david beckham to play for L.A. Galaxy

Theo Huxtable.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never accept this argument. How can you tell me that a game that is none-stop action for 90 minutes is more boring than an hour long football game that takes 5 hours to actually play, and baseball, undoubtedly THE most tedious, agonizing sport to watch are more exciting? And if it's violence, and aggression, and "sweet hits" that make a game entertaining, then why the hell is rugby not the number one sport there?

Most of it goes back to the fact that soccer just isn't a traditional sport there, by which I mean kids aren't brought up on it (or should I say weren't, since it is now the most popular sport among kids in North America). Up until the MLS there was not a true, structured professional league, not taking in to account the NASL which was just a disasterous marketing ploy, and that didn't arrive until what, 1996? But it seems at times that Americans go out of their way to not accept it, look at Jim Rome, the ultimate American "sports-fan" douchebag. It's an ingrained fear of change, of accepting and, god forbid, EMBRACING something that the rest of the world created. The fear that globalization will completely destroy what it is to be "American". Americans are proud and patriotic people, but is it really such a scary thought that your son might want to watch the Galaxy instead of the Dodgers? I mean really who cares?

Theo, you should seriously read that book I reccomended, I think you'd enjoy it.

it's better than the argument i countered, which some aussie said that it wasn't big in the states because we didn't "invent" it and because the US isn't good at it on an international level. volleyball was invented in the states and most people here think it's boring. and there are sports here that are popular that the us didn't invent. i don't think when someone here doesn't find a soccer game exciting, what's on their mind is where it was invented or what can be done in the world cup. the US women's soccer team is pretty good; won the World Cup a few years back as well as a Gold and a Silver medal in the olympics. still boring.

as far as those lame attacks on football, baseball, (and you forgot basketball); it's all a matter of opinion.

in your second paragraph you basically just said the same thing i said that you "disagreed" with -- that it never spread in the U.S. and really took root here; hence kids not having the chance to grow up playing. yes, the MLS league is new. yes soccer has only began to spread here within the last 10 years -- more and more high school teams are adopting it and it's being taken more seriously on the college level. no one feels their "american" values are threatened by watching soccer; that's ridiculous. many people like the NHL, big deal. it's still possible to like soccer while liking football, baseball, and basketball. i doubt soccer would surpass football or basketball in popularity here, even if it does become popular.

you say people here go out of their way to not "accept" it -- for one, i accept it as a sport, i just don't watch it because it's boring. i have gone out of my way to TRY to like it and was bored out of my mind. i've watched world cups and olympics and tried to like it, and attended a few galaxy games on the sideline as a press photographer. bored each time. i even watched the worldcup championship where the US women beat china. i was still bored. a win on a penalty kick? lame.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=400198&cc=5901&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

MADRID, Spain -- David Beckham was belittled by Real Madrid's president Tuesday as a Hollywood wannabe spurned by most of the world's top soccer teams.

Team president Ramon Calderon, in comments expected to further sour relations between Beckham and the Spanish club, said the English midfielder joined the Los Angeles Galaxy because there were no other takers.

"The proof that our technical staff was correct not to retain him has been borne out by every other technical staff in the world not wanting him even though he was out of contract," Calderon said in a speech to university students that was broadcast by Cadena COPE radio station.

He added: "David Beckham is going to be some sort of film actor living in Hollywood."

Beckham spokesman Simon Oliveira said he would not respond to the comments.

In a statement on its Web site Tuesday, Madrid criticized Cadena COPE for making Calderon's remarks public.

"Real Madrid wishes to express its surprise and indignation because a journalist from La COPE ... has violated the intimacy of a private function which attempted to be academic in its content and nature, and has turned it into an act of disloyalty and disrespect toward the university, the students present and the good faith of the president," the team said.

The former England captain announced last Thursday he would join the Galaxy in a five-year deal, reportedly worth $250 million, starting in August.

Madrid coach Fabio Capello responded two days later by saying Beckham would no longer play for the team now that he has committed to another club, and would only train with teammates. That has left Beckham with the prospect of no competitive soccer for six months.

Beckham trained with the team and attended a players' lunch at a Madrid restaurant Tuesday. He hasn't won a major trophy since joining the club from Manchester United in 2003.

Beckham's spokesman said Monday the midfielder hopes to fulfill the remaining 5½ months of his contract.

If Major League Soccer were to work out a transfer with Real Madrid -- including paying the Spanish team a percentage of Beckham's $11.3 million salary on top of a transfer fee -- the deal would have to be completed before the transfer window on international players closes Jan. 31.

"We would love to have David Beckham at the earliest opportunity, but I'm not holding my breath," Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas told The Associated Press on Monday. "We have structured everything based upon the assumption that he is going to be available after the season with Real Madrid."

For the amount of money Beckham is going to get paid they could have singed like 15 or 20 good young players that could really had an impact on the game over there in America, now they get an old dude who peaked a while ago.

i think the symbolic significance of acquiring beckham will be of a greater impact to MLS and soccer in America as a whole, as opposed to getting a bunch of "good young players." i think that's mainly what they're banking on. plus beckham will probably sell out stadiums. the few galaxy games i was at; the arena was always about half full. and that's pretty much the trend around the league, unless it's a championship game or a high-profile playoff.

it's better than the argument i countered, which some aussie said that it wasn't big in the states because we didn't "invent" it and because the US isn't good at it on an international level. volleyball was invented in the states and most people here think it's boring. and there are sports here that are popular that the us didn't invent. i don't think when someone here doesn't find a soccer game exciting, what's on their mind is where it was invented or what can be done in the world cup. the US women's soccer team is pretty good; won the World Cup a few years back as well as a Gold and a Silver medal in the olympics. still boring.

as far as those lame attacks on football, baseball, (and you forgot basketball); it's all a matter of opinion.

in your second paragraph you basically just said the same thing i said that you "disagreed" with -- that it never spread in the U.S. and really took root here; hence kids not having the chance to grow up playing. yes, the MLS league is new. yes soccer has only began to spread here within the last 10 years -- more and more high school teams are adopting it and it's being taken more seriously on the college level. no one feels their "american" values are threatened by watching soccer; that's ridiculous. many people like the NHL, big deal. it's still possible to like soccer while liking football, baseball, and basketball. i doubt soccer would surpass football or basketball in popularity here, even if it does become popular.

you say people here go out of their way to not "accept" it -- for one, i accept it as a sport, i just don't watch it because it's boring. i have gone out of my way to TRY to like it and was bored out of my mind. i've watched world cups and olympics and tried to like it, and attended a few galaxy games on the sideline as a press photographer. bored each time. i even watched the worldcup championship where the US women beat china. i was still bored. a win on a penalty kick? lame.

Whoa, I'm not making "lame attacks" on you or your sports. I thought everyone was actually having a good debate about this, and then suddenly, like always, you take everything personally. Good for you if you've tried to enjoy soccer, nowhere did I say that you can't like more than one sport. But my point about globalization is still valid, it's an American thing in general, it's not just soccer, read what I said. I'm sure every single non-American on here will agree with me.

This seems like an alright idea. MLS never got the respect it deserves, we have some good players like, Adu, Rimando, Nolly, etc. but because of the overall level and fan base those kind players end up trying to make it in europe. I mean even Freddy Adu is trying to leave. Thats why he joined Real Salt Lake.

My prediction? Unless they start airing more games on regular tv soccer will have a hard time making it in the US regardless of David Beckhams.

i think the symbolic significance of acquiring beckham will be of a greater impact to MLS and soccer in America as a whole, as opposed to getting a bunch of "good young players." i think that's mainly what they're banking on. plus beckham will probably sell out stadiums. the few galaxy games i was at; the arena was always about half full. and that's pretty much the trend around the league, unless it's a championship game or a high-profile playoff.

Well that's true, but if a "big name" can't back it up with some real skills then it becomes some what contra productive. But I guess the big name thing is a bigger deal in the MLS then in most leagues in Europe. I'm sure the LA besed tabloids are happy though...

Go DC United!

^most americans can't recognize 'real skills' anyway. if he gets a few goals everyone will be happy. plus it's not like his competition is going to be near the level in europe.

after a year or two in LA he should move to a smaller city like columbus or something... somewhere that doesn't have another major sports team, to make soccer a bigger deal there.

MLS Fire make pitch to land Zidane

AFP

January 24, 2007

CHICAGO (AFP) - French star Zinedine Zidane, whose legendary career ended with an infamous head-butt in last year's World Cup final, has received a comeback offer from the Chicago Fire, a US newspaper reported.

Fire general manager John Guppy told the Chicago Tribune newspaper that his team and rivals from Major League Soccer have been in touch with the playmaker in hopes of luring him out of retirement, but all bids have been rejected.

"We reached out to Zidane," Guppy said. "But so has every other MLS club. The feedback we've all gotten is that he has retired."

Guppy said the Fire also made an offer to local product Brian McBride, a US World Cup standout who Guppy said will likely remain with Fulham of the English Premiership.

"We offered Brian a contract," Guppy said. "He said he would love to play in Chicago but needed to consider his options."

Guppy also said a bid also failed for Swedish forward Henrik Larsson, currently on loan with Manchester United.

The team is likely to look for a Polish or Mexican player to appeal to city ethnic groups that have been major supporters of the Fire.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblusamlsfrazidane&prov=afp&type=lgns