How do I: Buy a car

HardyHarHar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

usually that's REALLY bad... except in some very specific types of cases it will stop you from registering the car (meaning 'getting a license plate') AND prevent the car from being insured.

There are ways that the 'currently' registered owner of the car can get a duplicate title from the state but it's next to impossible if you buy the car without title and then try to get it "re-titled"...

Also, on the Title tip... I forget the commonly used letter but it's like S (for salvage)... The letter will usually appear at the end of the VIN number on the title but look into it for your state and know that you NEVER want one of those type cars/titles. It basically means it's been 'totaled' previously by an insurance company and that in itself can void all sorts of warranties AND make the car difficult to insure.

I drove a Mecedes until I didn't, but it still runs just fine and it's 32 years old, it sits in the garage. I've MAYBE put $900 into it in the 10 years I've had it. Still, I wouldn't recommend it for a first timer...

All this Honda talk sounds nice, they DON'T break, but the frontend cost, even on a used Honda, is formidable. Toyotas are long runners too and WAY less to get into and maintain.

The main thing I would say is look for a car that's older than 2 years and younger than 4. DRIVE IT! In fact, drive it straight to a mechanic or take a mechanic to the car dealership (a REAL mechanic, not some frined that 'knows about cars'). Still, in most states there's a VERY SHORT return period for cars, like 5 days. It doesn't cost much to take the car to a mechanic and have him check it out. Often there are things that are obvious to the true professional that are fully lost on regular joes so, seriously, that part is mandatory when buying a used car.

So, in review, get a slightly used japanese import and take it to a mechanic the day you buy it... Happy Motoring!

well that benz im guessing is a diesel benz.. which are nice if you know how to take care of them.. if anything ever breaks you take the motor apart and put it back together. and it works fine again.

toyotas are great cars.. there was just something 94+ that went wrong on the production line of camry's theres brake issues and electrical issues with a good majority of them. for instance put a 94 accord's used value up against a 04 camry's value.. theres a reason for the difference. 88/89/90 camry's are fucking tanks.. i have a buddy that has one with over 375k on it and it still runs perfectly fine. Carolas are nice and cheap and were pretty good through out the 90's.. i could care less for the new ones.

im no mechanic.. but i do love cars, i know what to listen to, look at,... etc at dealerships when buying a car.

interms of buying a car with out a title.. or no way to obtain a title.. that shit better be a race car or a show car. or you can try to request a title if the previous owner lives in the same state. other than that bad idea #1.

I have a late 90's Camry and there is a lot that makes me unhappy about it, but in a year I have not had to take it in once. Good car if you don't really care about or know cars...

late 90's as in 99? it was moreso with that 93-96 and very early 97 body style. thats the era im talking about.

edoggg it's a 1975 but it was the last year for that body style and config. I think they kept the matching wheels until around '78 when they started putting those ugly alloy wheels that went on everything through the 90's...

And, as long as we're talking about 'wanting'... what I want is for these 'future' companies that are currently conquering the gasoline problem to get it done... I mean, it seems to me like the public at large isn't really gonna be satisfied until they produce a fuel that is environmentally safe and cheaper than a mud puddle... and when THAT happens I am gonna be right in the Retro car manufacturing industry.

I want every kind of 48 Packard, but of course I'd refab the bodies using fiberglass... plus a ton of others that I will probably wait until this imaginary company turns a real profit.

I think I want to buy American, for the cheap parts. I want a sedan or smaller, because I won't be hauling anything. I want cheap, basically, get me from place to place. Low gas mileage is a big plus.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Ford.

I can't vouch for other american companies, but I can vouch that Ford makes stupendous piles of garbage.

To be on the safe side I'd stay away from American in general.

My favorite car so far was a Honda Accord, fast, fun as hell, low gas mileage, safe (I rolled without a scratch on me), nice looking car and they keep their value waaaay more than Ford.

You can get em for cheap, or expensive depending on what you want.

Good luck.

Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, and Nissan/Infiniti are the way to go. I was a Honda tech for 3 years and have been an enthusiast for many more. I never saw any come in for major repairs, except some of the early 00's V6 vehicles that had automatic trans problems, but there was a recall to correct the problem and if not then they were covered by warranty. Get a Honda Accord with 4 cyl. and a manual trans. and youre guaranteed to have a car with a very long service life, and make sure you do the big services as far as maintainence like the 30K, 60K, 90K, and your timing belt.

Driving a lesabre is like driving a couch.

If you've driven one you know what I mean.

I had '92 Buick Regal (shout out to Beardo!) and it was the plushest car I ever drove... if it wasn't so cushy I might have heard the waterpump going bad before it blasted out on the highway while I was going to a gallery show plus a long night of drinking... (yeah, I didn't let some car failure stop me, but that's why I'm PRO!)