Kill Me now, or Help

Hayabusa

I have to read a million Wikipedia articles for a class at school. Our prof wanted to save us money, so instead of having a connected and easy to follow textbook, we have to read shit on wikipedia and try to make sense of it somehow.

I dont know what the fuck to do....theres so much more reading to be done, and i really dont feel like doing it cuz its hard to follow, but at the same time, im a little worried that i will fail if i dont read shit. However, lectures are very informative and tie things together well, and touch on important subjects as well, so i am at a loss. Should i mainly pay attention and focus in lecture, and pay less attention to the readings, or should i lose all social life and contact with humans to do these fucking readings?

What would you do>?

Im considering only half assing the readings, doing the first midterm, which isnt worth too much, and seeing how i do, and depending on my performance, i will change my approach accordingly....

thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Man, wtf, why are you asking 12oz about whether or not you should do what is required of your class.

Do you really think that you're not going to get all kinds of dumbass answers and suggestions?

Go fucking read that shit and stop trying to be a slacker, real slackers are slackers without trying, you sound like you're trying.

Step 1 = print out the "1 million articles"

Step 2 = go to the library, away from distractions like 12oz

Step 3 = highlight any and all important pieces of info in said articles

Step 4 = re-read articles, string together information

Step 5 = (optional) get a study partner. Two heads are better than 1 and with someone there to keep you on track you are sure to get more done

Step 6 = study like hell for your tests

"im a little worried that i will fail if i dont read shit."

- oh, ya think?

you're not feeling good about this because you're online fucking around when you should be getting your work done

actually, a regular textbook for a class requires 40 pages tops of reading per week

This is what we had to read for one week

(theres more but it couldnt fit)

III. ROMAN LEGACY

21. Rhetoric and letters

- Quintilian (35 - 95)

- Cicero (106–43 CE)

- Justinian’s Corpus Juris Civilis (534)

22. Ars Memoria: Mnemonic technique

- Simonides of Ceos (ca. 556 BCE - 469 BCE)

- Rhetorica ad Herennium ca. 85 BCE

- Augustine of Hippo (354-430)

23. Roman History and Law

- Pliny the Elder (Gaius Plinius Secundus), (23–79 CE)

- Publius (or Gaius) Cornelius Tacitus (c. 56 – c. 117)

- Mestrius Plutarchus (Greek: Πλούταρχος; c. 46- 127)

- Sallustius Crispus, AKA Sallust, (86-34 BCE)

- Decline

IV. MEDIEVAL EUROPE and NEAR EAST

24. Light off the page: Culture of the book:

- Hildegard of Bingen - alternatively, in German as, von Bingen or in Latin as, Bingensis, also known as, Blessed Hildegard and Saint Hildegard, (1098 – 1179)

- Maimonides (1135 or 1138 - 1204)

- Thomas Aquinas (c.1225-1274)

- Dante; Durante degli Alighieri (c. 1265 – 1321)

25. Minstrels and troubadours

26. Block prints, heraldry, codex, and cathedrals

27. The clock and lens

- Lewis Mumford *

28. Arabic learning & rhetoric, Persian poetry

29. “The Middle Ages” Geopolitics of faith, trade, and war

V. RENAISSANCE

30. Humanism, memory and the reinvention of Classical Antiquity

31. Memory, erotic magic, and new arts of persuasion

- Giulio Camillo Delminio (1480 - 1544)

- Giordano Bruno (1548–1600)

- Opera, and new music

- Sculpture and the arts

- Ioan Couliano *

32. Communication, strategy, and arts politic

- Nicollo Machiavelli (1469 – 1527)

- Baldassare Castiglione (1478–1529)

- Erasmus (c. 1469 – 1563)

- Robert Greene *

33. Perspective and print: New ways of seeing

- Filippo Brunelleschi (1377 – 1446)

- Lorenzo Ghiberti (born Lorenzo di Bartolo) (1378 – 1455)

- Leone Battista Alberti (1404 – 1472)

- Johannes Gensfleisch zur Laden zum Gutenberg (c. 1398 – c. 1468)

- Albrecht Dürer (1471 – 1528)

36. New worlds: dawn of the age of discovery

- Maps

- Scientific revolution

- Compass

VI. REFORMATION & AGE OF RELIGIOUS DISCORD

34. The Reformation: Print and polemics

- Martin Luther (1483 – 1546)

- Ignatius of Loyola, also known as Ignacio (Íñigo) López de Loyola (1491 – 1556)

- John Calvin (July 10, 1509 – May 27, 1564)

- Counter Reformation

- Elizabeth Eisenstein *

Believe me, im by no means a slacker, and am a good student, but even i wont do certain shit, and i KNOW for a fact that 90% of the other kids in the class aint doing shit either

its ridiculous

not to mention the fact that anyone can fuck around with wikipedia (and someone did with one of the entries)

so its all relative

id rather pay 100$ for a coherent textbook

i love reading about roman times; good stuff.

But on the other hand, I would be extremely outraged if the prof said to read wiki; it's written by anyone, not a credible source.

Maybe you should follow a link or two from each section, to something more credible and legit. It might help speed up the reading.

i love reading about roman times; good stuff.

But on the other hand, I would be extremely outraged if the prof said to read wiki; it's written by anyone, not a credible source.

Maybe you should follow a link or two from each section, to something more credible and legit. It might help speed up the reading.

you are such a fucking student i somehow feel obligated to corrupt you profoundly.

Attention HAYABUSA, I have gone out of my way to write you a serious reply...PLEASE READ. (from a perspective of a fellow student)

Nah man, you dont have to do all that reading. Make sure you show up to all classes, take notes and know the information well.....

Then with the additional reading, just know a few important key points about every topic they ask you to read. For example i had to read about some new employment law that was being passed through the suggested document was like 20-30 pages. I just googled/wikipedia'd the topic and just made sure I knew

1- Definition (What the law is)

2- those who are for it, those against it and why

3-Advantages and disadvantages.

Through knowing just that i was able to develop my own opinion and discuss the matter in class and be able to objectively/subjectively write an essay on the matter when it came up in the finals.

Because of the nature of communications/management units they require you to develop your own opinion and take into account the view points of others before writing a conclusion so again you dont need to read 40 pages to be able to come up with the right info.

Also NOONE IS EXPECTED TO RETAIN ALL THAT INFORMATION

Here,

23. Roman History and Law-

- Pliny the Elder (Gaius Plinius Secundus)

- Publius (or Gaius)

- Mestrius Plutarchus

- Sallustius Crispus, AKA Sallust

- Decline

Without even knowing ANYTHING on Roman History I cant tell you that all you have to do is look those guys up, find out who they were and what they did that was significant and historians various opinions of them. It talks about the decline just find out what happened that caused this decline eg- (decline in power?, were key players abolished? etc)