Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

graffiti addiction

acephale

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In a way, graffiti is like a 5 second vacation from my life. I'm talking about the feeling durring the act and there is nothing quite like it. For only moments, your on top of the world. There's nothing more personal than putting your name on a wall. And when you actually put your blood and sweat into it, and you hone your skill so it looks half way decent on a wall, well there is no greater fuck you than that. Sometimes it's your own little gay pseudo secret society where you are like one of the few people who can see the messages written on the walls lol. I know everyone has experienced this kind of "special feeling" at at least one point in their life. If you haven't then something is wrong with you and it's not just your VD.

Maybe some of you can find a shred or two of a coherant thought in all that haha.

my graff addiction is the hardest addiction to kick. I sobered up and gone clean for a year but couldn't completely stop writing. living NYC makes it that much hard, I'm confronted by it all the time. If I don't want to get high I stay away from where I know I be temped, you can't do that with graff in NYC. I'm confronted by it all day everyday.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

its an addiction that keeps me from thinking first. for example i put a marker in my pocket, i was out,theres cars,people,buildings that all could be spoting me, but i couldnt help myself. i was in an area im normally not it, and i wanted to let people know i was there, i was it the zone. i had the jitters but couldnt stop, there could have been a cop at the traffic light yet, i still threw it up on the places deemed worthy, with space. i just had to do another and another, j-walking in traffic so i could hit the parking lot dumpster. its funny to think but i forgot why i was even in the area, i forgot i was hungry, and that i was gonna meet up with someone. i lost control. this is just one example, it is a powerful addiction.

• 6 months later...
This is interesting. I don't know who the poster is, writer or otherwise though..

I don't know if anyone else knows what "Hypergraphia" is, if not, look it up.

In short, it is a 'disorder' where people write on things obsessively, and can be very talented or they can suck. I think all writers(those who bomb mainly) have a tiny touch of it. Usually it means writing in the english sense, but I don't see why it can't apply to writers too

just a thought

haha thats my name....

I used to take it all a little bit to seriously but now its just something I do that makes me happy. Sometimes I just wonder why the fuck I bother and then the next day I am gagging to do a train.

I agree with this guy, although dude put alot thought in this topic every1 has diff. reasons why they got in the game, I started writing after I graduated high school and started chillin wit cats that were gettin up fresh in my cities scene and I saw how they got down and thought it was dope, before I met them I didnt respect my cities graff game except for a few older writers who I always saw up, graffiti to me was what I saw in detroit i.e freeway hits, gang tags, etc., so the reason why I wanted to get up was to do bombs and tags and shit, but once I started to have style in my sketches, then walkin miles to piece up or bomb in 30 degree weather while its raining I knew this was somethen I took a lil seriously, people would say I was addicted even my crew was like damn bro I see your shit everywhere chill out, I had to step back and look at what I was doin and thats when I went from being a toy tagger, to havin respect for your own craft I started paintin by myself and workin with my own style and hittin nice spots for throw ups and untouched spots for tags, to me it became somethen I did for fun and enjoy similar to drinkin wit yours boys or a skate session, I couldnt do it like some cats and make it my life, I had a full time job with rent, bills, and debt to pay, so I got up when I had time which was usually at night around 2 am, nowadays I still work full time and go to school but somehow find time to piece up atleast once a week, and bomb on the weekends, id compare this addiction to gettin head from my girl, somethen I know I enjoy but dont have to get/do everyday