how I feel about it. Do other people see it like this? If so, does it bother you to go over another artist?

The last time I visited Vancouver,B.C. there was this really old-looking building downtown----I think it was on Granger Ave.?---anyways...something with a "G"...there was no graff on it whatsoever, except this "Zeus" outline right on the corner..I mean it was a nice spot, but it did'nt do any justice for the initial building......then you go down about 6 or 7 blocks into "Gastown" and "the" place is completely crushed...that looked hella ill..

i feel like by doing graffiti i often make compromises. i am out to destroy, but i dont want to destroy someones art. still i hit it.,

i dont know if i would hit a beautiful building, i doubt ive had the choice.

if i was an architect the way i would feel would depend on the building i think. if it was a beautiful break through work of art i might ask why they would be so disrespectful. but i dont think i would take it personally..its not a dis....we just need a canvas and their buildings are apropriate.

anyways, good thread.

What an opportune thread. I have been thinking about this a lot. Since I started Graffing I have been very paranoid when I tag. But I am willing to go do a piece on something or a tossup and not really worry about it. Lately I have realized that it is because I don't feel like just destroying things floats my boat.

I have taken an interest in studying Architecture and Aesthetics so that I could use my art to enhance it. To enhance the way it is viewed and what it says. To make the most of the space given. I like the idea of working with the architecture.

I think that using the space that is already there truly makes the city like a canvas and makes what I am doing art because it invovles thought and reflection.

But I still have no problem fucking up some building that houses organizations that I don't like. For instance if I rolled up on a beautiful art deco style building that was in great shape but it housed the KKK I would wreck the shit out of it. Trying to put ugly tags in places that couldn't be repaired or removed. But then again they would probably kill me. But this a great thread.

Guest imported_b0b

couple of points in relation to this:

If a building is beautiful I won;t hit it. Others can or whathaveyou, but my personal morals won;t allow me too.

If someone plans a certain outline or piece for a certain building, brillaint! I like it when you see hits that have been put in a particular place on a building and you can see that the writer has noticed somewhere in particular they wanted to hit.

I knew of a few writers that were studying to be architects and all their stuff was "out there". Certainly seemed to have an effect on their graf.

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by Smart

as with language, graff is contextual..it all has to do with placement and use of space.....

yes, and i agree that not alot of writers consider the surface they are hitting...

from my personal visual experience anyhow..i see so many unbelievable spots that are just trashed with shit, and i just cringe and regret i didn't get there first...

i personally avoid spots if i don't like the color of the surface, or the 'relief' of the surface or just the overall feel i get from it..for instance i pretty much only hit old decrepit spots or ones that look that way...rarely do i feel any urge to hit a fresh unblemished wall...not out of respect or anything, just cuz thats what pops my zitz..

to me spots are almost as important as what you put on them.....i also

could care less where the spot is...it could be a barn in the country for all i care..

there is so much shit architecture out there that a nice building should jump out at you...and for me, i would respect that. some surfaces just don't work with graf, not as a cop out, just as a blank reality..to pick up on the idea of the architect designing it and seeing the fruits of his ideas and work become reality, then not caring really what happens to it...look at it this way....if you find a really awesome spot that you just can't wait to go paint, for me i want that spot...thats my spot, and i did as much as i could with it, and considered it, then at least tried to paint something that would complement it and vice versa, and i'd want it there for a long time...till its not even visible due to the elements....why even paint there if its not gonna last? obviously you take the chance, but you'd way rather see a piece you are somewhat happy with survive right? especially if you annexed alot of thinking to that spot..

wouldn't the architect feel the same?

i don't know, some people don't have any class when it comes to spots....

who knows, maybe i don't either.....i really fuckin' try to though...

i thought somebody would've dropped zaha hadid's name by now...where's joker?

blahblahblah

In my personal point of view, 90% of the architecture out there is shit. It's cookie-cutter crap. Sure it was designed by an artist but they have no originality. Kinda like 90% of the writers out there. It amazes me when I see new buildings going up in my city that look just like the building next to it that was built twenty years ago. Where's the progression? The building was dated before it was even built. That's sad. A waste of time, energy and money.

Architects like Frank Ghery and Zaha Hadid break ground. They make architecture interesting and controversial. They make you take notice of their artwork. You can walk through a city all day long and when you roll by a Ghery building... you're gonna stop and look. Kinda like 10% of the graffiti out there.

When I was heavy into bombing it was about aesthetics and placement. I was an "Aesthetic Terrorist"... If I hit a building not only did the placement on my hit matter but so did the building. I had respect for progressive architecture. Other than that it was fair game. I don't think architects really think about graffiti as a problem to counteract in their design. Nor do they probably care about their buildings getting hit. Especially if the building is art itself. Just a thought.

• Like 1

• 21 years later...
  • 7 months later...