mixtapes are illegal now??

transparent

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, I can understand that... I just don't see how so many dj's that are claiming to be music innovators and the like, I don't understand how they can make an album and use the hook from someone else's song and stuff like that. Isn't that like straight stealing unless they got prior permission to do so?

Yeah, I can understand that... I just don't see how so many dj's that are claiming to be music innovators and the like, I don't understand how they can make an album and use the hook from someone else's song and stuff like that. Isn't that like straight stealing unless they got prior permission to do so?

well, technically, but hip hop's always been about using existing music to make your beats, and occasionally using existing hooks and choruses, and appropriating them for your songs.

i am picturing a detail like on the wire with a bunch of cops thinking about how theyre gonna take down the criminals who bootlegged all those compact discs....i mean this was a strategized raid on these dudes like some FBI or ATF mahfuckas busted in the door and took everything....over some fucking compact discs????????

lol wiretaps and hand to handsto get whoever put out that new jeezy.....i heard dj clue is dropping the dj and just wants to be called clue...graff is no longer the only illegal element of hip hop

You can sample something like ten seconds without permission. That's why beats are so cut and chopped and looped up. Mixtapes on the other hand.... I dunno, I'd imagine they could do the same shit to radio djs technically. What are they going to crusade against radio next? They are going to have to clarify the laws on this bullshit most likely.

You could see this coming though, the way they pulled proprietary shit to include video mixes off YouTube. Nothing new really, more of the same, except now we can clearly see this is not about artists rights or intellectual property rights at all but this is the doing of the record execs trying to squeeze more money.

radio djs are alowed to play songs that they record companys send to them, so the have permisson. then radio decides if it will air ont the radio, they why you rarey hear any local music on the radio unless its a local music showcase. the only reason they are going after tese mix tapes is to make money. same shit as closing of napster and tying to areest people from p2p sites downloading music and sharing it. but it is a catch 22 if you were a recording artist and some we3ak ass dj was making money of your shit how would you fell? he is taking away your earnings,