there's some super 'edge' kid in my shop right now...

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think sxe kids have good intentions but fall real short of making a change

in anyone outside their AA circles.

im surprised there arent more sxe kids becoming cops like their jock counterparts.

most cops are big drinkers.

i know this one kid who was "edge" and lost his edge after becoming a nypd cop. obviously his convictions weren't all that strong about it.

i don't understand why these kids make such a big deal about being "edge". ok you don't drink or do drugs...........wow. good for you. do you have to advertise it? do i, or anyone else really care?

NO!

he's getting a big tattoo of a skull with 5 cigarettes in it's mouth and a banner that says 'SUCKER'.

maybe it's just me but that seems like the gayest shit in the world.

that's like getting a tattoo of a dude sucking another dudes dick with a banner that says 'i hate faggots'. reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetaaaaaaaarrrrrrrdddddddd.

good point

i like making fun of sxe because i used to be a part of it. just to defend it to a certain extent

sxe is difficult to explain to people not involved with hardcore music but sxe is actually pretty cool.

(to an extent) its no different from say graffiti in the sense of being a subculture of a bunch of

white guys with a few girls . but the thing that makes graffiti so great is that theres not much

ideology.

sxe is basically the gathering of like minded individuals that dont need substances in order to live

their lives. most other subcultures almost require you to tune out, to be different by doing a

substance. this one subculture is being different by going to the opposite extreme by promoting a

poison free lifestlye. people put on shows without promoters, start record labels themselves, create

zines and interview other bands from different cities, sell records of bands from other countries for

like $3-6 a lp. these diy punk rock attributes are really the thing that is so fucking great about

hardcore music in general. what the hell has hiphop done that even remotely compares to this? its

always about $25 door prices for half rate acts that are not good live, no lyric sheets, which is

supposedly the art of the medium, and a culture that promotes the selling of drugs, violence and

being a thug. youd be hard pressed to find an lp cheaper than $20, most of the hiphop shows are at

places like house of blues which hike the door price up to $50 and require a dress code. when people

do actually try and bring something different to the plate by making their own record label and put

their own take on hiphop everyone screams for them to conform.

with that said. sxe kids dont really do much positive things really. they preach to the already

converted. they immediately shun all those who were once sxe but dropped out, they shun any

spirituality even when it mimics the very essence of their ideology because god is poison as well i

guess. most sxe kids just sleep with all the girls that are there. its like mini degrassi jr high but

people have tattoos and low cut vans. they all pass eachother around. each person leads the pack

with how different they can be by hating meat, or vegans hating vegetarians, or vegans that dont

drive because theres animal byproducts in the tires, or dont take pictures, or ride skateboards,

collect vinyl or tapes because theres some sort of pig products in the making of them. shit just gets

ridiculous after awhile. that sucks that some have gone in the direction of hard-edge, which is

basically a skinhead version of sxe. they beat up others that do something they dont. but there are

many groups like billingsgate which said you call it hard-edge but i call it hard headed.

im just playing devils advocate and give a different side to whatever people have been saying. when

it comes down to it ideology just fucks it up and these people are truly lost souls. there are many

good people that ive met within this culture. but yeah at the end of the day not smoking a cigarette

doesnt merit a tattoo and a turn on the soap box to preach to the masses.

sorry i just listened to some 7 inches and did a few hardcore jumps and felt like sharing.:lol:

its definitely just as cool as having to sleep in until 1pm because you feel like shit from drinking too much the night before.

Or how bout you just live life in moderation not get bad tattoos and leave a normal life sampling the pleasures that it brings?

what the fuck do they talk about? How is that life considered cool in anyway unless you have been an addict and know what the bottom of the barrel is like?

Well I haven't been at the bottom of the barrel, but I have been the son of someone who has. My drug addict, alchoholic, abusive dad beat the living shit out of me just about everyday until I was old enough to whip his ass, he cheated on my mom constantly, lost the house him and I built by hand to the bank because all his money went to bullshit addictions, and almost succeded in pushing my then pregnant sister down a flight of stairs so he could steal 150 bucks from her.

Moderation isn't the only answer, especially in this day and age. It's as easy to say as abstinence, but even harder for alot of people to acomplish. i swear a good half the world sufferes from an addictive personality, and horrible self image issues, add, depression, whatever else you can think of. to most of those people serious moderation is more dangerous that just abstaining. i have a horrible temper, terribly addictive personality, serious bouts of depression not to mention my serious self destructive habits. If i were to atempt moderation i garauntee you i would become my dad.

However, I think straight edge is completely wrong for alot of people. SMART for one. he needs to smoke some weed to calm his mind down enough to sleep. i know lots of others like this. some kids will freak out if given too many rules. thats why lots of sXe kids fall off so damn hard. all preachy one day with eighty gagillion rules and the next they shoot heroin into their eyelids. the emptiest barrel makes the most noise, so its the kids that always shout about it that have the shakey foundation. straight edge was never about music, style, or friends to me. it was about not being my dad. stopping that patern.

theres no easy answer. you cant just say. oh yeah thats gay you should do it this way because everyone is wired differently with different levels of context. so this works for me. id be the worst person you knew if i wasnt walking this path. i happen to agree with most of you guys on the behavior of 98 % percent of sXe kids, but its no fucking differnt than the behaviour of 98% of drunks, addicts and the self rietchously moderated. everyone is a fucking shitbag in some form. we all do things we cant defend and we all try to say our grass is greener than the others while longing for greener grass....its total horse shit.

if it works for you then do you. if not figure it out.

ive been sXe since i was 13. im 33. try telling me about moderation again.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
Well I haven't been at the bottom of the barrel, but I have been the son of someone who has. My drug addict, alchoholic, abusive dad beat the living shit out of me just about everyday until I was old enough to whip his ass, he cheated on my mom constantly, lost the house him and I built by hand to the bank because all his money went to bullshit addictions, and almost succeded in pushing my then pregnant sister down a flight of stairs so he could steal 150 bucks from her.

Moderation isn't the only answer, especially in this day and age. It's as easy to say as abstinence, but even harder for alot of people to acomplish. i swear a good half the world sufferes from an addictive personality, and horrible self image issues, add, depression, whatever else you can think of. to most of those people serious moderation is more dangerous that just abstaining. i have a horrible temper, terribly addictive personality, serious bouts of depression not to mention my serious self destructive habits. If i were to atempt moderation i garauntee you i would become my dad.

However, I think straight edge is completely wrong for alot of people. SMART for one. he needs to smoke some weed to calm his mind down enough to sleep. i know lots of others like this. some kids will freak out if given too many rules. thats why lots of sXe kids fall off so damn hard. all preachy one day with eighty gagillion rules and the next they shoot heroin into their eyelids. the emptiest barrel makes the most noise, so its the kids that always shout about it that have the shakey foundation. straight edge was never about music, style, or friends to me. it was about not being my dad. stopping that patern.

theres no easy answer. you cant just say. oh yeah thats gay you should do it this way because everyone is wired differently with different levels of context. so this works for me. id be the worst person you knew if i wasnt walking this path. i happen to agree with most of you guys on the behavior of 98 % percent of sXe kids, but its no fucking differnt than the behaviour of 98% of drunks, addicts and the self rietchously moderated. everyone is a fucking shitbag in some form. we all do things we cant defend and we all try to say our grass is greener than the others while longing for greener grass....its total horse shit.

if it works for you then do you. if not figure it out.

ive been sXe since i was 13. im 33. try telling me about moderation again.

Drink Diet Coke in moderation

thats all pretty on point. ive been edge for about 11 years now, and it works fine for me, although the older i get, the less and less having that label really means. i have nothing to prove to anyone. being pure, or "better" than somebody else and all that isnt some ultimate goal of mine, nor is converting a bunch of people. my life is just easier without adding in being drunk or high, or worrying about paying for an addiction, like literally forking over money for drugs or whatever.

some of my best friends are still edge, some broke edge and are doing fine, some have always been drunks and some have always been able to do whatever they want and still maintain their life. some of them really need to step back and figure out if they can have alcohol in their life at all. just like KOH said, for some people moderation is not enough.

at this point i dont give a fuck what anyone does as long as its not affecting me, or as long as its not a friend of mine fucking their life up.

KOH I relate to that in many ways. Im not straightedge but Im not into any drugs and i rarely drink....because I know what happens when I do.

Way to go dude. Its all too often I see people go right down the path of their shitbag parents. Its nice to hear stories of folks who beat the cycle.

you're joking right?

in a way yes but in a way no. ive never been to a hiphop show for less than $10 (all local acts at a bar), underground hiphop was cool while it lasted but in the end its always about making money. there are still people out there doing their thing for the love of hiphop but the majority only do it for the money. hardcore is done strictly for the love of the music or the medium. no one makes money. hiphop to me is just another engine of capitalism. there are positive things about hiphop but the negative far out way them. ive never felt i was anything more than a consumer of hiphop. and the thing is i dj. when i was into hardcore i never even played in a band i felt more a part of it than i ever have with hiphop. maybe its a race thing. i dont know. im still a fan. i still dj. but its because i still enjoy it.

i cant agree more with koh on sxe. the people that always last longer in remaining straight are the ones that do it for themselves rather than for/with others. sxe has always been a positive thing in my life. im extreme in substance abuse as well. im either 100% straight or 100% drunk or high. its very difficult for me to moderate my intake. but in the end it was the other sxe people that turned me off.