Cop-Artist Decides Change Is Good

bobobi11

Cop-Artist Decides Change Is Good

A S P E N, Colo. — When Police Officer Rick Magnuson created a work of art titled, "I Dare You to Steal This $100," he knew he was asking for trouble.

The conceptual artwork consisted of a small canvass with a $100 bill tacked to it and was displayed at the Aspen Art Museum.

"It was up for about a month before somebody had the guts to try to take it," Magnuson remarked. But eventually a clever museum-goer swiped it last Wednesday — and replaced it with five $20 bills.

At first Magnuson wasn't amused, saying the piece had been defaced and its meaning altered.

"I thought of my options. I think we determined at the [Police Department] that it was potentially criminal mischief — defacing somebody's art."

Now the Aspen Police Department community safety officer is more accepting of the prankster's effort.

"It was kind of a clever thing," Magnuson admitted. "I don't think I want to punish someone for that."

The incident might help inspire future projects, he said, noting that he considers art his passion in life. Next up, he said, might be a canvass with a razor blade hanging on it, with the title "I Dare You to Slash This."

As for the $100 question, Magnuson said he knows the perfect place to display it.

"I might put it in the chief's office," he said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Mine too, I just thought it unique to see a cop that would even think about an art project like that. I do see it very similar to Hoffman, and I think there are a lot of similarities between this and graffiti.

For instance, if someone came along and added something to your piece, you would at first be pissed, but upon further study if it was clever and improved upon your original intent, you may see it as a good thing later. Seems like that's what happened here.

yeah, I also noticed the titles similarity to Hoffman's but I also thought of this hologram I saw in Santa Fe back in '95... it was a hand that protruded towards the viewer holding a $100 bill, it was SO good, everyone I watched look at it tried to touch the money almost immediately. It was pretty amazing to see people interact with that piece...

• 9 months later...

i like thit topic. i think the idea that his art is all based on a blank canvas says something about his love for boring white walls and such. and also that he thought it was defacing the art to put the 5 20's up, that was a more meaningful statement than the art itself.. i dont know what else to really say about it..

Originally posted by footsoldier

i like thit topic. i think the idea that his art is all based on a blank canvas says something about his love for boring white walls and such. and also that he thought it was defacing the art to put the 5 20's up, that was a more meaningful statement than the art itself.. i dont know what else to really say about it..

that was almost exactly what i was thinking other than the blank canvas part.where does it say anything about a blank canvas?

what's condemned?

yo, smart - you think that is the purest part of graffiti, or whatever you said?

i thought graffiti can also shit on this art-world, and one up it. The dude who changed it to five twenties is a curator who thought it up and executed it. It would've been better if some kid stole all the money from a cop.

You might say that he gets props to be in that situation to steal it, and even more to actually do it, but he didn't steal money off a cop from a low security museum, he gave the cop an ass licking, almost literaly.

I think the art project reflects a classic cop attitude: "I DARE you to do such-and-such" - "just try it" - it seems to reflect a very cop-like tough guy attitude. And it's even more arrogant for him to even THINK that someone else's (very clever) interatcion with his piece was a 'crime'. God forbid...

i think the culprit who was challenged into stealing the money should have left the canvas with no dough. and just the thumbtack and a dirty outline where the big face would have been. this way the new folks who hadn't seen the "art" would have said "what fucking hunnie?" as by that time there would be none.

instead it said "steal this hundred" and there was still a hundred, only smaller bills, so the "passersby" and "innocent unknowing public at large" would not have thought twice about it.

i am with roo about the "antagonistic officer art" aspect of the whole thing.

guilty until proven innocent or caught on video catching a beating.

edited for this reason only:

-------------------------

Benjamin Phranklin.

Been Pilfered.

Archived