there's some super 'edge' kid in my shop right now...

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think ABC is on point with this. Old School Hip Hop was very DIY. It resembled the DIY hardcore scene very closely. Now Hip Hop is all blown out and shit, but thats happening to hardcore as well.

Hatebreed was born out of the hardcore scene, as was Glassjaw, Converge, Quicksand. Hell, even the Coheed and Cambria kids were all hardcore kids even if their music isn't hardcore. They were on Equal Vision Records. Bands like Hawthorne Hieghts, My Chemical Romance, The Used have all made their careers ripping off hardcore bands like Glassjaw. It's the MTV version of hardcore. They might as well have been boy bands.

Theres still a real solid underground hardcore DIY scene and that may be what sets it apart from todays HIP HOP. Even the underground Hip Hop is all about blowing up, where as the underground hardcore scene still frowns upon major label dealings and high garauntees.

The thing ive never understood is what is wrong with making money, and lots of it, doing something you love. I can understand if you are mediocre at best and do it just to get paid, but if you genuinely have skill at what you do, I dont think there is anything wrong with getting behind big labels. More money behind you = more exposure = more money.

Theres still a real solid underground hardcore DIY scene and that may be what sets it apart from todays HIP HOP. Even the underground Hip Hop is all about blowing up, where as the underground hardcore scene still frowns upon major label dealings and high garauntees.

that mentality in undreground hip hop is only a very recent thing though. i think with the underground it is more a case of having your own label and having that blow up, a la rocafella, cash money, aftermath etc

EDIT- This is in response to mr yuck up there.

It is usually associated with a general decline in the quality of the product being pushed. As more exposure comes, more of a want to appeal to a wider base usually occurs and thus a diluting of the principal concepts the artist probably founded themselves upon.

More money behind you = more exposure = less ability to deviate from norms = wider appreciating audience = more money = you being a label's bitch.

actually, most of the disdain twards major labels is attributed to the lack of ownership and control of your product. making some money honestly is an ok thing, but finding out your song is being used in a beer add or a car add or that your being advertised in the same magazines as alot of things you dont support politicaly can fuck you up.

shit my bad i exaggerated. i should have clarified instead of making a vast understatement.

i was commenting on present day hiphop. it seems like it has completely been taken over by corporations. instead of a participant i feel like a consumer on the side lines as i watch mtv and everyone else run it for what its worth. hopefully once they are done with it theres something that remains for people that still enjoy it.

i have no clue about hardcore today. but as much i love the idea of underground i think its selfish. theres no reason why bands like endpoint or avail shouldnt be making tons of cash. they deserve being on mtv touring the planet. but it would kill me to see dorks rocking their shirts and blasting the music out of their moms blazer. i hope this makes sense.

actually, most of the disdain twards major labels is attributed to the lack of ownership and control of your product. making some money honestly is an ok thing, but finding out your song is being used in a beer add or a car add or that your being advertised in the same magazines as alot of things you dont support politicaly can fuck you up.

i was basically equating what i was saying about broader appeal and changing the product, to corporate control over the product. whatevs, pickin through minutia at the this point

I always see the Nation of Islam dudes selling their paper at this flea market i go to in the ghetto. I always try to buy one but whenever I ask they just turn away from me and walk the other way not say a word at all...

_1874787_nol.jpg

something tells me they may not like white people...

I am not out there to be mean. Just pick up some defect af1's for 25$ maybe hot some subs and amps. Some pr0n dvds for 2$ the newest reggaeton bootlegs $15 ps2 games and hit up some ethnic food while I walk around... then pick up the good word on the way out...