Graffiti's effect on paint manufacturers

Lew Blum

Maybe this has been covered already but i couldnt find anything on it.

With all the new, awesome American Accents colors coming out, the changing valve systems, and success of Euro paint, i always wonder what impact graffiti writers have on the paint market, both spray and bucket, if any.

I can remember back in the day when Krylon came out with that shitty painters Choice or whatever it was with the male system that people thought it was to deter people from using different caps and using it for graffiti. Years later when i first got ahold of some green apple i thought jesus, somebody at this company has to know this is gonna be a great color in a good thickness and will be perfect for writing graffiti.

Think about it. When i think of the average person using spray paint, i think of somebody buying one or 2 cans of a certain color to cover up a ding on their mower or to paint some type of hobby thing. They may use half a can, and then it sits there on a shelf for years until their kid gets ahold of it and the graffiti fascination blooms.

Now when i think of somebody getting paint for graf, i think of somebody going into Home Depot and buying anywhere from 5 to 20 cans of paint, or conversley racking that amount. Now multiply that by every kid doing peices on freight trains and every chill spot youve ever been to with layer upon layer of peices and think how much paint is actually being used. I feel that either for good or bad, graffiti has to be influencing sales of spraypaint, and thus the way its produced. namsayin?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the new pump system you can atleast try out more houehold caps then you could before..if it wasnt for us, spraypaint wouldnt have lasted more than 10 years when it came out on the market. but euro companies are always coming up with new caps all the time. they'll probaly have a full line of caps out before the end of the year. or you can just use the ones of the Montana classic cans.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that writers must account for half (or more) of american spray paint consumption. Far more when it comes to European brands.

The new American Accents/ Painter's Touch colors that started coming out in the last year or two seem like they had to be an effort to appeal to a market that has largely switched to the much greater color spectrum of European paint. But what, then, is the explanation for this switch to a male valve system? Are they seriously that ignorant about the needs of (probably) their single largest market? Assuming that they aren't totally cluless, and that they realize that writers use different caps, what would make them go through with the switch? Is it an attempt to curb graffiti, or do they have a totally unrelated motivation, and hope that we will simply adapt by finding new caps to use on their products? I don't know, but shit is alarming. I just got back from Home Depot, where I was planning to use a $100 store credit to re-up on AA colors. I ended up just getting a bunch of Gloss Black and White Primer Rustos, because they had next to no American Accents, and virtually all of the Painter's Touch that they had were the new male cans (including the black).

Ive just been going around to different home depots and hardware stores to get the last of the female cap american accents and painters touch. on a somewhat related topic do you think that the rustoleum company will change their regular rustoleum to a male cap system?

Graffiti is definitly the main source for the purchase of spray paint. It's crazy when you think about how many cans are used each year and how many are produced and just tossed in the grass at your chill spot, the the paint just gets covered up by more paint, and so on.

crazyyyy

err... no doubt. Companies dont care about anything but their bottom line.

aside from the occasional home project how many people use spray paint

truth of the matter is... spray paint sucks for pretty much everything else

except for what we do with it.

If writers stop using the paint because the male caps suck and they see

their profits shrink i want to think they will change back