How do I: Buy a car

HardyHarHar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha!

Having worked in the automotive industry, the best advice one can be given is to shop around and if you find a model of car you like, drive a few of them to see if there are any strange noises that aren't meant to be there.

Therefore, never drive with the radio on while test driving. Make sure the car has complete books (I didn't when I brought mine, which was a mistake).

And never, ever, and this goes for everyone, purchase aftercare products (tinting/rustproofing/paint protection/spoilers/etc) from the car yard!!!!!! Shop around and you will save hundreds or even thousands!!!!!! Trust me on this!!!!!!!

....and if you arent buying a honda make sure to check out the consumer report on the car...there are a lot of nice looking cars that are complete pieces of shit...vws for example. oh, and luxury cars are not a good deal even if you can afford the actual car. you may get a break on the car but you will be fucked when it comes to repairs and upkeep. buying a car is pretty much research and common sense. just keep in mind you are the only person there who has your best interests at heart so act accordingly.

im going to have to disagree with you. i may be a little tainted due to the fact i used to own a corrado but still. my lady was looking at a passat and when i sat down to do the research it was not very impressive....actually it was beyond not impressive. its a piece of shit car. please also note the expensive vw parts for all of their models. it is definitaly not the best option when looking for a car.

i'll agree that its not the best option. and the last few years haven't been stunning, up til 01 they were though.

i'm just partial to them. i've rebuilt a 68 and a 71, have a project 67 with my dad thats been in works for like 5 years now. turning it into a pickup w/ a turbo diesel. it actually looks really good as we've modded the front fenders and hood shape, looks kinda like a mini-willy... also my first jetta an 87 was awesome and reliable. my 01 jetta was even better...

in conclusion, yeah... the new ones kind of suck, but he's not shopping for new, go for a 96-00 (01 weren't as good as 00) of any of their cars and you're as safe as you are with almost everyone else

im an auto tech.

there is some good advice on here and some that just made me laugh.

if you want a good reliable car, go japanese. the only problems i have seen with 90's hondas was the rusting out of the rear quarterpanels.

other than that, with proper maintenance they will run until hte body rusts off. i have a 90 prelude that will not die. i have been trying to kill it for 2 years now. its got 290K on it right now. the body is beat to all hell. i've been hit twice in it, and keep getting money for it, and keep on driving the car.

i would not recommend getting any european car unless you have a stuffed wallet. not that they are any more unreliable than other cars, its just the parts are rediculously priced, hard to get, hard to figure out, and working on them isnt easy. so you are guaranteed to get 600$ front brake job estimates.

i have a 01 jetta im trying to sell (anyone want it???)

as for american cars, they are alright. pretty economical to maintain, but things break often, you get weird driveability problems, etc etc. jap cars are now as cheap to maintain as any american car.

just make sure you do your timing belts, and checks ups. actually you could probably just do the timing belt and dog the hell out of it and get atleast 200K out of the car. with proper maintenance plan on 400K.

as for buying a car... its not that the auto industry is totally full of douche's, its just most people dont know thier ass from a hole in the ground. when people get a repair done, they'll say 'fuck, they charged me 500 bucks to put on a waterpump." but they dont factor in the diagnosis, the shit that they fucked up themselves trying to fix the problem, all the little parts and fluids that go with it, and the service. or they'll get an estimate for a timing belt and say 'shop A charges 150$ for it, why are you charging 450$ for it." the usual scenario is the latter shop is doing the waterpump, idlers, tensioners, drive belts, radiator flush, and an oil change while they are in there. it is important to understand what exactly you are getting an estimate for. but most people just tune this out, and say 'FUCK THAT IS EXPENSIVE, i want the cheaper job, its just a belt..." then 6 months later their belt on their honda accord breaks, bends all the valves and you are either looking for another car or putting out a grand or 2 for a new cylinder head because the waterpump you didnt want to replace failed and broke the belt.

and another thing to remember when buying a car, is to realize that SHIT ON CARS BREAK ALL THE TIME. you can buy a new car, and 3K miles later, something will break. so its not always truthful to say the used car dealer ripped me off, because a month after i got the car, the alternator failed.

just buy a honda, check the blue book to make sure youre getting a fair deal and make sure financing adds up. balk at the fees as well....half of it is bullshit.

Dealerships use whats called a black book. If you can find one you will know exactly what your car is worth. For every make and model it tells you what the car is worth as standard then they add a $100 if there is a sunroof ad 250 if there are running boards. Things like this. Ive seen trade ins get $1 before. I told the appraiser that was fucked up and that there was at least half a tank of gas in there.

anyway; serious post now.

honda is a safe bet for reliability, but, always pay the 100$ to have an inspection done (on ANYthing you are looking at)

ford/mazda late models have come a long way

toyota is overpriced and plagued (usually) with electrical problems

I love VW's, but, german\euro cars are "temperamental" (like a woman)

as far as dodge or chev goes, you get what you pay for (which isn't much) and something is bound to fuck up hard (this goes for mitsubishi as well) which is why they offer 100,000 mile warranties (to sell the bloody vehicle). my company uses dodge\chrysler as a fleet service and it would scare you some of the shit I've seen gone wrong with our vehicles

subaru is a problem waiting to happen (with the shittiest service departments in the world. if you want a headache for a vehicle *with a few minor exceptions - defy I'm looking in your direction* buy a subaru)

I realise that everyone has something to say about one brand or another, but I'm generalising here, take that into consideration. there are exceptions and horror stories with every vehicle brand out there...

in terms of the buying process...

don't buy on your first trip there.

don't let the salesman/manager act or seem like they are doing you a favour, cause they aren't

be as non-chalant as you can. they need your sale, you don't need their car.

buying new at a dealership sucks ass...

had my first battle the other night.

3 points to help you come out on top:

1-have financing lined up through a credit union with a good apr% before you go.

2-know your credit score

3-read reviews and call a few dealerships in your area to find out what incentives they have, and what they're going to do for you.

4-if you think you can get a better deal than what theyre offering, walk away! i had to the other night and this car was ideal for me...

I wanted to add that I bought the Camry I did (98) because it was a quiet ride and I knew it would be reliable. My dad even has an old, probably 88 Camry and he refuses to get rid of it because it still runs so well. That said I'm thinking, as I continue to get promotions, I may go for a Subaru WRX - is this a good choice? Should I buy a newer model Accord and disregard the expense?

Dealerships use whats called a black book. If you can find one you will know exactly what your car is worth. For every make and model it tells you what the car is worth as standard then they add a $100 if there is a sunroof ad 250 if there are running boards. Things like this. Ive seen trade ins get $1 before. I told the appraiser that was fucked up and that there was at least half a tank of gas in there.

i actually had this black book vs. blue book conversation/argument with a dealer when i bought my first honda. he threw out some bullshit price and when i looked at the blue book i said "sorry, thats not what this says, you need to drop the price". he responded with "well, my book says the car is worth this much". we went back and forth for a bit and needless to say we both wasted each others time that day and i walked down the street and bought from someone else.

that experience has pretty much set the tone for me when it comes to buying a car.

I wanted to add that I bought the Camry I did (98) because it was a quiet ride and I knew it would be reliable. My dad even has an old, probably 88 Camry and he refuses to get rid of it because it still runs so well. That said I'm thinking, as I continue to get promotions, I may go for a Subaru WRX - is this a good choice? Should I buy a newer model Accord and disregard the expense?

i have an 2005 wrx.. i love it.

go to a respectable used dealership. i'm sure you can figure out which those are and which those are NOT. they can take care of the rest for you. buy american. because asians are faggots, no offense asians. do not buy a subaru because aussies are faggots. euro cars are okay. german. what are you looking for? if you're financing def. get as much for a down as possible, and make sure your insurance is relatively in line before you officially sign your life to the car...

any questions specifically?

American made vehicles can suck shit out of my asshole.