Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Genome's Guide To Getting Away With It

Genome

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so important that you don't cop an additude with a police officer. That just gives them more reason to pin you.

The one time I've been caught, I got off without a citation just by basically saying "sir" at every given moment, and in fact, helping the officer (through the trees by the bridge).

agree with all except your part on running. fuckin run man, ive blatted it 95% of the time form security, cops, random heros, and so what if you have to stay in one muggy wet place for an hour, ive done that too, on many a occasion, just be on to it

Like I said, you have to decide for yourself whether you can run. My advice isn't run/don't run - there are too many idiots on the forums saying shit like "Fuck, man, you always run." You bring the tools for the job, you know your exits, and you stay paranoid - but when the shit hits, you also need to be able to judge for yourself, and quickly, whether running is the best option in that particular situation.

In graff, like any other crime, there are no certainties, and no die-hard rules... you have to be willing to adapt to the situation at a moment's notice. I know a couple of people have posted stuff up on this thread that contradicts what I've said, and that's totally cool - I'm glad to give the new kids a chance to consider many different perspectives. All I'm saying for certain is that you need to be able to decide for yourself what the best course of action is, and it helps to know your options.

Let's keep up the good discussion, guys - I'd love to see this thread maybe get stickied for a while, which might just happen if we pay enough attention to developing and improving it.

I got one thing to add on the running part....

Please don't all run together... no seriously.. split the fuck up...

A few years ago I was out with some rookies.. we got rolled on by this cop. so we book it... I find this nice cozy spot to hide at for a few minutes figuring I can lay low... when these 2 kids come running right up to my spot with the cop not far behind them... needless to say I wasn't to fucking thrilled... now heres why...

1. the cop saw the area they ran to, meaning the cop knew where we were hiding and all he would have had to do is wait for backup to show up to bust us...

2. we were all in the same place, making it easier for the cop to bust all 3 of us...

3. I had legal issues with the VS already and certainly didn't want to end up having another conversation with them...

needless to say I had to school these kids on how to run... we ended up ditching that spot.. and getting away since the cop was to fucking fat to get out his car and chase us...

but seriously kids.. if you got to run split the fuck up... don't make it easier for them to catch you by sticking together...

have a spot in the area you can meet up at if you have to run.. some all night diner or pizza place.. or some shit...

oh yeah one more thing to add... if you are running and there is no chance of you getting away, its best to just stop running and get on the ground... I know a couple kids who have gotten hit with assaulting an officer from getting tackled and just instinctualy fighting back...

so my friend got busted walking down the street carrying paint. they didnt do the "we recieved a call thing" but insted they asked whats in the bag, and when asked for probably cuase or why he was stopped the reply was "i dont need a reason im a fucking cop."

is the only way out of this to counter sue or go through a huge legal hassle since they wrongly searched his bag. this also happen to several people comming to and from permission walls.

so my friend got busted walking down the street carrying paint. they didnt do the "we recieved a call thing" but insted they asked whats in the bag, and when asked for probably cuase or why he was stopped the reply was "i dont need a reason im a fucking cop."

is the only way out of this to counter sue or go through a huge legal hassle since they wrongly searched his bag. this also happen to several people comming to and from permission walls.

1; Tell your friend to tell his lawyer that he was illegally searched and leave it to the law-talking-guy to blow the case out of court.

a) I had a buddy have a cop leap out of the shadows at him so he fucking RAAAAAANNN! Well, the short story is that the cop tackles him shortly thereafter and arrests him BUT my buddy got off with a slap-on-the-wrist by pointing out to his lawyer that the cop never identified himself. WHAT? That's right, the cop could have been ANYBODY lunging from the shadows, so it was plead down to something inconsequential and my bud served one day at a soup kitchen!

2; Paint isn't a crime, if it was; the police would be parked outside home-depot and be bagging arrests all day long. If the cop can't connect you to a crime, then it isn't a crime! Evidence isn't evidence until it's attached to an illegal activity, you know? A blood-soaked shirt is only the result of a nosebleed until they find the body.

Yeah, run only if you know you can get away, or at least if you have the determination to run like you've never run before. Because the situation WILL much worse when the cop catches you after chasing you down. Once you are caught, you're better off not saying anything at all, period. No statement means all they can do is charge you with 'what happened', and if you were smart (not carrying around anything but essentials, meaning just your paint), it wont be much of anything compared to what it could be. Then again you could be TOYERONER LKU TYH of bumfuck new jersey and be out there with your hoodie, backpack, freshly purchased montana paint, markers, ink, digital camera with flicks, stickers... No officer I just keep these for art!

Also, I'd reccomend if you hit a spot and are basically out of paint, ditch it ASAP. It seems a high percentage of writers getting caught happens 'after the fact'-it is not so common for regular cops to actually seeing you do it. I say this because if the cop stops you and searches you and you don't have anything linking you to graff, they may just let you go. If they do find paint, and they see fresh paint on a wall, they may not be able to charge you with that but they sure as hell will charge you with what they can, some bullshit in the form of 'loitering'/'trespassing'/'prowling'... Ditching your paint and related materials weakens your connection to the crime, like an assasin ditching his weapon after the deed is done.

1; Tell your friend to tell his lawyer that he was illegally searched and leave it to the law-talking-guy to blow the case out of court.

a) I had a buddy have a cop leap out of the shadows at him so he fucking RAAAAAANNN! Well, the short story is that the cop tackles him shortly thereafter and arrests him BUT my buddy got off with a slap-on-the-wrist by pointing out to his lawyer that the cop never identified himself. WHAT? That's right, the cop could have been ANYBODY lunging from the shadows, so it was plead down to something inconsequential and my bud served one day at a soup kitchen!

2; Paint isn't a crime, if it was; the police would be parked outside home-depot and be bagging arrests all day long. If the cop can't connect you to a crime, then it isn't a crime! Evidence isn't evidence until it's attached to an illegal activity, you know? A blood-soaked shirt is only the result of a nosebleed until they find the body.

the laws in chicago are fuzzy, as to possession of paint, i know the sale of paint is banned within city limits but does that mean possession is a crime also? the sale of paint is only applicable to people over the age of 21 in the city, is that the age limit to carry paint? while in the suburbs the age limit is 18.

Paint isn't a crime, if it was; the police would be parked outside home-depot and be bagging arrests all day long. If the cop can't connect you to a crime, then it isn't a crime! Evidence isn't evidence until it's attached to an illegal activity, you know? A blood-soaked shirt is only the result of a nosebleed until they find the body.

Unfortunately, this isn't true everywhere in the states anymore. In some cities, having paint gives the cops the right to decide for themselves whether you earn "Graffiti Punk" status. In Chicago, Denver, and a few other cities across the U.S., it is now all police discretion.

Unfortunately, this isn't true everywhere in the states anymore. In some cities, having paint gives the cops the right to decide for themselves whether you earn "Graffiti Punk" status. In Chicago, Denver, and a few other cities across the U.S., it is now all police discretion.

I did not know that.

The only good news then is that cops, luckily, can only arrest you, they do not decide your fate. If you were smart enough to take Genome's advice and hook up with a lawyer, it's totally conceivable that, if there is no "crime," to attach you to that you'll get illegal possetion of paint, or whatever they call it, thrown out.

Unless you've been busted 3 times before that. In which case, maybe you should hang it up or consider running with a less conspicuous crew.

I did not know that.

The only good news then is that cops, luckily, can only arrest you, they do not decide your fate. If you were smart enough to take Genome's advice and hook up with a lawyer, it's totally conceivable that, if there is no "crime," to attach you to that you'll get illegal possetion of paint, or whatever they call it, thrown out.

Unless you've been busted 3 times before that. In which case, maybe you should hang it up or consider running with a less conspicuous crew.

The offense is usually called "Possession of Graffiti Implements/Instruments" in most locations.

And, yeah, you're right. In truth, once you've been busted successfully, and have a permanent record, it's going to be a lot harder to get away from a police encounter without being screwed. Still, remember to protect your search rights, and you should be able to prevent Probable Cause in many situations.

And for some of the long-term members of the Graffiti community, being busted three times is just peanuts. Like I said in an earlier post - if you maintain this lifestyle long enough, your chances of eventually being apprehended increase into the near-100% range.

-Genome

i would really be amused to know who you are.

I believe that! We could play 20 questions sometime.

The offense is usually called "Possession of Graffiti Implements/Instruments" in most locations.

And, yeah, you're right. In truth, once you've been busted successfully, and have a permanent record, it's going to be a lot harder to get away from a police encounter without being screwed. Still, remember to protect your search rights, and you should be able to prevent Probable Cause in many situations.

And for some of the long-term members of the Graffiti community, being busted three times is just peanuts. Like I said in an earlier post - if you maintain this lifestyle long enough, your chances of eventually being apprehended increase into the near-100% range.

-Genome

Woah woah woah. Nobody told me the cops will seriously bust me just for writing on walls! Fuck this, i'm out.

Dude, you're totally right. I was being sort of flippant about being busted 3 times. Not that this is necessarily the thread for this; but getting busted is sort of a necessity. It weeds out the dudes that can't take the heat, it makes you smarter, (or at least more paranoid) and it gives you a story to tell.

It still sucks though, and that's where this thread is really useful.

It's the coolest feeling in the world to walk away from a police encounter without getting arrested, it sort of makes me feel like Robin Hood, only not gay.

Back to the thread topic:

Something i thought of on the train last night; a little courtesy goes a long way with the cops, or rather; a lack of courtesy will get you in more trouble than it's worth. Even if a cop doesn't have the right to stop or search you, ANY resistance on your part will give him enough to bust you on resisting arrest-assaulting an officer. Assault is just the threat of violence, so it could simply be you saying "fuck off," and giving a defiant look; and resistance can be as simple as pulling away from an officer. On the other hand, being polite and confident in your rights can diffuse an police encounter, or at least give your lawyer more to work with for a plea-bargain or even getting it thrown out.

Lawyer up! Do it now! It's fun, AND easy!

It's the coolest feeling in the world to walk away from a police encounter without getting arrested, it sort of makes me feel like Robin Hood, only not gay.

No way, dude. I would ABSOLUTELY wear green tights when I paint, if it wasn't so damned conspicuous.

• 2 weeks later...
That "Am I being arrested?" line works wonders. Yeah.

Well, if you say it that way, it's not as helpful. Like I said, I recommend "Am I being placed under arrest at this time, or am I free to go?"

Also, since I've been getting requests from a lot of forum members for information about UK stop and search rights, but don't know jack about the UK personally, I am posting this link, HERE, which concerns UK search procedures and rights. Hope it answers everybody's questions.

And here is some VIDEO LINK that one of the forum members sent me. Fairly helpful, if, of course, you can get past the cheesy, stereotypical "American Teenagers" acting.

-Genome

• 2 weeks later...

INCOMING BEEF

Okay, as you guys know, I pretty much maintain my legal advice on this thread only, so I'm going to use it to address a statement that has been coming up a lot on other threads in this forum. And I quote:

"Always run! Fuck getting arrested."

Okay, we're going to take this one step at a time...

Typical Vandalism charges: Class B Misdemeanor

Possession of Graffiti Implements: Class C Misdemeanor

Criminal Mischief in the 2nd degree: Class A Misdemeanor

Attempt to Evade Officer of the Peace in the 2nd: Class D FELONY

Attempt to Evade Officer of the Peace in the 1st: Class C FELONY

So, there you go. Proof number one that you are idiots. You run, you get seven or eight cops after you instead of one. You run and they throw the book at you. You run and you are quite probably going to get caught. It's these guys' jobs to catch people like you when they run. They are very good at it, and they have a bunch of squad cars while you have nothing but your legs and a bag of paint slowing you down.

Secondly, you get busted, and you get hit with the Class D or Class C Felony, PLUS the charges for whatever they hit you with on your original crimes. And no matter what the law claims, in a court in the United States, running is an admission of guilt. So now you are caught, guilty of a felony and three or four misdemeanor counts instead of just the misdemeanor, the cops are pissed at you, and you don't get the satisfaction of pissing all over John Q. Law.

Whereas, if you would just listen to the advice of the people that have been doing this for a decade or two who keep saying the trick is to minimize your chances of getting caught, and behave in a rational manner during police encounters, you would have a single misdemeanor count that could probably be plead down to community service or dismissed completely. If you want to be a moron, by all means go ahead, fewer bad artists bumping around on my walls and busting my pieces.

It's like I've said I don't know how many times before - know how to be invisible, know when to run, know what's what, and know when to hold your ground and stand on your rights. No course of action is always right. You want to be a king, you have to get past the law every night, in every district. You need to be up everywhere. If you're a runner, they are looking for you - and it's time to find a new handle. Nobody wants to lose five years worth of built-up reputation over some grind with the Vandalism Squad.

So try thinking for once, and for FUCK'S SAKE, stop telling all the new and aspiring Graff artists that come on these forums to permanently fuck their criminal records just so your dumb ass can sound like a smartass. I like the Toys - I was one myself once. And I like to see them be able to progress instead of being hounded by the Vandalism Squad for the rest of their lives. This is a graffiti resource section - you want to yank yourself off, do it in Channel Zero or something. People come here for information - well thought out, well presented information. Don't be a fucktard.

BEEF COMPLETE

On a side note, I've been writing for 13 years now, and haven't had a single Felony to my name since before I was 16 - and that was for stealing a car, not vandalism. At 18 my record got expunged, and I haven't gotten a single Vandalism charge against me since then, and I've had plenty of run-ins with the law. Someday you guys might get a little older, like me, and want to also have a real job - I couldn't have gotten the job with the design firm that work at, were I to have applied with a listed felony on my criminal record. There's a perfectly good reason why I post this info for you young pups, and it isn't because I want the kudos. Graffiti kids can be really smart, talented people. And the field of art and design needs good, smart, talented people. I got my start on the streets, and now the streets are where I go to get back to basics. But if you play it smart Graffiti can turn into a life for you off the streets, just like it has for me and thousands of others. I know that when I was younger this wasn't much of a temptation, but we all grow up eventually. In the meantime just play it smart, okay, guys?

-Genome

Depends on the cans - certain cans that works, certain cans it doesn't. See elsewhere in the forums for more information - I know there was a thread on this three or four months ago in the Yard somewhere.

Search for "silencing cans" or something like that.