GRINDHOUSE

DEE38

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they held the premiere of grindhouse at one of the actual grindhouse theaters in downtown l.a. along broadway. broadway was the spot to see these type of exploitation flicks in the late 60's, 70's, and 80's. crazy that they'd have all of these stars at a premiere in a dirty run down theater.

also down the street from me at a local theater, tarantino is showcasing his personal favorite grindhouse-exploitation flicks from his collection. been going on for about the past month. all double features. i may have to check it out this weekend.

Consider the formula...

"In one scene, a cute, topless girl is roughly tied down on a table by evil female Nazi experimenters who begin draining her blood and, as she screams in agony, they brand her like livestock with a coal-hot steel swastika," our source said. "And every girl in the Nazi concentration camp is topless."

+

"There's a part where Jordan Ladd [daughter of Cheryl Ladd of 'Charlie's Angels'] is in a car with her boyfriend and giving him [oral sex] when she lovingly reaches to stroke his hair and discovers his neck is just a bloody stump - some maniac had just cut off his head while she was in the act."

X

Later, a frisky cheerleader climbs onto a trampoline and begins stripping naked as she jumps up and down until she does a split and her skirt blows up without panties underneath

+

Another jolting scene shows a grossly obese man chewing on a baby.

= GREATEST MOVIE EVER.

I had absolutely zero interest in this movie until I read this...I'm so fuckin there

kill bill was Terrible with a capital T. that movie got so much hype and it sucked.

uma thurmans japanese was fucking terrible and the whole part about how she wanted to

get a japanese sword but then the whole film she is using a chinese sword style.

i know most people wont get that, well i did, and it was annoying to me because i

really like asian films and like memoirs of a geisha using chinese actresses, i dont like hollywood

gloss overs that underestimates the audiences intelligence.

the biggest thing that bugs me is that his ideas always have alot of potential.

so his stuff is not terrible like say a shaq movie but to me they are frustrating because

he does genres that i really like and i want to like his stuff but they always seem snobbish

like hey im a film geek and im going to rip off parts of an exploitation flick.

the people that know i ripped it off will see it as tribute and all those that didnt

see the film i ripped it off from will just think im the greatest director to have ever lived.

when i watch the behind the scenes stuff i just cant stand what a nerd he is.

i liked resevoir dogs, and pulp fiction but hes gone down hill from there.

with that said, im definitely going to see this because i like rodriguezs stuff and i hope quentins is just

as good.

chinese sword style you sound like the comic book guy from simpsons

i had mixed feelings about it. some really good and the rest really boring.

i liked rodriguezs more than tarrantinos he had way too much dialog.

i just felt that neither had much of a story. but there was alot of funny shit.

id say wait until the dvd comes out. seems like alot of stuff was cut out

and it was way too fucking long. 3 1/2 hours took a toll on my legs.

i saw this tonight. i think i liked the robert rodriguez movie better -- which was a surprise, since i'm a tarantino fan. tarantino's film seemed to drag on with that pulp-fiction-like dialogue... and this being the exploitation/grindhouse drama, i thought more action than dialogue was needed. and the women in his film were annoying -- overtly uncouth tomboyish and masculine women that talked, ate, and cursed like men, with the stereotypical bad-attitude angry black woman, some aussie/newzeland girl trying to be a daredevil retard... tarantino's acting and chemistry with the actors never seems to really fit in. he tends to like to make awkward cameo appearences in his movies. he's like the puff daddy of film. other than that both movies kept me interested

verdict: planet terror - B+

death proof - B -

grindhouse overall (with faux trailers, etc) - B+

I will watch this.

Sounds decent enough.

Was there any point in the movie that could be described as 'poignant'?

I saw Tarantino on the Clerks 2 extras and he said that word like 5 or 6 times and seemed really excited everytime he said it. Everytime I hear or read something baout him now all I hear is poignant and think of his massive chin.

I just saw this movie tonight; I thought it was pretty awesome. I actually caught the trailer for Rob Zombies remake of Halloween, it looks like it could be pretty bad ass, but who knows. Anyway, back to grindhouse. Yeah, rose McGowan looks hot, but I always think she looks hot. But let's just say she is especially hot in Planet Terror. Planet Terror was a great homage to the ultra gory low budget slash 'em up zombie flix I grew up watching. The fake trailers were funny as hell. If anyone has ever seen any low budget horror/slasher flix they will enjoy them, “Thanksgiving” was definitely the best one.

Death Proof definitely had Tarintino all over it as far as the dialog, but it didn’t bother me. It acted as appropriate filler to bridge the action scenes. I mean, Death Proof was his take on a classic car chase/stalker flick. It doesn’t have the same type of action that Planet Terror had nor did it have the same type of action that most Tarantino flix have. When the movie was over, I went to take a piss and some dude started talking to me about Death Proof. As it is I don’t like people talking to me when I’m pissing, but he, like many of the bitch “critics” I’ve been hearing, kept complaining about the dialog being too long. I didn’t really get into a conversation with him since 1. My dick was in my hand and I was pissing and 2. He was obviously a pretentious movie geek, who would never accept anyone else’s opinion other than his own. Honestly, every Tarantino movie I’ve seen has excessive dialog, and when I say excessive I don’t mean that as a negative. So, I don’t understand what people expect from Death Proof. It’s a really simple plot, so I can’t see why some people can’t understand why the dialog is there. I’m not going to get into it so as to not spoil anything for people who haven’t seen it yet.

Anyway, I liked both films a lot and I plan on seeing Grindhouse again. It’s worth the $9.50 and the 3 hours, but that’s just me. I mean, I was always a fan of those low budget flix. I grew up renting them at the local indy video stores, back in the days of vhs and before Block Buster came in and choked all the indy video shops out of existence.

I just saw this movie tonight; I thought it was pretty awesome. I actually caught the trailer for Rob Zombies remake of Halloween, it looks like it could be pretty bad ass, but who knows. Anyway, back to grindhouse. Yeah, rose McGowan looks hot, but I always think she looks hot. But let's just say she is especially hot in Planet Terror. Planet Terror was a great homage to the ultra gory low budget slash 'em up zombie flix I grew up watching. The fake trailers were funny as hell. If anyone has ever seen any low budget horror/slasher flix they will enjoy them, “Thanksgiving” was definitely the best one.

It acted as appropriate filler to bridge the action scenes. I mean, Death Proof was his take on a classic car chase/stalker flick. Honestly, every Tarantino movie I’ve seen has excessive dialog, and when I say excessive I don’t mean that as a negative. So, I don’t understand what people expect from Death Proof. It’s a really simple plot, so I can’t see why some people can’t understand why the dialog is there. I’m not going to get into it so as to not spoil anything for people who haven’t seen it yet.

just saw it. i liked it very much. i thought the dialog on deathproof isn't just filler to bridge though, it really set the tone of those characters. those trailers really grab me by the balls.... hilarious. well spent 10 dollars for me in a long while.

just saw it. i liked it very much. i thought the dialog on deathproof isn't just filler to bridge though, it really set the tone of those characters. those trailers really grab me by the balls.... hilarious. well spent 10 dollars for me in a long while.

well that's what i meant about the dialog, but i really didn't want to get into it, cause if i did i felt i would drop some spolers. but yeah, it's to help the audience empathize with the both sets of girls.

and yes the trailers were awesome:

"don't

don't

don't

don't

don't"

I thoroughly enjoyed both movies. I love the way there was a 12 or 13 year old kid with his dad to see the movie at the theater I was at.

i was suprised to see atleast 4 families there with the kids leaving changed forever.

the thanksgiving trampoline was hilarious.

yeah with the family tied to the chairs and the human turkey all tied up. definitely my favorite trailor

what do you guys think of rob zombies stuff? house of 1000s corpses blew, the sequel was cool but kinda got lost in the end, i guess this halloween prequel will show what he can do with other peoples stuff. i dont think it can be any worse than the hills have eyes, hitcher and texas chainsaw massacre prequels.